16 Things You Know If You're From McAlester, Oklahoma

If you are from McAlester, you know what I'm talking about.

572
City of McAlester

If you grew up in McAlester, Oklahoma, you've learned a few truths about it. While the majority of the people constantly talk about leaving "Mac," there's a certain feeling of home that will always be there. You grew up on drinking endless amounts of sweet tea, high school and college football games, and the craziest weather. So, here are the 16 truths you've come to know about McAlester.

1. You are always reminded of the prison.

"Isn't that where the state penitentiary is?" Yes... and we all have some memories of the prison rodeo (you heard me). I'm too young to remember the details, but I know I went every year it was held until it was discontinued. Oh, and you can't forget how creepy it can be to see hitchhikers on Highway 270...

2. You know where all of the cops hide.

If nothing else, you know that McAlester and Krebs cops will ticket you for speeding on Highway 69, or anywhere in town. That being said, you know exactly when and where you should slow down

3. Everyone hangs out at Walmart.

McAlester is a small town with almost nothing to do. So, growing up, you would always just go to Walmart with your friends to pass time. It might not have seemed ideal, but you always had fun making those memories, whether it was riding the bikes up and down the aisles or being asked to leave.

4. You forget that a lot of other places don't have sweet tea.

"I'm sorry, but we only have unsweet tea." "Oh... I'll just take water, then."

5. If you want a fancy dinner, you head to Little Italy.

Birthdays, anniversaries, proms, and most other special occasions usually involve one of the Italian restaurants in Krebs, Oklahoma, which is known as Oklahoma's Little Italy. Any event that calls for a fancy dinner can be found at Pete's Place, Roseanna's, or the Isle of Capri.

6. If you want to go shopping, get ready to make the hour and a half drive to Tulsa.

There are a lot of places to shop for clothes in McAlester, but if you're in desperate need for a new wardrobe, you will always make the drive to Tulsa. I went to Woodland Hills Mall countless times for prom dresses, or if I wanted a to buy name-brand clothes, such as Abercrombie & Fitch shirts, which were popular in 2011. Even if you didn't want to shop, you went anyways because you know that you'll get to eat at a restaurant that's not Chili's or Rib Crib.

7. You know that avoiding Carl Albert will get you anywhere faster.

You always get stopped by red lights at least four times, unless you're lucky and hit all the green lights.

8. Hunting season = absences.

You discover that everyone gets "sick" right around the time hunting season starts. Also, your Instagram and Facebook feeds are filled with pictures of deer, turkeys, ducks, and anything and everything people hunt for awhile.

9. Everyone wears camouflage.

Camo boots, jackets, hoodies, leggings, boots, even prom dresses... camouflage is everywhere all the time.

10. Football is a big deal.

Whether you're sitting on the bleachers at Hook Eales Stadium cheering on the Buffs or sitting in front of your TV on Saturdays for OU or OSU football, you know it's like a religion.

11. People love their trucks.

Need I say anything else? We all know someone who's obsessed with his or her truck.

12. We love our local shops.

Downtown isn't a big place, but everyone goes there sometimes to shop. Also, places like Harbor Mountain and Marilyn's are great local places to eat.

13. Senior pictures are taken either in fields, Puterbaugh Gardens, on the street, on a type sporting field, on top of the Aldridge, or in some abandoned place.

All of mine were there.

14. The weather is bipolar.

The temperature in December literally went from 9 degrees to 65 degrees in three days. You always hear, "If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes."

15. Eighth grade graduations are more important than high school graduations.

It's weird, but a lot of kids go to schools that only go up to eighth grade, so the eighth grade graduations are a huge deal in most areas of McAlester. Your eighth grade year was probably very memorable because it was the last year before you and all of your friends parted ways and went to different high schools.

16. McAlester is a home.

Like I said, we all dream of leaving that small town, but no matter how far we go, we will always hold a weird but special place in our hearts for McAlester. It's got a certain charm that makes us feel at home.