16 Signs You Grew Up Irish Dancing

16 Signs You Grew Up Irish Dancing

"Irish dance is not a phase." - Anonymous

270
16 Signs You Grew Up Irish Dancing

When most people hear the words "Irish dancing," they think of someone--more specifically, often Michael Flatley--jumping around and doing complicated, fancy footwork with his arms tight to his sides. When I hear the words "Irish dancing," I think of my childhood, and the good, bad, and ugly traits that come with this ancient style of performance. There are many unique aspects to this art form that may not be understood unless you too were an ID kid. Here are a few of the signs that you grew up taking Irish dance lessons.

1. You are able to distinguish the difference between reels and jigs, even in popular music.

"Cheap Thrills" by Sia is a slow reel, for example. So is "Work from Home" by Fifth Harmony. See? It's inevitable.

2. You know that poodle socks aren't covered in pictures of dogs.

Nor are they socks made of poodle hair. They don't have anything to do with poodles or dogs, really.

3. Having your hands strapped to your sides by a belt or tie is completely normal.

Because how else would you learn how to dance with just your legs?

4. You start tapping your toes the second you hear a song with a catchy rhythm...

It's bound to happen. Bonus points if the song has a fiddle and/or accordion.

5. ...And tap dancing comes easily to you.

Although they're different in many ways, hard shoes and tap shoes are similar enough that stomping out a rhythm in Tap class is easy peasy.

6. You know how to pronounce words like "feis," "Oireachtas," and "ceili."

It always felt so cool knowing a few words in another language!

7. You have trouble dancing with the upper half of your body.

With your hands constantly strapped to your sides, it's no wonder!

8. As a child, your dream job was performing in Lord of the Dance or Riverdance.

The Irish version of wanting to be a ballerina when you grew up.

9. You always had bruises on your ankles from missing your front and back clicks.

The heels of hard shoes are painful, man!

10. You're afraid to wear a skirt without some sort of lollies on underneath.

Because what if you suddenly need to kick up your heels and your underwear is there for everyone to see!?

11. You know the horrors of orange legs and a pale upper body.

Because for some reason it didn't matter if your insanely spray-tanned lower half and white-as-a-ghost upper half matched.

12. You have no trouble doing butt-kickers in a workout.

After years of being told to "kick your butt," it's hard to lose that ability.

13. You know how annoying perpetually sticky calves are.

Thanks, sock glue.

14. People constantly asked whether that was your "real hair."

Yeah right, as if I could get my hair this curly at any point in time.

15. Your iTunes library is full of Celtic rock music.

You hated the sounds of bagpipes and bodhrans all throughout your dancing years, yet somehow they still survive on your iPod.

16. You relish any opportunity to show off your skills, because you're incredibly proud of your heritage.

And why not? If you weren't proud of it, you wouldn't have gotten involved in a cultural phenomenon like this. Any chance you get to pull out your shoes and perform is a chance you'll take, because even though it was stressful, exhausting, and painful, it was also a lot of fun.