1. You don’t go ‘to the beach’, you go ‘down the shore’.
2. You can think of the locations of at least four different Wawas within a five minute drive.
“There’s one by the highway, one by Target, one by the post office, one on the corner…” Wawas aren’t just a convenience store, they’re a way of life.
3. It will be 10 degrees one day and 65 degrees the next day in the middle of January.
This isn’t even an exaggeration.
4. You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.
And depending on where you live, maybe four or five.
5. Memorial Day Weekend is one of the biggest weekends of your year, and it is most likely taking place in Wildwood.
Planning for Memorial Day Weekend starts in February; we don’t mess around.
6. Storybook Land was THE place to go as a child.
Field trips here were the most exciting part of your year.
7. You have mastered the jughandle and can maneuver a traffic circle successfully, but you don’t know how to pump your own gas.
Turning left is a nightmare when out of state drivers don’t know what they’re doing.
8. You describe where you live in reference to either Cherry Hill or Philly.
I cannot tell you how many times I’ve told people, “You’ve probably never heard of the town I live in, I’m about twenty minutes from Philly, 20 minutes from Cherry Hill.” And you’d be surprised by how many people actually get an accurate idea of where I live from that.
9. You go into Philly when you’re bored.
And also for holiday parades, and concerts, and birthday dinners, and sports games, and every other event you could possibly think of. You basically know Philly like it’s the back of your hand.
10. Speaking of, we don’t call Philadelphia by its full name, it’s just Philly.
11. Literally NOBODY pronounces it as “Joisey”.
Every time we hear someone from out of state pronounce it like that, we cringe.
12. We are embarrassed about the Jersey Shore.
No, we don’t know Snooki. Please don't bring it up again.
13. For the most part you support Philly sports teams.
Fill in the blanks: “Fly Eagles, Fly! On the _____ ___ ______!”
14. You know at least a dozen people who go to/went to Rutgers.
And you’ve probably applied there, or will apply there, if you’re still in high school.
15. You almost never say the “New” in New Jersey. It’s North or South Jersey.
They really should just be two separate states at this point.
16. No matter what anyone says, you will always be proud to be from Jersey.