16 Great Things From 2016

16 Great Things From 2016

Because 2016 wasn't as bad as your Twitter feed is telling you

10
16 Great Things From 2016
YouTube

In the last few weeks, social media has made us believe that 2016 was one of the worse years in our history. Social media, which constantly wages war against reality, has mourned countless deaths, hidden countless humanitarian wins, and skewed image after image. All this and the unappeasable beast of optimism that resides inside me has motivated me to find 16 incredible moments of 2016.

1. The Ikea Foundation develops a shelter for refugees

The product called ‘Better Shelter’ is an ecofriendly small shelter that can be assembled in under 4 hours. Equipped with locks and a solar power roof, 16,000 of these safe, temporary units were sent to the Greece and Macedonia boarder by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. The units are most popularly used for homes, hospitals, and schools.

2. Iko: A futuristic prosthetic arm

Developed by Carlos Arturo Torres, Iko is specifically designed for children who have lost arms. Torres worked in a lab in Denmark making sure the arm and hand could manage and properly play with Legos (which we all know is one of the most annoyingly small toys).

3. Child Mortality is down

Death in general is trending down, but we see that in 2010, child mortality was at 51.7, which means that per 1000 live births, 51.7 children under the age of 5 died. Today, that number is 42.5. Child death is down 44% in Cambodia, 22% in Cameroon, 17% in Afghanistan, 32% in Ethiopia and 30% in Kenya since 2008. In 2016 alone, Russia’s child mortality dropped 12%. Only two countries that World Bank reports on have numbers that show increased child death rates since 2008.

4. 50 Million trees planted in one day

On July 11, volunteers planted 50 million trees in Allahabad, India. The 800,000 volunteers planted local species along roads and on public land. India has 6 of the most polluted cities in the world and this initiative is hoping to dissolve some of the pollution for India’s 1.25 billion inhabitants. India will be keeping up with the trees via non-invasive aerial footage.

5. Ebola vacinne found

A 2016 trial of the vaccine in Guniea found the drug to be 100% affective. All Ebola in the trial was eradicated in 10 days or less. The name of the vaccine is rVSV-ZEBOV and Merck, a manufacturer, has 300,000 doses ready at the next outbreak.

6. Countless animals no longer endangered

Here are 8 animals that came out of endangerment in 2016 and when they were put on the endangerment list: American Alligator(1960’s), White Rhino (1800’s), Grizzly Bear (1970’s), Siberian Tiger (1940’s), Humpback Whale (1970), Island Fox (1990’s), Golden Monkey (1980’s), Wood Stork (1980’s), and Przewalski’s Horse (1960’s).

7. Economy around the world grow

Countless countries around the world became economically stronger in 2016. Vietnam reported a 6.2% growth, Haiti record 1.4% growth, Israel 3.85%, China 6.5%, and the US is up 3.5%. Four key African countries regain economic strength on the continent: Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Rwanda.

8. Cubs win the World Series

After a 108 year championship drought, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series in Chicago against the Cleveland Indians. 5 million people showed up to the championship parade, making it the largest gathering of humans in recorded history.

9. Religious leaders meet

Pope Francis (Catholic) and Patriarch Kirill (Eastern Orthodox) meet in Havana, Cuba. This marks the first time the two religions figureheads have met since 1054.

10. New face of the $20

Harriet Tubman, a woman and freed slave, will grace the US $20 bill. Tubman beat out Rosa Parks and Eleanor Roosevelt for the spot. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew also announced that the back of the $5 and $10 bills will behold women like Susan B. Anthony.

11. Teen pregnancy drops

In 2016, the 2014 numbers for teen pregnancy were announced. Between 2013 and 2014, the amount of children born to teenagers dropped 9%. According to the CDC, teen pregnancy dropped 11% for non-Hispanic blacks, 9% for Hispanics, and 7% for whites.

12. The US dominates in the Olympics

The US won 121 medals in the 2016 Rio Olympics with Michael Phelps winning his 23th individual gold medal and his 28th overall. Phelps overcame a 2000 year old record for medals, which was held my Leonidas of Rhodes, who competed in the Olympics in 160 BC. More from the pool, Simone Manuels, a 20 year old from Texas, became the first African American woman to win an individual gold medal in swimming. Also American Simone Biles is being crowned as the best gymnast of all time, at 19.

13. America becomes measles-free

In September, the World Health Organization deemed the Americas as being measles free. This caps off a 22 year campaign to eradicate the disease and claims that measles is the fifth disease to be eliminated from the Americas. According to the CDC, 20 million people worldwide get measles and 146,000 people (17 an hour) die from the virus. This achievement brings hope to other areas of the world, that they too can eradicate this underestimated killer.

14. Malaria deaths down

Since 2000, worldwide deaths by Malaria have decreased 60%. While Malaria is still a threat to 40% of the world, this 60% decrease is a hopeful look into the future.

15. The world sets eco-friendly precedent

Norway became the first nation to commit zero deforestation. The gaping hole in the ozone layer shrunk by 3.9 million square kilometers since 2006. People of Mumbai cleaned 4,000 tons of garbage off their beaches. Plastic bag usage in England dropped.

16. US donations hit record high

In 2016 alone, the United States donated $373.25 billion to charitable causes. This is up 10% over 2014 and 2015, after inflation is adjusted. Think about this: 318.9 million people donated $373.25 billion.

2016 doesn't seem to bad now does it?