16 Artists You Should Check Out If You Listen To Indie Pop

If you love Ingrid Michelson or The Lumineers, you're in for some great new music finds!

4699

Do you listen to Sara Bareilles, Regina Spektor and Ingrid Michaelson like it's your religion? Are The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons your baes? I love my classic indie pop favorites, but I’m always on the hunt for new and exciting music! If these singers are your style and your old tunes are getting stale, I’ve got you covered! Here are 16 fantastic artists you absolutely must listen to (in no particular order)!

1. Basia Bulat.

You Might Know Them For: “Fool”- Good Advice.

Why They’re Great: Basia Bulat is a great new find of mine! I love how unique her sound is and the way she mixes folk with pop.

Other Song Recommendations: “It Can’t Be You”- Basia Bulat, “Infamous”- Basia Bulat.

2. Passenger.

You Might Know Them For: “Let Her Go”- All the Little Lights.

Why They’re Great: I’m sure you already know Passenger for his most famous song, “Let Her Go,” but there’s so much more incredible music where that came from! Passenger’s lyrics are so so beautiful and all his songs never get old for me.

Other Song Recommendations: “Scare Away the Dark”- Whispers, “Shape of Love” (feat. Boy & Bear)- Flight of the Crow.

3. The Head and the Heart.

You Might Know Them For: “Rivers and Roads”- The Head and the Heart.

Why They’re Great: The Head and the Heart has some really pretty ballads that are perfect for when you’ve had a long day and just need to chill with some great music.

Other Song Recommendations: “Lost in My Mind- The Head and the Heart, “Winter Song”- The Head and the Heart.

4. Brandi Carlile.

You Might Know Them For: “Heart’s Content”

Why They’re Great: Brandi Carlile is amazing! She has an incredible, strong voice with a little bit of country twang.

Other Song Recommendations: “Wherever Is Your Heart”- The Firewatcher’s Daughter, “Raise Hell”- Bear Creek.

5. Dresses.

You Might Know Them For: “Sun Shy”- Sun Shy.

Why They’re Great: Dresses is a group with some super fun songs and really inventive lyrics! Some of their music is more pop style and some has that ukulele we all love, so they’re great for all of your Indie Pop needs.

Other Song Recommendations: “Catch”- Let Down, “Blew My Mind”- Dresses.

6. Colony House.

You Might Know Them For: “Silhouettes”- When I was Younger.

Why They’re Great: Colony House is a really cool band that’s probably closer to the “Indie Rock” genre.

Other Song Recommendations: “Roll With the Punches”- When I Was Younger, “Lose Control”- When I Was Younger.

7. Birdy.

You Might Know Them For: “Skinny Love”- Birdy.

Why They’re Great: You’ve definitely heard her gorgeous cover of Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love”, and you’ve probably also sobbed while she serenades you during "The Fault In Our Stars movie," but Birdy has so much more beautiful music too! Girl’s got pipes. Her voice is literally angelic. Be sure to check out her new album which just came out a few months ago!

Other Song Recommendations: “Shadow”- Beautiful Lies, “Beautiful Lies”- Beautiful Lies.

8. George Ezra.

You Might Know Them For: “Budapest”- Did You Hear the Rain.

Why They’re Great: I love George Ezra’s deep, raspy voice which bears a little bit of resemblance to Hozier’s. His songs are too catchy!

Other Song Recommendations: “Leaving It Up To You”- Wanted On Voyage, “Blame It On Me”- Wanted On Voyage.

9. Ryn Weaver.

You Might Know Them For: “OctaHate”- The Fool.

Why They’re Great: A friend of mine just recently showed Ryn Weaver to me and I’m so happy she did! She kind of has an Ellie Goulding vibe. Her voice is gorgeous and her songs are really unique and fun.

Other Song Recommendations: “Pierre”- The Fool, New Constellations- The Fool.

10. Brett Dennen.

You Might Know Them For: “Ain’t No Reason”- The Definitive Collection.

Why They’re Great: Brett Dennen is awesome. He kind of looks like Ed Sheeran and his voice kind of sounds like Passenger, and his music is kind of a mix of the two, so it’s perfect! I also love his lyrics.

Song Recommendations: “Darlin’ Do Not Fear”- So Much More, “Make You Crazy” (feat. Femi Kuti)- Hope for the Hopeless.

11. First Aid Kit.

You Might Know Them For: “My Silver Lining”- Stay Gold.

Why They’re Great: I love First Aid Kit’s super pretty folky sound!

Other Song Recommendations: “King of the World”- The Lion’s Roar, “America” (cover of Simon & Garfunkel)- America.

12. Iron & Wine.

You Might Know Them For: “Flightless Bird, American Mouth”- The Shepherd’s Dog.

Why They’re Great: Iron & Wine sings these beautiful guitar-accompanied songs with beautiful (and usually sad) lyrics that are sure to make you cry.

Other Song Recommendations: “Naked As We Came”- Our Endless Numbered Days.

“Such Great Heights” (cover of The Postal Service)- Around the Well.

13. Gabrielle Aplin.

You Might Know Them For: “Please Don’t Say You Love Me”- English Rain EP.

Why They’re Great: Gabrielle Aplin’s voice is so smooth and lovely to listen to and her songs are super well-written.

Other Song Recommendations: “Home”- English Rain EP, “Panic Cord”- English Rain EP.

14. Fiona Apple.

You Might Know Them For: “Criminal”- Tidal.

Why They’re Great: Fiona Apple is so so cool. If you like really unique, sometimes a little weird, music-- think Regina Spektor, but not quite as weird, you will love Fiona Apple!

Other Song Recommendations: “Paper Bag”- When the Pawn…, Hot Knife- The Idler Wheel Is Wiser than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More than Ropes Will Ever Do (Yes-- that is indeed the title of the album.)

15. The Avett Brothers.

You Might Know Them For: “I and Love and You”- I and Love and You

Why They’re Great: The Avett Brothers have a folky twang that I absolutely love! If you like Mumford & Sons, these guys are great.

Other Song Recommendations: “Open Ended Life”- Magpie and the Dandelion, “Live and Die”- The Carpenter.

16. A Fine Frenzy.

You Might Know Them For: “Almost Lover”- One Cell In the Sea.

Why They’re Great: I went through a period of obsession with A Fine Frenzy probably around freshman year of high school and it never really ended. I love Alison Sudol’s mainly nature-inspired lyrics and beautiful voice and instrumentation.

Other Song Recommendations: “The Minnow and the Trout”- One Cell In the Sea, “Avalanches”- Pines.

I hope you love these incredible artists! If you have some that you think I might like, always let me know-- I want to hear your recommendations!