15 Ways You Can Give Back Today

15 Ways You Can Give Back Today

Buy and give back all at once.

20
15  Ways You Can Give Back Today
Wordpress

As I sit down to think about what I will write about this week, I look down and notice the writing on my necklace. It says "Half United Fighting Hunger". Then it hit me-- there are so many companies that sell items I buy on a daily basis and they give back to help the world. So why do we not buy from these companies instead? People don't know about them in order to buy from them. Here are a handful of the companies you didn't know you needed to know (or maybe you did and therefore you should be buying from them).

1. Warby Parker

Eyeglasses, Sunglasses, man or woman, they have it all. Instead of buying your glasses at a store, go online to warbyparker.com and just browse. You can choose five frames, keep them for five days AND they will ship them to you for FREE. Warby Parker tallies up the number of glasses it sells every month and makes a donation to the non-profit that covers the amount for the sources of every pair of glasses. The non-profit then trains people in these countries to give basic eye exams and be able to sell the glasses so that people in these communities can AFFORD to buy glasses. I can't imagine trying to go about my daily life with a blurry view of the world. So for everyone who can't imagine that either, think about the people in countries who need these glasses and go to Warby Parker to buy yours.

2. Alex and Ani

So everyone has probably heard of the eco-conscious jewelry brand Alex and Ani, but what you didn't know was that by buying one of their bracelets in the Charity by Design collection you can give back to a number of charities. They have everything from sea turtles to world peace; you have your pick.

3. Half United Fighting Hunger

A bullet case shell is hanging around my neck, not because I am an avid shooter or even own a gun but because HU decided to take a step to FIGHT hunger. They not only found a way to use recycled materials to create their product but they also give money to buy food for children in need. For every necklace you buy, you donate seven meals for a child in need. Every time I look in my closet and see that necklace, it has so much more meaning than everything else on my jewelry tree.

4. Sevenly

"Imagine having to swim through dangerous waters just to get to school – to get to a place where you can learn. That’s how it is for many kids in the thousands of islands that comprise the Philippines." "Cultivate kindness" and "People matter" are just two of their slogans printed on a multitude of clothing items ready to be bought to donate money to your choice of organization.

5. Free Kibble

I don't know about you, but when I was 11 I was busy thinking about American Girl Dolls and riding my pony. Meanwhile this 11-year-old was busy creating a way for homeless dogs and cats to have the food they needed. Feel good about yourself now? Participate in the Free Kibble questios everyday and you can make up for all the time you wasted on dolls and ponies. Free Kibble has donated over 16 million meals to dogs and cats in shelters. Click here and have email reminders sent to you so you can answer a question every day and donate some kibble. I can't think of an easier way to donate.

6. Man Cans

So unlike the first link that popped up when I Googled "man candles,"-- which is the inventor of the "fart candle" (gross)-- this kid created a candle that also provided a can of food for homeless shelters. He is a true entrepreneur. For every candle you buy you donate a can of food because instead of using glass for his candle bases he is using the can from the food. If you're anything like me, from covering up the smells of my dogs to the smell of that thing rotting in my fridge that I forgot was there, I am always trying to find the perfect candle. From now on I will go to Man Cans' SheCans collection and feed the hungry to make up for the food rotting in my fridge that I wasted.

7. Marky, The Do Good Marker

One of the more personal organizations, this non-profit is designed to help children in Guatemala get the education they deserve. They have opened two schools that serve more than 300 Guatemalan children. So go buy your markers! And like Marky says, "Let your imagination run wild!"

8. Shop with Meaning

So if you're thinking, "This is a great start, but how do I find out about all of the companies that are socially responsible?" Shop With Meaning is a website designed to do just that. They have listed all the different organizations designed to help the world, organized by cause.

9. WeWood

If your passion is the environment then you should perk your ears up with this one. For every wooden watch created from scrap wood, they plant a tree. The goal is one million trees by the year 2020. To help the cause, go buy a beautiful wooden watch right now.

10. Kammok

So everyone has heard of Eno but have you heard of Kammok? This hammock is very similar but is part of the 1% For The Planet cause. Anyone who has a desire for adventure and has yet to buy a portable hammock go to ADVENTURE + COMMUNITY + LOVE and fullfill your curiosity in the oudoors.

11. Visible Clothing

Something not discussed enough are sweatshops. Yes, they are still in existence. We continue to remain ignorant because ignorance is bliss. Well, Visible Clothing has made a stand for fairly made clothing. "We produce quality, affordable, fashionable, ethical clothes at The Visible Factory; our very own Fairtrade certified factory in Dharamsala, India." Click on the link and go buy cute and fairly made clothing to support to the act against sweatshops.

12. Hydros

Water is one of the essentials to life that we take for granted. Not one day have I ever woken up wondering where I would find clean water. There are people in the world that do. Through Operation Hydros, we can play a tiny role in helping give clean water to these people. Buy one bottle and a person gets clean water for a whole year. To buy a bottle just click here. Buy a bottle and give water to someone in need.

13. FEED

World hunger is a real problem. 94,952,922 meals are provided through FEED. Fair-labor conditions. Environmentally friendly materials. Providing meals in the countries they were produced. Closing the loop on investments in these communities. Ending world hunger. Do your part to end world hunger by going to FEED and buying an item.

14. Blanket America

Buy one. Give one. Blanket America wants to take out the intermediaries in the traditional charity. Buy a blanket and give a blanket to someone who needs one this winter.

15. Charity Miles

Need a different way to do your part to give back? Well this is for everyone who loves to be active. Get on board with this organization and make the miles you run matter. For every mile you run, .25 cents are donated to your pick of charity. So download the app and hit the roads to give money. Charity Miles