15 Ways To Combat The Freshman 15

15 Ways To Combat The Freshman 15

Those cursed 15 pounds that can ruin any freshman's year.

27
15 Ways To Combat The Freshman 15

The dreaded freshman 15 is infamously known to be the downer of everyone's freshman year. Those pesky 15 lbs sneak in through 2 a.m. pizza and stocking up on fries in the dining hall. While it is easy to fall victim to the freshman 15, there are (sometimes creative) ways to fight it.

1. See how many fruits and vegetables you can eat in one day.

I always challenge myself to see how many different kinds of fruits and vegetables I can eat in one day (my record is six). If you make it a game with yourself, it's easier to eat healthy and when you fill yourself up on fruits and veggies, you're less likely to binge on oreos later.

2. Take the stairs. Every time.

Even when the laundry room is in the basement and you're on the third floor, take the stairs. Don't get into the habit of using the elevator because it'll just make you lazy.

via gipirific.com

3. Water, no soda.

Water is essential for any healthy diet, and luckily its always sugar free. Now having soda occasionally is fine, but if you drink soda at every meal you're guaranteed to gain a couple of pounds. Stop sucking down the sugar and go natural.

4. Every time you drop something, squat it up.

A creative way to sneak it a quick work out is to squat every time you need to pick something up. Be careful though, this may look weird in public.

5. Walk and talk.

There are too many times were I have gone out to eat, just so I could sit around a table to gossip with friends. I always end up eating much more junk food and sitting an extra hour. Instead of going to meet with friends to talk over coffee, suggest a walk. It gets you moving and you can probably walk a couple of miles and not even realize it.

via giphy.com

6. Skinny pop>butter popcorn.

It's hard not to resist the deliciousness of buttered popcorn but as a dorm snack it can be dangerous. There are so many healthy alternatives to try now, and luckily you don't have to wait two minutes for it to pop. Thank god for healthy snacks.

7. Standing in line? Calf raises.

Luckily, you can do this exercise in public because it just looks like you're standing on your tippy-toes. Also it burns 50 calories, and it tones your calves. Easy way to maintain nice legs.

8. Join intramural clubs.

Exercise is a lot easier when you are doing something you love. If you find a sport or activity that interests you, you're more likely to be consistent with the exercise and less likely to quit. Plus it's a great way to make friends.

via headoverfeels.com

9. Netflix + crunches.

If you put your laptop a little higher up, you can crunch and watch TV at the same time. The ultimate college multitasking.

10. Or do a mini workout, between episodes.

Another way to binge watch Netflix without feeling guilty is to try and squeeze a mini workout in between, when the clock is clicking down to start the next episode. You can also work out through the opening credits. Think about how many pushups you could do in the opening song of Orange is the New Black.

via giphy.com

11. Stressed? Run it off.

Running can help clear your mind and it's a good distraction when you're stress about homework. Plus, it's also a good way to explore campus, especially when you run to place out of the way (@Carroll).

12. Go off campus to eat.

By making yourself walk off and on campus, you're adding a little exercise with your meal. However, this might be pointless if you're walking off campus to go to Chipotle.

via buzzfeed.com

13. Jumping jacks.

Jumping jacks can be a good study break, especially when you alternate 50 jumping jacks per reading. It can also help you stay motivated through homework.

14. Make your plate colorful.

Try to load up your plate with natural colors. Not only will it look pretty, you'll also be loading up on healthy food.

15. Whatever you do, avoid the cookies in the South Dining Hall.

They're addicting and the bane of my entire existence.

Header via tvguide.com