15 Unrealistic Expectations For The Summer Fling You Want But Will Never Have

We all may never have that experience of a summer romance, but at least we can fantasize about one.

98
New Line Cinema

Everyone has those fantasies of having their own summer romance that is just like the books and young adult novels we all seem to love.

Now that summer is finally here, it is time to accept that this may not happen to us and live out Summer '18 the best we can. For now, though, let us all take a moment and bask in the daydreaming of having that perfect summer fling that we all know isn't going to happen.

Why can't everyone have a relationship as perfect as the one between Miley and Liam in "The Last Song"?

1. You will bump into them in the most unexpected way

Speaking of expectations for this dream of a summer fling, you're obviously going to meet this new guy/gal in the most random and perfect way, whether it's on the beach or saving you from an embarrassing fall on the sidewalk outside of your local Starbucks.

2. They will Have the perfect combination of looks, muscles, and charm

Once you meet this perfect stranger, they aren't going to seem bad either. They'll definitely have the sculpted figure, a tan from being out in the sun and a certain charm in the way they talk to you. Did I mention they also have this husky voice that's irresistible?

3. Even during your first meeting, you guys are going to flirt* (*successfully)

Not only does this potential new suitor have the looks and the charm, but it seems as though they are actually interested in talking to you and making sure to keep that conversation going. What's even better- you are just as invested and you're coming up with the best responses that have the same amount of wit as they do charm. The odds are really in your favor with this one.

4. Although you both part ways, you'll bump into them again somewhere else

After the flirtatious conversing and excessive eye-contact, you both had to sadly go your separate ways. The rest of the night you wonder if it actually happened and just accept that you will never see them again. Well get this- the universe has other plans! You wind up bumping into them the next day and they remember you and everything you guys talked about.

5. This second meeting will eventually lead to a first date invitation

So this second encounter turns into a hang out and more flirting ensues. You're too nervous to make the first move but they surprisingly ask you out first for a change, and of course you say yes.

6. They will pick you up on time, clean themselves up, and treat you like royalty

If this new boo hasn't already impressed you enough, they have now gone the extra mile of presenting themselves really well. They've obviously have spent time thinking about what to wear and how to style their hair so they could impress you. The cherry on top? They pick you up on time, open the car door for you all night, open doors for you, and much more proper etiquette stuff. It's safe to say you're internally swooning.

7. The date winds up being more than perfect and even ends with a kiss

The date is so enjoyable that when the end of the night comes around you never want it to stop. Right when they are about to take you home, a longing stare turns into hands-on-cheeks, the meeting of lips, and fireworks as big as the ones on July 4th.

8. More dates ensue and it's safe to say you guys are dating now

The first date went so perfect that it is only right that you two go on more. A trip to a nearby city, going to the beach, playing at the arcade, and all the other cute activities are to be had. With a little joking mention of whether you guys are dating, the other laughs back and wholeheartedly says yes.

9. They turn out to be the perfect bf/gf

All roads have now led up to the relationship actually beginning and it is already going smoother than all of your past relationships have. You guys make time to see each other every day and they always respond to your texts and calls. They even know how far the PDA should go and are just the right amount of protective over you. Ugh, how more amazing could this get?

10. The first "I love you" is hella romantic

Although you guys have been super connected since you first met, you both have been too scared to say those words to one another in fear of scaring the other one away (even though that could never happen). You both stare into each other's eyes, exchange those special words and kiss passionately afterward.

11. Your friends and family surprisingly adore them, and vice versa

Now that the words have been exchanged and this seems like a long-term thing, it is time to go through the real test- meeting each other's friends and family. Other than each of your parents' being hesitant about the relationship, everyone is surprisingly supportive because they see the way you two look at each other. Now you both can go out with all your friends!

12. They teach you something they love to do

One of the most romantic things a couple can do is to listen to your significant other ramble on and on about the things they love and support that thing, and if you can, even participate in it with them. This is exactly what happened with you and your bae, and it turned out to be a super fun time; they even love you more for it (if that was even possible).

13. You guys have "that one song" you both sing super loud to in the car together

If things couldn't get any cuter, you two have adopted a song that perfectly matches your relationship. No matter if one of you can actually sing or not, it is always hysterical when it comes on shuffle and you guys pretend to have your own concert. Adorable isn't even the word to explain it.

14. Before you both even realize it, summer is ending and you both have your first fight

It suddenly hits them that the summer is almost over, and they bring the heavy topic of the future up to you when you guys go on your daily outing. You never want this paradise to end so you just proceed to say that everything will work out and pretend that everything is fine when in reality they are being bothered by it a lot. Later on that day, you two have your first big fight that ends with you walking away angry and hurt that reality has swooped in to possibly take away the best relationship you've ever had.

15. Summer Ends, but You Both Make Up and Are Committed to Making This Work

It is the last week of summer and you both are ready to go back to your own realities. Before it all ends, however, you decide to suck up your pride and apologize to them because they have been nothing but amazing to you this whole summer. Once you're about to leave your house, however, you find them on your doorstep about to do the same. You both embrace one another, kiss passionately, have teary eyes and talk about where everything goes from here. You both decide to stay together and to see where life takes the relationship, because you both know you can do anything as long as you're together.

So as perfect as that fantasy seemed, you and I are unfortunately back to the harsh reality that it never happened in the first place. But don't worry too much, though, because our perfect match is out there somewhere and they're on their way; in the meantime, let's watch "The Last Song" with a pint of Ben & Jerry's and hope we get something as good as what Miley and Liam got.