15 Tips For Succeeding As A Young Professional

Being a savvy and successful young woman in today’s society isn’t such a pain if you can remember these 15 crucial tips.

18
foreveramber.co.uk

Until junior year of college, I had no idea what “business casual” meant. Nor did I understand the nuances of networking or the importance of having my own business cards (despite my not having an actual business). I’m here now to tell you now that – yes – these things are necessary and actually expected of you in the “real world.” Here are 10 tips I’ve picked up on as I endure the wild ride that is senior year of college.

1. Know the difference between casual, business casual, and business professional

I am ashamed of what I wore to job interviews before I understood the super important demarcation between these big three. I know now that interviews should almost always be treated as business professional or business casual occasions. “Business professional” entails mainly neutral tones, blazers, collared blouses, skirt and pant suits, high heels and fancy trousers. “Business casual” is like the peppy and colorful little sister of “business professional.” That means nice blouses, khaki pants or capris, flats, and sweaters. “Casual” accounts for everything else you wear on a normal day-to-day basis: t-shirts, jeans, leggings, workout wear, etc.

2. Network, network, network!

Many people know that networking is important, but few understand how to network effectively. Solid networking actually takes a great deal of work. In an ideal situation, you would need to form meaningful connections first (in person) with people. Then, you would need to add them to your online social circles. Finally – and most importantly – you would have to work hard at engaging each network connection genuinely and meaningfully both online and in person. Of course, this means acknowledging and responding to their interests – not just yours. This can be especially taxing when you have little time to spare for social interaction (and just really want someone to give you a job).

3. Obtain business cards

Imagine you are invited to a networking event along with with numerous important community leaders. Now, imagine yourself talking with these people. One asks you for your contact information so he/she can get to know you better (and maybe send you an interesting article related to your conversation). Now imagine manually writing down all of your email and social media information for that person. Wouldn’t it be so easy if you could just reach into your purse and grab one little piece of paper that conveniently has all of that stuff neatly on it already? Think about it.

4. Always take notes

Research suggests that you digest and remember information better if you physically write it out. All you have to do is bring a little notebook and pen with you to meetings. Plus, it makes you look twice as interested and engaged.

5. Become the “first responder”

In order to become a reliable correspondent, most leaders agree that you should reply to pressing emails and text messages within 24 hours (even if you are busy and your response is only a few words long). The early bird gets the worm; this same wisdom applies to responsiveness.

6. Know and accept yourself...weaknesses and all

I went on a weekend retreat for a leadership program I’m a part of and it was a life-changing experience. I loved everything about it, but the hands-down most useful and intriguing part of the experience was a seminar in which we received personality test results and analyzed them as a group. While some of my personal results were hard to swallow (the Hogan Development Assessment told me I was moody, vengeful, morbidly unsocial and "leisurely"), facing my weaknesses head-on was eye-opening and will likely help me adapt in future workplaces. I highly recommend this MBTI inventory, too.

7. Be hungry for experience

Internships, workshops, optional gatherings: attend all of them. Arrive armed with potential questions so that you not only come to better understand the event you attend, but also so that you have the opportunity to make a lasting impression.

8. Write thank-you letters

By that I mean buy a nice pack of thank-you cards, take out a thank-you card, find a pen, write a genuinely appreciative message on the inside and deliver it in person (or by mail) to the people who deserve thanks. If someone’s physical address is not accessible, emailed thank-you notes are fine, too (just not as memorable).

9. Keep up with current events

There’s nothing more embarrassing than trying to converse with a superior and not being able to understand or respond to a reference he or she makes. Know what’s going on around you (knowing basic world geography and common-knowledge statistics can’t hurt either).

10. Hone your body language

You’d be surprised how much unwavering eye contact, good posture and a smile can help with communication (and a positive outward image).

11. Maintain a positive attitude

This tip, of course, can apply in all areas of life. In a professional setting, there’s a fine line between feeling unappreciated and attacked after receiving criticism and viewing the criticism as helpful feedback for self-improvement. It might be difficult at first if you’re like me (naturally defensive and take what others say to heart), but being positive really is worth it for your well-being in the long run.

12. Get comfortable with being alone

The more confident you can be by yourself, the more independent and self-sufficient you will be in the workplace. Of course, exhibiting solid group communication skills is important, too. But the less you need to rely on the energy of others, the more you will be able to thrive as an individual.

13. Communicate well and often

If there is one thing I’ve learned as a Communication minor, it’s that being an efficient communicator is required in almost all aspects of life. Make sure you are communicating (texting, emailing, talking in person with) those who matter frequently.

14. Be careful about cultivating your virtual self

Social media is now a ubiquitous part of our daily lives. Employers have caught on to this and are able to get glimpses into potential employees’ personal lives like never before. In true participant observer style, these community leaders are interested in the virtual image you project when “no one’s looking.”

15. Be humble

Last but definitely not least: become humble and stay humble. If you find success, always thank those who helped push you up onto that pedestal. Eventually, when the time is right, give back so future generations of leaders can benefit from your success.