15 Thoughts You Have While Walking Across Campus

"Who's getting lit at this hour?"

82

Trudging from south campus may not be the best walk, but there are plenty of other things that make the walking at UNC-Chapel Hill totally worth it.

1. "I'm so tired right now."

Maybe, just maybe, I'll one day appreciate the 20 minute uphill treks from south campus to my chemistry class at 7:30 a.m. I highly doubt it, though.

2. "The weather is so nice today."

*Takes a deep breath* Ah, this crisp fall air is currently giving me life right now. I can't wait for October. Can anyone relate?

3. "I smell food, and it smells good."

The aroma is either coming from the dining hall or a group is advertising themselves with food. I need to investigate.

4. "I see free food, and it looks good."

I can afford to take a five-minute detour to check this out before my math class, right? Who am I kidding, of course! I'll do almost anything for free food.

5. "Why is there always random music blasting from the football stadium?"

Who's getting lit at this hour? At Carolina, this is a casual recurring phenomenon for anyone passing through south campus around midday. Yet, I always have to question the reason behind it whenever I hear the bass drop.

6. "I have about 20 million things I need to get done when I get back to my dorm. I have to finish my homework, practice my music, clean my room..."

I don't know about many other college students, but I end up thinking about what I need to write down on my to-do list while walking by myself across campus. I'll be crossing the street and I'll remember that I have to write an Odyssey article by tomorrow night!

7. "I want to find a quiet and comfortable reading spot sometime where I could get my homework done while appreciating ~nature~."

There are quite a few quiet, relaxing locations across Carolina that are perfect for naps, naps, oh and more naps. Now, all I must do is find them and claim them as my designated study aka nap place.

8. "I've never been in that building before, and I want to check it out one day."

Again, I have never stepped foot into most of the buildings around campus, which is a bummer. But I'll put it on my UNC bucket list to visit everyone before graduation.

9. "I wonder where everyone else is going right now."

I always end up looking across at the mass of people walking through the quad and thinking about where all of these students might be headed at a certain time of the day. That sounds like a great survey question, actually.

10. "The quad is low-key frightening at night."

Whatever campus you're on, don't walk alone after dark! Especially if there isn't much activity going around in a certain area, it's always safer to have a buddy with you than to have to keep turning around every few seconds because you fear someone is following you.

11. "That was probably the tenth obscure version of an electronic skateboard I've seen someone use."

I'm not too sure if this is just found at Chapel Hill, but I've seen students riding different types of scooters, skateboards, hoverboards, and probably some other 22nd-century technology at this point. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool, but how did they get in possession of such devices and is it convenient? I have so many unanswered questions.

12. "I wish I had a motorcycle or moped."

My legs would be ever so thankful if I could somehow get my hands on and ride an electronic vehicle around campus.

13. "I wonder how many of these people I will never actually get to know."

And I'm just talking about the class of 2021. Heck, I can't even tell who's a first-year just by physical appearances at this stage of my college experience. And it's disappointing because I'm sure there are a lot of interesting people that I will never get to personally know.

14. "What is that crowd of people doing there?"

Whether it's a crowd around the pit preacher, near the dining hall, or just near the construction, I'm always wondering what "exciting" event is happening now.

15. "I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to explore this beautiful campus."

I can't help but smile to myself sometimes. From the Bell Tower to McCorkle Place to the Old Well, UNC-Chapel Hill is a top-notch school with a breathtaking campus. I can't wait to spend the next four years here.