15 Things I Want to Tell My High School Self About College

High school seniors, get ready for your life to completely change.

65

1. Get involved

There are so many activities and clubs to get involved with in college. Find things you love and do them! You'll even meet some super cool people in the process.

2. Be patient

No matter how many things you get involved in, finding close friends takes time. God will give you those meaningful relationships, it may just take longer than you want.

3. Be thankful

Don’t take college or the people there for granted. Classes may be hard, but never forget how blessed you are to be getting a college education. And no matter how lonely you may feel sometimes, you are more loved than you know by those around you and at home.

4. Make healthy choices

The freshman 15 is real, friends. Make eating salads and going to the rec a part of your everyday life.

5. SLEEP

I cannot stress this enough. It is so tempting to stay up late every night talking to your roommate or friends down the hall, but don't neglect your body's needs.

6. You can’t do everything

Although you have more free time in college, that time will fill up quickly. Instead of giving a little bit of time to a lot of things, give a lot of time to few things. You will enjoy these few activities more and be much less stressed.

7. Make time for yourself

I am an extrovert and love being around people, but it’s also important to have alone time. Read a good book, write, or watch some TV. Most importantly, use alone time to be with God. Don’t neglect daily quiet time with God, because this is when he refreshes you, teaches you, and prepares you for the days ahead.

8. Put water in your Easy Mac

PSA: You have to take the cheese packet out of the bowl and add water before you put the mac n' cheese into the microwave. Please don’t be the freshman that sets off the fire alarm the first week of school.

9. Be the kind of roommate you'd want to have

Keep your side of the room clean, respect your roommate's schedule, and ask before you use their belongings. More importantly, be a listening ear, a constant encourager, and a shoulder to cry on. Do these things and you might get a life-long friend out of it.

10. Don’t procrastinate (too much)

You don’t have to study two weeks in advance for every test, but also don’t start studying an hour. Make good grades now, because classes will only get harder.

11. Grades aren’t everything

I was told this a lot in high school, but it is even more important to remember in college. You will fail tests and it’s not the end of the world. Grades and GPA seem like the most important thing in college, but these things do not define you.

12. Live in the moment

When you are with your friends enjoy it! Sometimes a good conversation or fun activity is more important than studying. You won't remember getting a B on a test, but you will remember the memories you made.

13. You don’t have to know everything

It’s ok not to know the answer to a test question, what classes you are supposed to take next semester, or what you want to do with the rest of your life; we are barely even adults! Don’t worry about the future; God has a plan.

14. Don’t compare college to high school

I am no longer living in a sheltered, Christian environment, and I’m never going to have the same friends or all Christian teachers and coaches. Instead, I have an amazing opportunity to share the love of Christ on campus, as well take classes I love and make friendships that will last a lifetime.

15. Call home

You might be having the time of your life at college, but there are people back home who miss you a lot. Let them know that you’re thinking about them by giving them a call or Face timing them; it will make their day.