15 Things To Do In Boston: Off The Beaten Path

Think you know Boston? Think again.

10910

Sure, we all know where to take first-timers when they come to visit Boston: The Freedom Trail, Fenway Park, Harvard Yard. Tourist-y Boston is great, but it's far from all the city has to offer. While most college students think they have a pretty good handle on the city's best spots, there may be a few you're missing out on. This list offers a look at some of Boston's lesser-known, unconventional activities and places that are definitely worth checking out. When you go to college in the best city in the world, you better take advantage of every last second.

1. Go to the Brattle Book Shop

This antiquarian book store is an absolute gem. Based in Boston since 1825, you never know what treasures you'll find in the dusty stacks. The shop is housed in a three-story building in downtown Boston, with an additional outdoor browsing section. From used books to rare first editions, there's something for everyone in this one-of-a-kind bibliophile's wonderland.

Flickr: comstock

Brattle Street Books is located at 9 West Street, Downtown Boston, MA 02111

2. Check out Bodega

Source: Racked

What? Why? That place looks nasty! That's the whole secret. Bodega is a high-end shoe, sportswear, and accessories retailer - but here's the catch - it's disguised as a run down convenience store. Inside the store is everything you'd expect to find in a bodega. The trick to getting into the real store, however, is an old Snapple machine. Trigger a tile in the floor in front of the machine, and it'll open like a door, revealing the passageway to a sleek, crisp-looking clothing store. Some of the most sought-after sneakers and street-wear are sold in this unassuming store.

Now that's more like it.

Bodega is "hidden" at 6 Clearway Street, Boston, MA 02115

3. Go to the John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse

This incredible waterfront courthouse is home to the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the District Court of Massachusetts, meaning it's been witness to some of the most high-profile and controversial cases in history. Most recently, James "Whitey" Bulger, infamous Boston gang leader, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston Bomber, were tried at this courthouse - and both trials were open to the public! So whether you're interested in learning more about or judicial system, figuring out if pre-law is right for you, or just trying to take in the amazing waterfront view, the JJM Courthouse is an awe-inspiring and educational trip in so many ways.

Flickr: Mesmin

John Joseph Moakley Courthouse is located at Courthouse Way, Suite 2300. Boston, Massachusetts

4. Go to Revere Beach

Take the Blue Line to the end, and you might find yourself wondering how far you really went. When you step out of the platform on the Wonderland T stop, salt air instantly fills your nose. You're definitely not in Boston anymore. Wonderland is the T Stop to Revere Beach, America's oldest public beach. Revere Beach is beautiful, historic, clean, and very accessible. Bring some friends and go swimming, catch some sun, or take part in the yearly sand-castle building competition. With soft white sand and a never-ending shoreline, it's hard to believe you're still in the Greater Boston Area.

Bonus: Revere Beach and the Wonderland T Stop are the filming locations of the 1998 rom-com "Next Stop Wonderland".

Source: lugaresdeturismo

5. Go watch some street performers at Faneuil Hall

Although Faneuil Hall is usually bursting at the seams with tourists, it can be worth it to watch some of the world-renowned street performers. Performers at Faneuil Hall actually have to audition, ensuring the quality of the performance. On any given day you can catch a glimpse of escape artists, jugglers, sword throwers, and comedians. Maybe even get chosen as an assistant and start your own street performing career! Hey, everyone needs a plan B for graduation.

Source: USAToday

6. Explore the Boston Harbor Islands

Not far from the street performer showcase is the ferry for the Boston Harbor Islands, a largely underrated area of the city. The Boston Harbor Islands are a collection of recreational areas accessible by ferry. There are 34 islands in total, with the main attractions hiking trails, camping grounds, public beaches, a Civil War-era fort known as Fort Warren on Georges Island, and a the oldest lighthouse in the United States, Boston Light, on Little Brewster Island.

Source: grassroots.com
Ferry departures and information are located at 15 State Street, Suite 1100 Boston, MA 02109

7. Catch a movie at the Coolidge Corner Theatre

The Coolidge Corner Theatre is an independent movie theatre that was built in 1933. This Art-Deco movie palace maintains it's 30's charm to this day, with early 20th century decor and screenings of classics and current films. This theatre transports its viewers back to the time of Hollywood's golden age, with red velvet seats and rich, buttery popcorn. Indie film fans flock to this location, where you can find little-known pictures and other events, such as singalongs and local film screenings. As if you needed another reason to go, they serve beer and wine to 21+. All the better to enjoy your movie with, my dear.

Source: Ziptivity
Coolidge Corner Theatre is located at 290 Harvard St, Brookline, MA 02446

8. Go to the zoo

The Franklin Park Zoo, in the Jamaica Plains neighborhood of Boston, is a popular destination for families, but let's be honest: you never outgrow a good zoo. This zoo has been around since 1912, and it has several notable exhibits, such as the Kalahari Kingdom, Serengeti Crossing, Outback Trail, Tropical Forest, and Bird's World. Take some friends, lose your shame, and relive your childhood - without leaving your college town.

He knows he's fabulous.
Source: nustudentlife

The Franklin Park Zoo is located at 1 Franklin Park Rd, Boston, MA 02121

9. Unwind in a rooftop pool

Take a literal lap in luxury in the rooftop pool at The Colonnade Boston Hotel. The pool opens during the summer, and for a fee you can relax in style - 11 floors up. Touted as one of the "sexiest rooftop pools", you can take in a yoga lesson in the mornings or grab a cocktail in the afternoon. And the views of the Back Bay aren't too shabby either.

Source: colonnadehotel
The rooftop pool at The Colonnade Hotel is located at 120 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02116

10. Escape the Room

The popularity of Escape Rooms has steadily been rising across the nation after taking NYC by a storm, and now you can take part right here in Boston. Escape rooms have a simple premise: you get locked in a room, with a theme of some sort, such as 'Detective Office', and have to find clues and objects to escape the room within 60 minutes. It's much easier said than done, but a lot of fun to try. Only 20% of players have been able to escape the room within the allotted hour. Can you beat that time?

Source: entertainmentdesigner
Escape the Room Boston is located at 33 West St, Boston, MA 02111

11. Play Bocce in the North End

A little known fact, Langone Park, in the North End of Boston, has three regulation Bocce courts. Bocce is a popular Italian bowling game, and the North End is as good a place as any to watch some of the best Bocce players show you how it's done. Bring some friends and play a round after watching a few, or venture over to Modern (the best North End bakery) and grab a cannoli or cookie.

Source: bostoniano
Langone Park is located on Commercial Street, Boston, MA 02109

12. Visit the Mapparium

They say the journey of 100 miles starts with a single step. Well, at the Mapparium, the journey of 1000 years can be taken with a single step. The Mapparium, housed in the Mary Eddy Baker Library, is a three-story tall stained glass globe that you can view via a 30 foot bridge that cuts through the interior. The beautiful replica is accompanied by a presentation that details the way ideas and culture have traversed the globe.

Source: collegetimes
The Mapparium is located at 200 Massachusetts Ave, Boston, MA 02115

13. Get some produce at Haymarket

Haymarket is more than a T stop. On the weekends, this neighborhood is transformed into Boston's largest open-air produce market. Not only has this market been congregating since 1830, but it offers the best produce bargains in Boston, bar-none. 2 for $3 strawberries? Yes please. Get yo' haggle on.

Source: wit.edu
You can find the Haymarket open air produce market right outside green-line Haymarket Station

14. Go kayaking on the Charles River

Boston offers an incredible amount of outdoor activities, but kayaking on the Charles has to top the list. There are a variety of rental services along the esplanade, where you can rent or buy for pretty reasonable prices. There is no better way to see the city than by a self-paced row along Boston's main waterfront. If Kayaking isn't for you, try a canoe or a paddle board, or hop on a riverboat cruise. Boston by river is too beautiful to miss.

Source: bostonmagazine
Find kayaks for rent at 1071 Soldiers Field Rd Boston, MA

15. Take a class at a college that isn't yours

Ok, hear me out on this one. Considering the incredible amount of grey matter in Boston, confining yourself to just one of the schools in this great city seems ridiculous! It doesn't take a private investigator to find out when classes meet at another school. Pick your subject, maybe find a friend who goes to that school, make sure it's a big lecture so you're not noticed, and go for it! An MIT education for zero the cost? Yes please. I suggest this at your own risk, as it is not technically condoned. But sitting in on a lecture every now and then? No harm done. What's college for, after all?

Similar matrices and Jordan Form at MIT

Source: academicearth