15 Struggles Every Server Has Experienced

Pen thieves. Pen thieves everywhere.

28
Courtesy of on-select.com

Being a server isn't an easy job. It's got its ups and it's definitely got its downs. Here are 15 struggles you've probably experienced if you're a server:

1. Getting Slammed.

You don't know if it's because the hostesses hate you or if it's because the entire tri-state area just walked into your restaurant, but you just went from having one table to having eight in approximately three minutes. And its got you feeling some kind of stressed. As you rush from table to table, you want nothing more than to clone yourself. Or to cry. You can't decide.

2. People Interrupting your Introduction.

"Hi! My name is Heather, welcome to-"

"Do we get bread?"

*silently contemplates assaulting customer*

3. Every Single Kind Of Bodily Pain Imaginable.

Your back hurts, your head hurts, and they may have to amputate your feet because you can't feel them. Oh, and you haven't had a water break in four hours. You feel like a very old, very beaten down camel.

4. Laughing at "the Joke".

This is "The Joke". All servers hear it at least twice every shift:

Server: *while clearing table* "So how was everything?"

Middle - Aged Man (usually a dad): *looks at empty plate* Oh horrible- I hated it! *laughs hysterically*

Server: *winces, forces a fake laugh, and dies a little bit more inside*

5. One Word: ROLLUPS.

You know how they say idle hands make the devil's work? They're actually wrong, because the devil's work is making about seventy-five silverware rollups a night, which keeps my hands FAR from idle.

6. Answering Unnecessary Questions.

Customer: "ummmm, what's in the salad?"

Server: *smiles and lists every ingredient that is displayed on the menu in front of said customer, all the while reminding herself that she needs this job to pay for her rent*

7. Dealing With A Table When The Kitchen Messes Up.

So table 43 ordered a side of french fries for their kid, and it never came out. And the mom is PISSED. You frantically check the computer to make sure you put it in, and head back to the kitchen, ticket in hand, to ask what happened. You're met with a "my bad," handed some french fries, and shuffled back out to deal with 43 and the angry mom. And while she says it's all okay as you smile, apologize, and explain what happened, you just know that hope of a good tip is long gone.

8. Getting Seated 10 Minutes Before Close.

I consider tables that walk in at 10:50 when we close at 11 as an attack on my personal well-being. I don't know why these random people want to hurt me, but they obviously do.

9. Getting asked, "so, what's your real job?"

You better count your lucky stars that I'm a college student and have the patience to answer that ignorant question. But let's just say that being a server was my career - do you have any idea how offensive you're being by insinuating that my work doesn't qualify as a "real job"? I show up every day and get paid, and I'm pretty sure that's what a real job is.

10. Paying For Everything in 1s and 5s.

I will never adjust to the look of horror I get when paying for my $28 dollar dry cleaning bill in singles. Ever.

11. Verbal Tippers.

I'm sorry, did I miss something between all the compliments you gave me? Did I offend you sometime between when you called me "the best waitress ever" and "someone you wish would date your son?" No? Then, why on God's green earth would you leave me a 12% tip? I MUST KNOW.

12. Pen Thieves. Pen Thieves Everywhere.

On a good day, I walk into work with three pens (which is barely cutting it). If you decide that you MUST have my pen for the rest of your life, you leave me with only two pens. I need one at all times to take orders, and it is very possible that two of my eleven tables will need to sign checks at the same time. I know that might be a lot of math, but there's a very simple bottom line: DO NOT TAKE MY FREAKIN' PENS.

13. When People Think You Make The Drinks.

When a table orders an alcoholic drink, nudges me, and asks me to "pour generously," a little piece of me dies inside. I'm sorry, sir, but between running around pouring water, taking orders, and getting your wife extra ranch for her low-fat salad, when on earth would you like me to slip behind the bar to personally make your drink? That's what bartenders are for, and I have no say over how generously they pour. #sorrynotsorry

14. Restless Server Syndrome.

Every server has been there: you get home after a long shift, literally crawl into bed, and attempt to get the good night's sleep that you deserve. But alas, you can't sleep because your mind is still racing from the literal sh*t show that was your shift. As you try to sleep, you panic, thinking you never brought ketchup to table seven, even though you know that you did. RSS is perhaps the single worst part of being a server, other than the fugly shoes.

15. Disrespect From Customers.

On a serious note, your server is a person with goals, dreams, and feelings- just like you. And if you refuse to make eye contact, smile, or use an indignant tone when speaking with your server, you send the message that you believe that they are less than you. Your server works hard to ensure that you feel respected, welcome, and have a positive experience- you should try to treat them with respect as well.

*Disclaimer: If you are my manager, and you are reading this, I love working for you. You run a fine, fine, establishment Sir (please don't fire me).

all gifs courtesy of giphy.com

From Your Site Articles