11 Signs You Are From Virginia Beach

11 Signs You Are From Virginia Beach

When you say "that's weak," you are talking about something being funny.

736
11 Signs You Are From Virginia Beach
Karen Simonic

Being a kid from Virginia Beach often is labeled as being a different breed of human while we are all away in college. It's either something you say or do that makes you stand out just a little bit from your friends at school. Being a beach kid that has moved to the mountains for school, I often get told that there are some definitive things that I do that makes me stand out as "from the beach". Here is a list of things that I do, that other college students from the beach, most likely can relate to if they call the beach home.

1. When you say "that's weak", you are talking about something being funny – most of your classmates from other parts of Virginia may look at you funny as soon as you say "that's weak" but that one other VB kid looks at you and is right there with you.

2. You wear rainbows all year around – even if there is snow on the ground; you did it at home, you will do it in the mountains.

3. You know the difference between Virginia Beach and the rest of Hampton Roads – and often find yourself telling fellow classmates from NOVA who think Norfolk is Virginia Beach, that they are in fact wrong.

4. You know the feeling of driving down Shore Drive on a summer night blasting your favorite song – and its something you miss when it starts getting cold wherever you are.

5. You enjoy looking at your pictures from your adventures in seashore and want to go home just to go to take pictures at First Landing.

6. You find yourself trying to determine which coffee shop is "more hipster" Three Ships Coffee or Roast Rider – and which one you should visit at home on break.

7. You most likely own a Hotline, Costal Edge, WRV, or 17th Street Surf Shop T-Shirt – and if you still own a Hotline shirt, it's a prized possession.

8. You always want to go to Taste to grab a sandwich – when midterms roll around all you want is to be able to have dune delivery again.

9. You prefer hanging out at 48th Street at North End to hanging out anywhere on the resort – while you are studying for all your tests you might even consider going towards the resort area just to be back at the beach.

10. You have dressed up and gone out to eat at Town Center and taking pictures before and/or after, because you feel fancy – and even if you do this in your college town there is nothing like P.F. Changs with all your hometown best friends.

11. You don't realize how big of a deal the East Coast Surf Championships are until Evan Geiselman shows up – even then the majority of us has to look up who Evan Geiselman is; even now is college you don't understand why in middle school you wanted to go to ECSC so badly when you honestly didn't have any idea what was going on.

These are 11 things, that if you are from the beach you can totally relate to, too. I may not hit every single thing that makes a beach kid, a beach kid, but these are some staples in the beach culture that you acquire growing up next to King Neptune that don't fade away when you move away for college.