15 Reasons Why I Am Thankful For My Little Sister

Even though sometimes you can get on my nerves.

1760
Sam Hering

Little sisters can be your best friend one moment and then become your biggest nightmare the next; but in reality, we would not be able to live without them. Here are 15 reasons why I am thankful for my little sister.

1. What's mine is yours and what's yours is mine.

Ever have those days where you just cannot find something to wear in your closet? Well, it can come in handy when there just happens to be someone just down the hall that is pretty much my size.

2. You're not afraid to put me in my place.

I know sometimes I have my bad days, and you are not afraid to tell me what's up. If I have an attitude that you do not want to deal with, you do not hold back when it comes to telling me I am being a major pain.

3. You're my day-to-day therapist.

There are times when I do not feel like talking to my friends or mom about my problems, and you are always there to listen. Even if I am complaining about the same drama over and over again or just talking about my day, your shoulder is always there for me to cry on and your ears are always open.

4. You're who I can give advice to, even if you don't always take it.

I may be only a few years older but that does mean I have been through more than you have at this point. I know it can be annoying to listen to your older sister try and tell you how to go about something, but it means a lot to me to give you my words of wisdom. After all, who else is going to tell you how to deal with that certain teacher in school or help you with your algebra homework?

5. The faith you have in me helps me get by.

You never doubt me in anything that I do. I know that at times you may think that what I am doing may not be in my best interest, but you stick by my side and do not bring me down. It is nice to always have someone there cheering you on as you conquer your goals and biggest fears.

6. You deal with me during my "mom" moments.

I care about you more than you will ever know. It may seem annoying when I ask you what time you are going to be home or who you are going to be hanging out with, but it is only because I want you to be doing what is in your best interest. You are preparing me for what it will be like to have a daughter; I need to make sure you are safe.

7. You were my first friend.

From day one you have been my sidekick. When we were younger we were inseparable; from wearing matching outfits to playing on the swing set - we were always together. Even today it is weird to me when we are apart for too long.

8. My friends think of you as their own younger sister.

All of my friends love you; I swear sometimes they love you more than me! There has not been one friend who has not loved you - ven the friends that have not always stuck around. You make a good impression and are a hard person to forget.

9. Distance does not matter to us.

During my first year away at college, we would go days without talking and I could FaceTime you as if everything was normal. Not talking does not make our relationship fade, especially since we can pick up right where we left off whenever we see each other.

10. You make me want to be a better person.

I know our age gap is not much, but I want to be a better person for not just me, but for you too. Even if you will not admit it, you look up to me and that motivates me to be the best role model I can be.

11. You keep me in the loop with your life, even if sometimes you do not want to.

I know venting to your older sister may seem like the lame thing to do, but I do not think you understand how much it means to me when you tell me what's going on. It means a lot to me to know what is going on in your everyday life, especially since we are in two different worlds.

12. You have let me become close with your best friend.

It may seem weird to others, but it is totally normal for me to send your best friend a random text or ask her for advice just like she is another younger sister. Thank you for allowing me to be in her life.

13. You're my Netflix partner, and that will never change.

Sometimes there are those nights where I want to binge watch a TV series or watch a drama movie and you are right there by my side watching it with me. It is better to watch something with someone else instead of laughing or crying by myself.

14. You deal with my music in the car.

Even though we are a lot alike, our taste in music varies from one end of the spectrum to the other. Thank you for dealing with me when I jam out and scream country music for all of the other cars to hear.

15. Lastly, you are my best friend.

I know we have our moments, and that will never change; that is just part of being sisters. But, throughout the years of transitioning from nerdy girls to teenagers to now young women, you have always stayed my best friend. I cannot imagine my life without you; you are my mini me. I will always be here to love and protect you. No matter what happens in our lifetime, no one can take away the special bond that we have of being sisters.