15 Reasons You Should Be Watching 'Game of Thrones'

The Lannisters send their regards

92
Gawker-Media

Writing this article in hopes that I can convince other people to join me in my pain and heartbreak from this show. Here are 15 reasons to start watching the biggest show on TV right now! WARNING: slight spoilers, but no death spoilers or major plot spoilers.

1. Amazing acting

If you look for quality acting in a show (which why would you watch a show with bad acting, but I digress), then look no further than "Game of Thrones." Peter Dinklage alone is a reason enough to be watching this show. His performance as Tyrion Lannister earned him two Emmys and a Golden Globe with many more nominations.

If you watch the show, then you will know that these actors are 1) extremely hardworking, and 2) dedicated. You could not pay me enough to do what Kit Harington did as Jon Snow which was to film scenes in like arctic terrain for what seemed like forever to me watching on the screen so I’m sure it seemed even longer to him having to actually do it.

2. Beautiful costumes

The costumes on "Game of Thrones"' are no joke. I would give anything to wear some of the dresses that Natalie Dormer gets to wear as Margaery Tyrell. I know most of the actors aren’t fond of their costumes due to the fact that the reason that some of them look so disgusting is because they haven’t been washed or changed at all since season one. That’s a ridiculously long time to have never washed a costume. Can you imagine how gross it probably is in person? But again, this shows the dedication of the actors and the costume department.

3. Strong female characters

People tend to get caught up and say that Emilia Clarke’s Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi plus 900 other titles is the only strong female character, but that’s just not true.

Each female character on this show has proven to be strong in her own way. Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey), Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie, and even Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) have shown immense strength. And yeah, you probably shouldn't look to "Game of Thrones" to find female role models, but what can you do?

4. The recurring theme of family

I would say that as weird as it sounds "Game of Thrones" is all about family. The whole plot is this family versus family versus this branch of the same family. But not only that, the whole plot is mostly people fighting for their families/houses, their homes, and their livelihood. And I’ve got to agree with "Game of Thrones"because family is pretty important whether your family is your blood or not.

5. Excellent theme song

It will be stuck in your all the time and even though there are no lyrics, you will still manage to sing along every episode.

6. House Stark

By the end of the first episode, you will be totally on their side and you will most likely remain there. I’m still holding out that all of the late members of House Stark will magically come back to life because this is "Game of Thrones" and weirder things have happened (i.e. a priestess giving birth to a demon smoke baby thing?).

7. Dragons

Why would you not watch a show with dragons? Fair warning: the dragons make rare appearances, but still this is a valid reason. And if you disagree with me then feel free to take the black.

8. It is one of the most pirated TV shows

So obviously, you need to see what all the fuss is about and why people are literally breaking the law to watch this phenomenal show.

9. Despite the graphic violence and disgusting death scenes, it can be funny sometimes

For example, every interaction Tyrion has with any other character especially Ser Bronn.

10. No one is safe

They will kill off anyone. They don’t care if you’ll be distraught about it for months (years for me; RIP to my favorite character who I won’t name because spoilers). This show is great because they do what other shows won’t and they will kill off whoever they want basically.

11. Weird AF magic

Like I said earlier, a woman gave birth to a demon/cloud of smoke baby or something along the lines of that. I’m not familiar with the technical term because quite frankly giving birth to a demon smoke baby is not something I’ve had a lot of experience with personally. People come back to life and there’s a lot of trippy, weird magic on here. Also these people definitely were Slytherins when they were students at Hogwarts.

12. Richard Madden and Kit Harington

If you think this show only has beautiful women (who are like always naked by the way), then you’re wrong and if you don’t find these two attractive then you are also wrong and you don't deserve to watch "Game of Thrones."

13. House words

You might learn something from all of the houses and their official words and unofficial mottos. For example, whenever my parents try to get me to leave the house and do things, I like to borrow one of the unofficial mottos of House Stark, “There must always be a Stark in Winterfell.” And then they are very confused as usual.

14. Direwolves

Giant puppies!!! What more could you possibly want in a TV show? Dragons, puppies, really hot people, violence? I’m sold.

15. You can have your heart ripped into a million pieces for the small price of an HBO subscription.

When you become emotionally invested in all of these characters and then they are brutally murdered in classic "Game of Thrones: fashion by some variation of or combination of mutilation, being skinned alive, stabbed in the back/heart/etc, burned alive, beheaded, shot with an arrow, hanged, etc. When this happens, 1) you will cry/scream bloody murder (if you’re like me), and 2) keep a list of people you want dead like Arya Stark and then when they die you’ll get to be happy with this show for once in your life.

Most important advice upon starting this show: try your hardest not to get attached. When you inevitably do, have back up favorites. But then when all of your favorites die, you can join me on Team White Walker because only like four characters to go and I won’t care about this show anymore.