15 Reasons Why Traveling Is Necessary In Your College Years

Travel the world with friends and make memories at the same time? Sign me up!
577

Many students in their college years spend their time in class, doing homework, partying, and being hungover. Let’s face it, not many students think about spending their precious alcohol money on planning a big trip. Many simply can’t afford it.

However, many of us don’t realize that the years we spend in college are the best years to travel as much as we can. Sometimes saving up the precious money we do have can be worth it in the end. Here are some reasons traveling should be necessary in our college years.

1. We have the time.

As life goes on, we won’t have the time to actually go away and travel. With jobs, kids, families in the way, our college years are the best time to travel.

2. You can finally take that road trip you've been wanting to take since you were little.

Remember when you were little and you used to dream of running away with friends? Well, this is the time to do so. During breaks, you can easily organize and have friends travel with you.

3. Traveling can give you a different perspective in life.

If you’re facing problems, or just want a change of scenery, traveling can enable you to think outside of the box. When you go back home, you’ll come back a different person than when you started with.

4. You can meet amazing new people.

Life always presents us with new people throughout our journey. You might meet a new best friend or just people that you’ll meet just the once, but you will cherish the memories.

5. You’ll make unforgettable memories.

6. You can get some awesome souvenirs!

All college students love their t-shirts, so why not get them from the places that you’ve traveled? Collect sand from a beach or even buy the tacky things from a tourist shop. In the end, you’ll always have them.

7. It isn’t that hard to save up!

As hard as it is to believe, at this time you don’t have as many responsibilities as you might think. You don’t have kids and you don’t have to support an entire family. You can easily save up money each week to take your trip. There are also many places that give discounts just for students.

8. You can find out more about yourself.

Traveling can open your eyes to find out more about yourself. You find out how it is to be alone in a new and strange place and how you adapt.

9. You can take a solo trip that you probably can’t take at any other time.

10. Or you can take a trip with a significant other.

Want to spend some alone time in a new place with a boyfriend or a girlfriend? Well, you can take advantage of that now that you both have the time. You don’t even have to go far away or stay away for a long time. It can be a weekend trip where you will both enjoy each other and the journey.

11. You’ll have amazing stories to tell your kids, friends, grandkids, dog, etc.

Because everyone loves a good story!

12. Study abroad trips are an effective way of discovering the world and learning at the same time!

Many students don’t take advantage of the study abroad programs that their schools offer. Many programs go to Europe, Asia, and even Africa. Some programs are expensive in cost. However, most schools offer financial aid for students that are interested in going.

13. You can learn more about current issues.

Many of us believe that we’re in a bubble and that the world revolves around us. In reality, it isn’t true. There’s so many issues out there that we haven’t even heard of. Traveling helps us experience and learn from different places and cultures. We become more knowledgeable of the world by exploring it.

14. You’ll gain more independence.

Being alone in a new place brings out the leader in yourself. Instead of relying on others to help you throughout the journey, you’ll be making your own trip. You'll be in charge of what you do. At this point in our lives, many of us don’t know where we are heading or where we’ll end up. Traveling can polish our leadership skills and perhaps improve the way we live our lives.

15. In the end, you’ll feel like a complete person.

Nothing beats the feeling of being an improved individual. Traveling is essential for the college experience. The more exposure we have to different places and different experiences will shape who we become when we grow older.

It’s a lot to think about, but while we’re young and able, why not take the journey and make awesome memories while we’re at it? So go on that trip, explore that new place, and have fun while you're young.