The 15 Greatest Disney Movies Of All Time, Ranked

Oldies and newbies alike, Disney's got their craft down.

1586
Disney

If you're as big a fan of Disney movies as I am, you know the struggle it is to try to rank them from your favorite to least favorite.

The fact is, most Disney movies are just amazing and impossible to compare to others. However, I've given this a lot of thought and consideration and at least for me personally, this list is fairly accurate when it comes to the best of Disney.

For those of you who aren’t huge Disney movie fans, check these ones out and I can almost guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

1. Hercules

This is the most underrated Disney movie of all time. Hercules, obviously based on the Greek mythological story, is a classic and one of the only early Disney films to portray the strength of women as well as men. With AMAZING and catchy songs (this is Disney we're talking about, okay?), a great storyline, and one of the best love stories in Disney movie history, Hercules ranks first on the list.

2. Tangled

SUPER close second. Tangled, based on the story of Rapunzel, does a fantastic job of spinning a kind of boring fairy tale into an action-filled movie with character development, great songs, and ALL THE FEELS. Plus, let's be honest, what girl doesn't have a Disney character crush on Flynn? *insert smolder here*

3. Moana

Call me biased by how recently it came out, but Moana has quickly moved up ranks into my top 3 favorite Disney movies ever. This incredible movie is filled with history, amazing art, funny characters, and some of the most redemptive qualities of any Disney movie. It doesn't have any "villain" who remains evil, as many of their movies do, but rather explains the backstories of these characters and redeems them in the end. Also, I'm going to say this a lot, but the soundtrack is phenomenal. Props to you, Lin Manuel Miranda.

4. The Emperor’s New Groove

This is a movie that's often forgotten about when considering Disney classics, but it's one of the best out there. The Emperor’s New Groove is hilarious, suspenseful, and contains a great lesson about what selfishness can do to a person. Simply put, it's groovy... haha see what I did there?

5. Mary Poppins

Julie Andrews is an absolute gem in film-making and this movie is no exception. Mary Poppins is a wonderful classic that emphasizes the importance of family. It just brings up so many warm feelings of nostalgia and happiness, and it stars Dick Van Dyke, so... I don't know why you're still reading this and not watching it.

6. Frozen

This movie broke revenue records for a reason. Frozen is one of the cutest Disney movies out there, featuring the BEST soundtrack ever, an all-star cast, and an amazing story that actually doesn't end with a princess getting married. WHAT?! *Side note: I am Olaf*

7. Treasure Planet

Ah, Treasure Planet. The Disney movie everyone forgets about that's really one of the greatest. Treasure Planet is a refreshingly different type of story with real-life problems for kids and teens, like dealing with abandonment, making the right decisions, and choosing to have faith even in dark situations. It's a yes from me.

8. A Goofy Movie

I feel like no one watches this because it's based on a character originally meant for a very young audience. However, A Goofy Movie is such a funny, relatable movie more steered towards teenagers than small children. Based on a kid in high school who’s having trouble telling a girl (and his dad) how he feels, this movie manages to be hilarious while also teaching a lesson about the truth.

9. Ratatouille

Maybe I just love this movie so much because it involves food, but Ratatouille is one of the greatest Disney movies out there. Featuring the cutest rat ever with incomparable culinary skills trying to make it big in Paris, Ratatouille contains well-thought-out characters, a good plot development, and a lesson on telling the truth, as well as balancing two passions. Also, I’m hungry now.

10. Aladdin

If this were based on purely songs, Aladdin would be further up in the list because their soundtrack introduces literally a whole new world. Aladdin is a (heads up, somewhat scary for small children) overall fantastic movie about not judging based on appearance. I'm still not sure how Jasmine manages to keep Raja as a pet without him eating her, but that's none of my business.

11. Monster’s Inc

Let's be honest, who doesn't love Monster's Inc? This one is such an adorably funny movie, featuring the least scary monsters ever. Not only is it hilarious enough for both children and adults, it's got a great storyline and features a moral lesson on overcoming fear. Plus, it has Boo and she's just the cutest small child ever invented by Disney, so be prepared to release the waterworks.

12. Lion King 1 1/2

This one is listed purely for its comedic value. You get to follow along with the path of your two favorite characters from the first one (Timone and Pumba), who keep the whole story light and will keep you laughing the entire time. If you're ever feeling sad, take an afternoon off to watch this and I guarantee, it’ll make you feel better.

13. High School Musical

Oh, what a classic. I had to include HSM in this, just because it’s HSM and I feel like we should all take a minute to appreciate all the great things this movie has given us. The songs, the weird but awesome dancing, the love story of Troy and Gabriella, the quirks of side characters like Zeke's baking that give the movie life... HSM needs no talking up.

14. Beauty and the Beast

*The old one, not this new imposter! You can't fool me, Hermoine.* Beauty and the Beast is such a beautiful movie in every way. The way Belle’s character develops so she grows more humble and kind towards others, as well as how the Beast is transformed both mentally and physically is just amazing to watch. Also, the soundtrack is an oldie, but definitely a goodie.

15. Meet the Robinsons

Meet the Robinsons is a great choice for Disney movie night, because it's incredibly clever, it's funny, and it has such a cool futuristic vibe for the creative people in the room. Meet the Robinsons follows the life of a young inventor, whose mother left him at an orphanage, and his future family. It tells his story in a kind of sad way, but promises a happy ending and definitely a good movie night.