15 Must-See Films, According to Film Students

Are these masterpieces in your collection?

80
Forbes

Columbia College Chicago. A college who’s most popular programs are Cinematography and Film/Video production. An art school that is dominated by the movie freaks. This isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it’s pretty cool. With a little over 9,000 students attending, you can only imagine how many are them are directors and screenwriters in the making. When learning and training to be successful in your field, you have to look to great works and talents of the past to draw inspiration from them. As a Fiction major, for me, this may be Emily Bronte, Ernest Hemingway or Edgar Allen Poe. For Fine Arts majors, this may be Van Gogh, Monet, or Degas. This is the same with film. I’ve realized as of recent that I continuously watch the same movies over and over because they are my favorites. I never branch out and watch anything new because I’m afraid I won’t like it and it will just be a waste of two hours. When I realized this, I felt a need to change. I wanted to expand my film knowledge, but I had no clue where to start. I just knew I needed suggestions, people I could trust to recommend good quality movies. Who better to trust than film students? I decided to ask those savvy movie-goers what they consider to be a must-see film, a film they would recommend to anyone and everyone. Here’s the list of movies I got from the students(and may I say, all of them are of high merit. These film students sure do know their stuff) and why they would recommend it.

1. An Extremely Goofy Movie

"This movie was filled with jokes that made me laugh, man. It just depicts the college experience so accurately. Much better than the first movie, if I do say so myself"

- Todd Perry

2. Space Jam

"As a film student who wants to work in the animation business, I have to say Space Jam. It has some of the best 2D and 3D animation blending I've ever seen. Definitely before it's time. None of these movies like Frozen can even compare."

- Iris Page

3. Bee Movie

"Not only does Bee Movie depict one of the greatest love stories of all time, but it's the closest thing to Seinfeld I can show my kids someday... god, I love Seinfeld."

- Tiana Reed

4. Paul Blart: Mall Cop

"This film managed to keep me on the edge of my seat with all of the action whilst making me laugh until I cry. Kevin James truly is the next Chris Farley... you can't go wrong with a good fat joke."

- Summer Henson

5. Shrek

"You can't go wrong with a hilarious, poop joke filled fairytaile. Screw Bee Movie, this is the best romance of all time. I want someone to love me like Shrek loves Fiona."

- Karla Bruce

6. From Justin To Kelly

"From Justin To Kelly is basically a remake of Grease starring the top two contestants from American Idol season one... can it get any better than that? Thank you, Simon Cowell!"

- Fiona Torres

7. Disaster Movie

"This has to be the most well made parody film made in the last decade and I thought it couldn't get any better after the Scary Movie series. It displays a wide array of new and talented actors that I believe will go far in comedy someday."

- Bailey Neal

8. Jack and Jill

"Eddie Murphy has proved time and time again playing multiple characters in one movie makes for fantastic comedy and this is no different in Jack and Jill. I was laughing so hard my stomach was hurting. This has to be the best movie Adam Sandler has done in his whole career. Screw those people who said he peaked in his 30's."

- Briana Hunter

9. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

"I think Johnny Depp did a beautiful interpretation of Willy Wonka and I found myself getting the creeps a couple of times, which is awesome because it proves adults can enjoy it too... even though it was advertised for children."

- Ryan Snyder

10. Spiderman 3

"This was the best movie out of the series with Tobey MaGuire (the best Spiderman as well). I just think the plot was really intricate and well thought out and the intense dramatic scenes were balanced out with fun scenes like the dancing montage. I loved that scene."

- Quinn Turner

11. Son of the Mask

"Let's face it. Sequels usually get a bad rep from critics but you know what never fails to be a hit? Sequels that continue the character legacy. Seed of Chucky. Doctor Dolittle 3. All amazing films. This was no different. It was intelligent and funny... it did not disappoint."

- Alisha Reeve

12. The Cat In The Hat

"Mike Myers is an absolute genius and he definitely showcases it in this film. It was a fun loving children's movie jam packed with adult jokes and I loved it. Dr. Seuss was probably applauding from his grave when this was released."

- Darius Short

13. Grease 2

"When I first saw Grease, I fell in love with everything about it and wanted to know what happened to Danny and Sandy after they got together. Grease 2 abandoned Danny and Sandy, but gave us fresh characters with an even more entertaining story. The music and the chemistry was ten times better than the first movie. Grease 2 is a prime example of a perfect sequel."

- Eli Sutton

14. Sharknado

"After classics like Jaws and Piranha, I was searching for the movie to top all ocean predator movies. Sharknado was that movie. Do I even need to explain why you must see it? Sharks... tornados... together. Cinematic creativity at it's finest."

- Renee Mosely

15. Bring It On Again

"Some of the best hidden gems don't even get to hit theaters much like this movie. Though the Bring It On series seems immature, they all communicate great messages and demonstrate amazing choreography. People like to debate which movie was the best but it's obviously the second one. Screw Kirtsen Dunst and Eliza Dushku. This cast was way better."

- Elliot Olson