15 Things I Regret NOT Doing In High School

15 Things I Wish I Did In High School, Looking Back From College

It's been three years and I still have a few regrets.

87

Even though I've been out of high school for almost three years, there are still things that I wish I had done during my time there. It's kind of silly to reminisce about something that I haven't thought about in months, but there's a little voice in the back of my head that wishes I did a few things differently.

While I am beyond happy in college, there are a few things that I can't do here that I should have done in high school.

1. Told my crush I liked him

In high school, I really focused on my studies and friends. I wasn't one that dated or really even talked to boys. Which is why I had a crush on the same guy for nearly a decade and he started dating someone else before I had the chance to tell him. I had planned on telling him at prom, because why not, but he turned out to be kind of a jerk before I had the chance. So, in a way, it worked out for me.

2. Played a sport

I was really into playing basketball. I played it for like six years. But I quit right before high school because I didn't want that kind of pressure and my friends quit too. But part of me has always wondered what could have happened if I stuck with it for four more years.

3. Joined more clubs

I was in yearbook for two years, National Honor Society for two years, Stagecrafters for two-and-a-half, and I wish I did more. While these three groups kept me busy, I think I would have enjoyed high school more if I had participated in more clubs.

4. Cut people out of my life sooner

It's hard to notice toxic people in your life when you're close friends with them. You accept their flaws and move on, but some of those flaws can't be changed. That's how they're wired. Since graduation, I have two best friends stick with me from over thirty people in our group. I knew I was going to lose some friends, but I didn't realize just how many I would lose. I think it would have hurt less if I just cut them out of my life sooner. But I always say, quality over quantity.

5. Started taking college classes sooner

College Credit Plus was a new program for my high school. I started taking college-level courses during my senior year. I only wish I took more advantage of this program and gotten more credits out of the way before I got to my university. I am thankful I got a little over 20 completed, but it would have been awesome to have more.

6. Asked my teachers for help on assignments

I was the kind of person that refused to ask teachers for help. If I was struggling in math or science, I would try to figure it out myself and do anything but ask the teacher for help. I was under the impression that my teachers would laugh at my stupidity and I always felt dumb asking for help. So, instead, I struggled and so did my grades. If I had just pushed myself to get help, I would have felt better about myself and my grades.

7. Branched out and talked to more people

I wasn't popular per se in school, but I knew everybody's names, and everyone knew me. Just another perk of having a graduating class of 139. But I knew people that were friends were everyone. I wish I was one of those people. I wish I talked to more people and just made them my acquaintances and not just my peers.

8. Had a better job

I think most high schoolers can relate to hating their high school job, especially when you can only work so few hours. I only worked eight hours a week during the school year, and over 30 in the summer. I think if I started my work life in a place I actually enjoyed, I think that would have made working just a little more bearable.

9. Gotten my driver's license sooner

I didn't get my license until the day before I moved into my freshman college dorm. When you have a handful of friends in your group that have their licenses and live in a smallish town, I didn't see the point to have my license. But I think that if I actually went through driving school and got the proper training (sorry Mom), I would have been a more confident driver and would have driven on the highway much sooner.

10. Loved myself a little more

I spent all of high school hating myself and thinking I was fat. Just imagine what that did for my self-confidence. I had a depressive phase during ninth grade, and I always complained about my size. Even when I was working out regularly and taking the necessary means to better my health. By the time I got to college, sure, I gained the freshman twenty, but I feel better about myself because I try to work out regularly and eat as healthy as I can on a budget. Thinking about yourself in a negative light is never good, and I wish I hadn't.

11. Cared a little less of what people thought of me

Now, this might sound a little hypocritical, but I still care about what people think about me. In high school, it's hard not to. When you're surrounded by the same people every day and you hear rumors about people, it's hard not to wonder what these people think of you. In college, it's a little different in the sense that there are nearly 20,000 people on my campus and really only the people in my major, organizations, and roommates know who I am. And that has given me a little more freedom to not give a sh*t about what people think of me. Somedays it's harder than others, but I am still working towards not caring at all.

12. Spent more nights hanging with friends

It's hard to spend time with friends when you don't have your license, but I still wish there were more sleepovers and parties. And a party in the sense of a bonfire, truth or dare, scavenger hunts, etc. just simple fun like that. Scheduling these things were so much easier in high school, and you can never have enough sleepovers!

13. Looked at different college majors before picking mine

I started my college career in the Accounting field. I took business classes for a year-and-a-half before I finally figured out, I hated it. Then came the scary task of figuring out what I wanted to major in: teaching, English, something with writing, general business. I made several advising appointments and met with all kinds of advisors about topics I was interested in. I wanted to find something I could finish within four years and had something to do with writing. Journalism was suggested and I've been much happier ever since.

I was a junior in high school when I decided to go for accounting. I didn't think I would change my mind, I was content with that major. But there is a difference between thinking about the major and actually doing it. The doing it part was difficult and I couldn't see myself doing business for the rest of my life. Whereas writing had already been a passion of mine, and the switch has really turned my college career around.

14. Pushed myself to be more adventurous

This has kinda been said already. I just think it's really important. But just joining more clubs, meeting more people, taking chances, and living the best high school life is super important. College is excellent and so much fun, but it is completely different than high school. And having these experiences in high school can make the transition to college life definitely makes it easier.

15. Enjoyed it more

When I look back at my time in high school, it's filled with bad memories. But there were a few years that were really enjoyable and with the two people that are constants in my life by my side really made it a lot worse than I thought. When you find your people, you stick with them until forever. I, of course, can't change anything about my high school experience except my mindset. Starting with that can really turn my experience around, and that is something I need to work on. But also keep in mind, that exciting things are coming, and they'll be here before you know it!