15 Frequently Asked Questions About A Transgender's Relationship

Finally some answers to your questions about a unique relationship.

36
Amberleigh Faith

In life, we find someone that we want to spend the rest of our lives with. We talk about the life goals and how much we can't wait to marry the other one. We began to tell each other all of our goals and how we want to succeed them with that person by our side. But sometimes, we get a certain goal, whether it's ours or theirs, that really makes us think. It shocks us, but it changes our whole life in a good way.

Almost a year ago, I started dating the love of my life. I didn't expect it to go as far as we have gotten and i couldn't ever imagine life without her by my side. We started off quick (and that's ok, too!), but one day she looked worried as she was skimming over Instagram. She showed me a picture of this guy and was going on and on about how she followed him. I asked her if she knew him in person and she told me no. A few minutes passed as I watched her stalk this guys page. Then, she finally spoke to me. "I want to be like this." I looked confused and asked her what she meant. She contemplated on the words to use to explain to me, but than she finally just let it all unravel. This beautiful and amazing person that I had already started to fall in love with had explained to me that she was transgender male. I kept looking at my phone and just said, "Okay." It shocked me a little, it did, but that didn't matter at all to me. I was in love with who she was, not what she looked like. Not the gender of this beautiful soul. I was simply falling in love with who she was.

Since then, we've been asked several questions. People demand answers, especially those who she or I have known for years. We sometimes laugh about it because those questions are easy to answer, but others are sometime like being hit in the face with a brick wall. People ask the typical questions to the transgender person themselves, but when it comes to the personal question they ask the partner of the transgender person. Why? I have no idea, but I was once told, "Well, I mean you're so comfortable with her being openly trans, so I figured you'd be open with personal questions." Quite frankly, that response actually pissed me off. It hurt to hear someone just be so rude like that. But no matter how rude people get, they want answers. As a transgender male's fiancée (and after talking over the topic with my other half), I've decided to finally give the answers to the top 15 most frequent questions that most people ask me:

15. "Oh my gosh. That's so shocking. How does her family feel about it?"

Well, let's start here. Her family is very supportive of her happiness. Granted, I don't always understand the meaning of family, myself, but seeing of how much support she gets from her family over this topic, it makes me cry. I haven't been there to see how her father feels about it. However, I was there to watch my fiancée come out to her mother. It was a fricking touching moment. She was crying, her mom was crying and I was bawling thinking to myself, "How beautiful." I wasn't even the one to come out, but I can still tell you every detail. Her mother told her that no matter what, she will support her. She may not agree with it, but she will still fight for her, no matter what. It broke my heart and then healed it again. It was like a scene from a movie (sorry, I'm a total cheeser and think most moments like these are like movies!)

14. "Wow! How does your family feel about this?"

First off, I don't talk to my father. He's a jerk who couldn't even accept the fact that I was gay and in love with another female. Secondly, my mom is conniving and also doesn't have a word in edge wise about my relationship, either. However, on my mom's side, my great aunt, my father's brother and his wife and my brothers are the only ones whose opinions matter to me. My great aunt is good with it along with my aunt and my uncle on my father's side. We don't talk about it a whole lot because we see it as she is a HUMAN. My brothers are all very supportive of it and will always be there for me as long as I'm happy. So yes, the ones who matter the most to me are good with it since I'm happy.

13. "Are you excited? Are you upset?"

This is my other half, we're talking about! The love of my life! If this is truly what she wants, then heck yes, I'm excited! I mean it's going to be a new journey but it will NOT change my mind about how I feel about her. I'm nervous because this will be a huge process, but it's going to be exciting. Why? Because it's a process that SHE wants and has wanted for a long time.

12. "Ok this is going to be personal. *giggle giggle* How are y'all going to have sex? I mean won't it be awkward?" (This one is a very popular one and it's awkward.)

*slowly take my hand and slaps my own forehead* Okay. Sex is the last of our worries. In all honesty, we could never have sex again and I'd be perfectly fine. Sex is not what I'm in this relationship for and it won't be why I'm staying then. But to answer your question, I have no idea and I really do not wish to discuss that with anyone.

11. "Have you guys picked out a name? I think you should pick, girl."

No. No, I do not think I should pick out her name for her. This is her territory. Yes, she asks me about names and what I think will suit her. So far she's sticking with a certain one and it's suiting her to a T. However, she may change her name to something else. It doesn't matter. If she chooses to become Sir Shabala, well then, I shall forever be in love with a man named Sir Shabala Bailon. I'm ok with that.

10. "What was your first thought when she came out to you?"

Oh my gosh, no! You cannot be trans! This will ruin my life! My whole family would hate me! Totally just kidding. My first thought was literally, "I knew it!" Haha, I kind of got a feeling she was, but I didn't want to ask. I didn't want to cross lines, especially with someone I was already falling for.

9. "Aw, so was it romantic when she told you? That would be so sweet and perfect."

Actually, no it wasn't romantic for us. It was most definitely a moment for us. It was fricking special and it became romantic later, but when she came out, it was just heartbreaking. The way she told me, it just broke my heart. She told me and all I said was "Okay." I guess she was looking for reassurance, but she made me look at her. She told me that she didn't think I understood. She was wanting to be a male. This incredible soul wasn't placed into the right body. She wanted to be a man. That's what she felt most comfortable with. When she told me this looking dead-straight at me, I seen fear. Hurt. She had this look that she was fixing to be rejected. It killed me on so many different levels. I could see that someone had once told her it wasn't okay. Whether it was society, Facebook, friends or whatever. This girl was passionate about this topic but had been rejected. I had to let her know that this was perfectly fine and that this is something she should be proud of. When she FINALLY realized that I was ok with this, she went on and on to tell me all these things. It seriously made me want to cry. So no it wasn't "romantic," at first.

8. "Has she came out to anyone else?"

Yes. She came out to one person before me. And after me, she told her mom. Then on Transvilibilty Day, she came out to Facebook and Instagram. She didn't get a whole lot of support from it socially, but that's okay. She has enough support anyway, and we all love her no matter what she does.

7. "She's open with it? How does that make you feel?" (This question gets me on a rant, but I'll keep it short.)

Let's get one thing straight, Caleigh is a HUMAN, not an animal that gets to be hidden in a cage like it's something to be ashamed of. I am so damn proud of her for being open and proud of who she is. I've never been one to be open. I like to keep to myself and, quite honestly, I hid the fact that I liked girls for a really long time. She is an incredible soul and deserves to be proud of who she is as a person. It does not matter whether she is male or female. Caleigh is an inspiration to all that meet her and honestly she is MY hero. I'm perfectly okay with her being proud of who she is and what she wants.

6. "Can y'all have kids after she has the surgeries?"

No. No, we cannot. And that's fine. We have other options to explore whenever that day comes if we still want children then.

5. "Is it going to affect her getting a job?"

Well, considering her future bosses won't be looking in her past in order for her to get a job... No, I don't think they will care, as long as she can get the job done.

4.) "So what all happens during this process? Is it a lot?"

To some, no, it's not. To others, it is. We have to get Caleigh in to see a counselor who will then talk to her about this. If she approves, she will send Caleigh a letter (with her male name) that she can show her doctor. This letter that she shows her doctor allows her to be approved for testosterone (or as some know it "T.") She takes these hormones and it helps with a lot of things, physically. It's going to take some good money but it will be absolutely worth it! We plan to record a lot of videos and whatnot to see the process.

3. "So when will she go to being a "he?" When it happens, do you think you'll be ok with it?" (This is mainly asked by close friends and family.)

She could actually start now if she wanted to. However, she has a few things she wants to do before she allows Caleb (her male name) to be born. She wishes to get ready physically and then she wants to start T. I KNOW I'll be ok with this. I may slip up and call him Caleigh or may accidentally use female pronouns, but we know it's only an accident. It'll be something I most def will have to get use to, but I really don't mind. It'll be worth every second.

2. "Does she have anyone to look up to? Like social networking people or anything? Do you have anyone who may know how this feels?"

She has been following people on Instagram and YouTube for a long time now. About four months ago, I started to as well. She watches a lot of YouTube videos and I try to watch many with her because it's very interesting to watch (and it brings a light to my heart to watch her get so happy about these things.) Tyler Turner seems to be one of our favorites to listen to and follow on media. Caleigh also just recently found out that one of her close friends just came out as trans male also. He has been a huge help to Caleigh, as well as his girlfriend being a huge help to me. So we're not alone.

1. "How do you actually feel about this process?" (The question asked by everyone and sometimes leaves me in tears.)

I feel as if this is going to be a piece of work. It's going to be a journey for the both of us. It's going to be confusing and tough at times. But it is going to be a beautiful walk that I couldn't be any more proud of to walk with her by my side. I'm going to hold her hand and I'm going to be so proud of her at every moment. She's going to become a different person physically but I know her personality will be the same. It's going to be hard at first to transition the names and pronouns but it will be worth every second. This is something she has wanted for the longest time and I'll stand with her, no matter what life throws at us. I know that we've made a lot of memories, but we will make even more, just she will be in a different figure. I love her as Caleigh. I'll love him when he's Caleb. Gender makes no difference; it's the soul that I fell in love with, and what I continue every day to fall in love with. I feel happy and so proud of this situation that someone like my fiancée is taking a huge step like this.

In life, things happen that we don't expect. Some get pregnant, some get married and some even pass away young. A part of my story just so happens to be that I'm in love with a transgender male and that's perfectly okay with me. I hope this article helps those who have been afraid to ask any questions. I hope that this allows people to realize that it's okay to be different. It's okay to be in love with someone different. I know some people may judge this article and not quite understand where we are coming from, but understand this: you're never alone, no matter the hard times you're going through. Someone out there is going through the same thing. And it's okay to search for help, just like it's ok to love someone who is going through this process and that its process that will be judged. But in the end, it is completely worth it to watch the person you love just finally be happy and proud of the body they finally feel comfortable in.

I cannot wait to see this day for my fiancée.