10 Films To Inspire The Traveler Within

10 Films To Inspire The Traveler Within

A night train across India to long-boarding down a winding road in Iceland, these films will motivate you to plan your next adventure.

65
10 Films To Inspire The Traveler Within
"The Darjeeling Limited"

Whether it’s watching Walter Mitty skateboard the roads of Iceland or Julia Roberts as she eats her way across Italy, these 10 films will make you want to have an adventure of your own as soon as the ending credits begin to roll.

"The Darjeeling Limited" (2007)

Three brothers, Francis (Owen Wilson), Jack (Jason Schwartzman), and Peter (Adrien Brody), reunite for an epic trip across India after their father's death in hopes of reconciliation after a year of silence. Voyaging on the Darjeeling Limited they reconcile and form an even greater bond than ever before with the bright colors and sights of India as their guide.

"180° South" (2010)

'

Adventurer Jeff Johnson travels from Ventura, California, to Patagonia, Chile, retracing the same trip taken in 1968 by his idols Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkins. As Johnson surfs, sails, and climbs his way from North America to South America, the footage of his adventure is enough to make you want to have one of your own.

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (2013)

Walter Mitty has two jobs: He's a full-time employee at Life magazine and he's a daydreamer (not that he's the only one). But after a photograph goes missing, Walter is forced out of his daydream and into the real life, a real life full of adventure. Starting in New York, Walter travels to Greenland, Iceland, Yemen, and Afghanistan -- countries that are bound to make your must-visit list after watching this film.

"Eat Pray Love" (2010)

After Liz Gilbert (Julia Roberts) signs her divorce papers and quits her job she embarks on a journey of self-discovery that takes her to such places as New York City, Italy, India, and Indonesia. As the title suggests, Liz eats, prays, and loves through some of the most beautiful, and not to forget exotic, countries in the world.

"EuroTrip" (2004)

The result of a huge misunderstanding has five friends traveling through Europe in the hopes of making things right and for our main character, Scotty, to win the girl of his dreams. But what Scotty doesn't know is that this movie will make you want to have your own adventure of a lifetime with your closest friends.

"Under the Tuscan Sun" (2003)

After Frances Mayes finds out her husband has been cheating on her, she dramatically changes her life; she travels to Italy and spontaneously purchases a Tuscan villa that needs a lot of TLC. Although her surroundings are quite bleak in the beginning, other than the colorful characters that she picks up on the way, her life is soon filled with color and light as well as new love. This movie has an ending that will make you want to buy your own Tuscan villa.

"Into the Wild" (2007)

Christopher McCandless graduated at the top of his class from Emory University. The son of wealthy parents and with a bright future ahead of him, he gives up his life of prestige and donates his savings to charity and embarks on a journey to the Alaskan wilderness. After watching this film, you probably won't want to cut up all your credit cards but you definitely will want to put an adventure like this on your bucket list.

"The Endless Summer" (1966)

If you have watched a surf movie but it wasn't this 1966 film, then you haven't really watched a surf movie. This film will make you want to conquer your lack of balance, grab a surfboard and set out to the coasts of Australia, New Zealand, Africa, and Hawaii.

"The Beach" (2000)

Filmed on the Thai Island of Koh Phi Phi, this film's exotic, and not to mention beautiful, location will help you ignore the plot and acting (both of which are awful) and imagine yourself on the beach alongside a young Leonardo DiCaprio.

"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (2011)

Five individuals (or better described as "elderly people") take residence in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" but upon arrival "the best" is quite the opposite of an accurate description. This group of diverse personalities explore India in depth from its poorest to its richest, and with plenty of India to still explore, this film will make you want to visit such a vibrant country -- hopefully before the age of 70.

Just watching one of these films will without a doubt make you want to have an adventure of your own, so take note of these lively characters and get ready for the overwhelming desire to book your ticket for somewhere, just anywhere.