15 Children's Movies That Adults Should Watch

Think Rated G movies are just for kids? Think again.

394
Stocksnap.

Have you ever watched a movie marketed towards kids and thought that it was really deep for children?

I am a huge fan of Disney movies and try to watch most of them as soon as they come out, or re-watch ones that I really enjoyed as a kid. While there are a lot of movies marketed towards young children, a lot of them have themes that are still important to adults, especially those who are college aged. In the new wave of Disney movies that have come out, they tend to have more adult/progressive themes, that if watched from a child's perspective would be completely missed. If you think that "children's movies" can only be enjoyed by children, then here are 15 of children's movies that have important messages, even for adults.

1. Inside Out

Disney Pixar's attempt to describe how our brains work is also a good reminder that you don't always know what someone's thinking or going through. From the outside, her parents just assume that she's being moody because of her age, but inside her brain, her emotions are struggling with recovering her core memories.

2. The Book of Life

This movie focuses on the Mexican holiday, Day of the Dead, so it can be educational about another culture. It also shows that being yourself is more important than trying to impress others and those who really love you will see your differences as strengths, as shown by how Maria loves Manolo even though he doesn't carry on his family heritage because he wants to be a musician.

3. Moana

Not only does this movie have a fantastic soundtrack, but it also shows the struggles of a teen and whether they should obey their parents or do what they believe is right. Moana's struggle is facing her fears of both disappointing and disobeying her father by trying to save her island, but she doesn't want to ignore her father's orders to not go beyond the reef.

4. Toy Story

One of Disney Pixar's most iconic series, it shows the importance of friendship and accepting and believing in others to help them through their hardest times. Toy Story focuses on how you should never judge people because you don't always know what they're going through, in relation to Jessie's fear of being forgotten again, because she thinks that Woody is better off in a museum than trying to get back to Andy, only to be forgotten by him eventually.

5. The Incredibles

This is one of the best family based movies that Disney Pixar has made. It shows a family struggling to fit in and shows how while you may not always appreciate it, your family is always there to help you out. Mr. Incredible feels lost trying to fit in with the non-super people. When he's given a mission he doesn't tell his family because he doesn't want to disappoint them or put them in danger, but he needs their help in order to save the town they live in.

6. The Princess and the Frog

Being a newer princess movie, I don't know how many people have seen it, but it is one of Disney's princesses of color. It features one of my favorite songs, and it also shows how when you find someone who's meant for you, they'll stick with you through the good and the bad. Tiana's dream is to own a restaurant, but when she meets Prince Naveen and gets turned into a frog, she makes the situation work by staying with him, both in frog form, and starts cooking for the swamp animals.

7. Up

A classic adventure tale about an unlikely duo, this movie reminds you of the importance of friendships, and how the people we need will come into our lives when we need them. It also indirectly shows the importance of dealing with grief and not holding on physical items that remind you of those who you lost, but the memories and the good qualities they brought out in you. While trying to fly to Paradise Falls, he needs to get rid of some of the stuff in his house so he can remain flying, but he doesn't want to give up anything that reminds him of Ellie.

8. Brave

Like Moana, Brave features a female lead that isn't afraid to break away from tradition and what is expected of her to lead the life she wants to lead and save her people. In Brave, Merida is expected to marry one of the other clan's oldest sons, but she wants to be able to live her life independently. By not marrying someone, she puts a rift between the clans that is only repaired when Merida and her mother repair their relationship.

9. Spirited Away

One of Studio Ghibli's most famous movies, it tells a coming-of-age story and how it's important to know who you are and how to solve your problems on your own without the help of your parents. After her parents are turned into pigs, Sen has to fight against the witch who took her to remember who she is and save her parents.

10. Lilo and Stitch

Even though Lilo is a young girl, the story is still very important because it shows how important your family is. One of the most iconic quotes from the movie is "Ohana means family" and throughout the movie, you see Lilo, Stitch, and Nani's undying devotion to each other, because they're family and they want to see each other be successful and happy.

11. James and the Giant Peach

This movie shows that your family isn't always who you're related to, but who chooses to be there for you and that even though your friends have their quirks, you love them nonetheless. It also shows that while you might think that life can't ever get better, it does, even if it's not in the way that you think it will.

12. Finding Nemo and Finding Dory

A great movie with a very good sequel. I think these movies are still important because they show you the importance of trusting your family, as they know you best most of the time and accepting others weaknesses and strengths. In Finding Dory, Dory's parents lay out shells for her every day because they trust that she'll remember that shells will lead her home, no matter what else she remembers about them.

13. WALL-E

A dystopian movie for kids, WALL-E touches on the future troubles the Earth may have if we as a planet don't start caring more as a planet, as demonstrated by all of the humans living on a spaceship waiting to be able to return to Earth. The spaceship always shows the dangers of living a sedentary lifestyle and forgetting to be more interested in the world around you.

14. Zootopia

This movie deals with how detrimental prejudice is to society and how you shouldn't judge someone based on their physical appearance. It also shows how important it is to believe in yourself and never give up on your dreams. If Judy Hopps hadn't been able to see past what society had told her how Nick Wilde would act, then she wouldn't have been able to solve the biggest case in the city of Zootopia.

15. Anastasia

It has a brief history lesson in the sense that the royal Russian family existed. But it also shows how even in the hardest of times, love is stronger than hate. At the beginning of the movie, Anastasia is separated from her grandmother and loses her memory. They both struggle through to find each other, and the things the Anastasia associates with her grandmother are the things that bring back her memory.