15 Books Every Gryffindor Should Read

15 Books Every Gryffindor Should Read

The brave were prized far beyond the rest

316
15 Books Every Gryffindor Should Read
Pottermore
"You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry,
Set Gryffindors apart"
-Sorting Hat

Gryffindors are well known for being adventure seekers, rebellious pranksters, loyal friends, and amazing wizards. We are also known for being a little reckless and hot-tempered. With our strengths, it is sometimes overlooked that we can take a step back from exploring and enjoy our studies and reading (See Hermione Granger). So for those brave at heart, who are ready to seek adventure in the pages of a book here are a few suggestions from your fellow Gryffindor.

1. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

"Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escape, true love, miracles."

All the things a Gryffindor loves and is is crammed into one book. It plays on the core Gryffindor traits and indulges our more mischievous side.

2.Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

"If you can take it, you can make it. A moment of pain is worth a life time of glory."

Starting off a rebellious kid with no hope turned Olympic athlete turned into a prisoner of war, Louis Zamperini shows the true definition of heart, nerve, and courage.

3. Endurance By Alfred Lansing

"By endurance we conquer"

The New York Times said it best when they called it one of the great adventure stories of our time, but I would venture to say it may be one of the greatest of all time.

4. Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

"Reader, you must know an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform"

Gryffindors have a heart for the underdog that just won't stop fighting and will fall in love with the little hero of this book. Even a mouse can be a Gryffindor.

5. Beau Geste by P.C. Wren

"The love of a brother for brother is as steadfast as the stars and endures like the words of a prophet."

When three brothers run away to join the French Foreign Legion, a story of heroes, chivalry, and heart ensues. Beau Geste translates to 'a noble gesture', which, for Gryffindors, is a life style.

6. Roots by Alex Haley

"He walked to the edge of the village, lifted his baby up with his face to the heaven and said softly, 'Fend kiling dorong leh warrata ka iteh tee (Behold the only thing greater than yourself')"

The story begins with a young man, Kunta Kinte, who is captured and sold into slavery. It details the bravery and love present even in the face of many, many trials.

7. Modoc by Ralph Helfer

"You will become something greater and more wonderful than you can imagine."

The tale of Modoc tells of the incredible bond between two souls and shows friendship is not limited to just humans. Heroes come to light when faced with trials, and love always wins.

8. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

"I am not afraid of what I know "

When faced with challenges, Gryffindors, like Black Beauty, choose to endure, believing that good will come. This classic portrays that goodness can be found even in hardship.

9. Don Quixote by Cervantes

"'Obviously,' replied Don Quixote,'You don't know very much about adventure.'"

With knights, giants, and adventure this story weaves the kind of chivalrous tale every Gryffindor will love.

10. Moon Shot by Alan Shepard and Deke Slayton

"We will do this not because it is easy but because it is hard."

If flying to the moon in a tiny space ship doesn't count as brave then I don't know what would.

11. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

"For I never care to do a thing in a quiet way, it has to be theatrical or I don't take any interest in it."

When an accidental time travel trip sends Hank back to the time of King Arthur, hilarity and mischief, that not even the Marauders could top, begins.

12. Homer's Odyssey

"Take courage my heart, you have been through worse than this."

Rightly called an epic, this tale of gods and heroic men has earned its place in the libraries and hearts of Gryffindors.

13. Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

"Nothing that we do is done in vain. I believe with all my soul we will see triumph."

Written in a time of great chivalry, Dickens writes the Gryffindor characteristic nerve and daring.

14. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

"Never fear quarrels, but seek hazardous adventure."

If that isn't the Gryffindor motto, it probably should be.

15. Men to Match My Mountains by Irving Stone

"Bring me men to match my mountains, Bring me men to match my plains, Men with freedom in their visions and creation in their veins."

The first mountain men of North America may not have been the most chivalrous of folk, but they made up for it with their daring, nerve and bravery.

Bonus: Harry Potter

There may not be a series of books which has all the traits of Gryffindor as such a common theme. You can always choose to be brave, so grab a book and enjoy the adventure.