14 Things You Know If Your Parent Is A Teacher

They will forever interrupt you to correct your grammar.

1648
Katie Nields

If you have a parent who's a teacher, you're life is automatically different from everyone else's. You may not even realize it, but if you're mom or dad is anything like my mom, then you've surely had different parenting than your friends. You've grown up with it, and this lifestyle is all your used to. You might not even realize how strange it is, but life with a teacher for a parent is definitely something... interesting to say the least.

If your mom or dad's a teacher, sit back and read this list, because I can assure you, you will relate to these things:

1. School is #1 for you... no questions about it.

Yes, school is a priority for most parents, but it's different with a teacher for a parent. School is literally life and you MUST have your work done above all else.

2. They tell all their students all about you.

Yes, my mom's students do know random details like the meal she was eating when she found out she was pregnant with me. And guess what, I don't even find it weird anymore.

3. And after all the stories, their student's are star struck when they see you in person.

This more applies to grade school teachers. You might as well be a celebrity walking into your parent's fifth grade classroom.

4. Visiting their classroom was always like a field trip for you when you were young.

Especially if they taught at a different school. It was like visiting a whole other planet.

5. People always like to inform you how they feel about your parent as a teacher.

"I love [insert your parent's name here], but don't you think she should grade a little easier? You should talk to her about that."

6. Your parent went to ALL of your parent-teacher conferences... and probably made best friends with your teachers doing so.

Teacher parents love to have teacher friends, even if they teach at different schools. I can't figure out why; maybe because they're all sworn to some secret teach clan together. Who knows, but I can hear my mom now: "Katie talks too much? Don't worry Jan, that won't happen again... anyways how are the kids?"

7. You've definitely helped them grade some papers or prepare their classroom for the school year.

My mom used to reward me with back to school shopping if I would come in and help her put together her classroom. I still can't decide if all my labor was worth it.

8. They use their 'teacher voice' with you way too much for comfort.

I get it, you use it all day at school and it's how you get students to behave in the classroom. So why not whip it out at home too, right? In the words of Donald Trump: WRONG.

9. Your parent is overly involved in everything at your school and chaperoned on more than one occasion.

Is it even really a field trip if my mom isn't there? What even is socializing anyways when you have your parent to accompany you?

10. You can't go anywhere with your parent because she somehow knows the whole community.

If they don't run into one of their many many former students, then they're running into a teacher friend (AKA a clan member).

11. They will always and forever interrupt you to correct your grammar.

The grammar police are real, and I know my teacher parent is a dedicated member. Try getting out a full sentence to her, I dare you.

12. Your parent is loaded with gifts from their students after every holiday.

One of the things I'm the most grateful for because none of us can deny we would take some of our parents' teacher gifts. I mean come on, nobody needs that many presents for themselves.

13. You definitely wanted to be a teacher when you were younger because your teacher parent was your role model.

Having access to a classroom was probably the best part of my childhood. Pretending to be a teacher was the best, and it only got better when smart boards made their debut.

14. At the end of the day, you love having a teacher for a parent because they always push you to be your best.

Sappy, but true. They believed in you and never let you accept the thought of failure. Their teacher-ly optimism could get you through anything.