14 Things to do in Cincinnati that are Practically Free

A collection of adventures for Queen City penny pinchers

98
Google Images

We’ve all been there. You want to have fun, but you don’t want to spend the money. Here is a handful of the many free/cheap events the Queen City has to offer.

Disclaimer: Some of these activities may require you to pay for parking.

1.) Visit the International Friendship Park:

This is a beautiful park that trails right along the edge of the Ohio River. Each section of the park is designated to one of the seven continents and represents worldwide friendship. Filled with unique art pieces and beautiful landscaping, it’s an easy park to walk through (especially with your friends).

2.) Go ice skating on Fountain Square:

Every winter, an ice skating rink is set up on fountain square. It’s relatively cheap to rent skates ($4) and actually get inside the rink ($6). Can’t ice skate? No problem. It’s great to go people watching too (completely free)! Watch people of all ages and ice skating talents, bundled in layers of coats and scarves, holding hands and slipping on the ice. Or if you’re anything like me, you can go to watch the Zamboni smooth over the ice every hour or so.

3.) Go to the WEBN fireworks

This fabulous display of fireworks is held every Labor Day weekend as a part of River Fest. You can watch the fireworks from either side of the river. Thousands of people show up to watch these fireworks shot from boats on the river every year. What’s even better? The show is synced to a playlist on WEBN (102.7 FM). Turn up your radio and try to find a good seat!

4.) Visit the Cincinnati Art Museum/ Eden Park

This museum is totally free to get in! You could spend hours in here roaming around and looking at all the art this museum has to offer. Not much into art? That’s totally fine. The Cincinnati Art Museum is in the middle of Eden Park, another beautiful spot in Cincinnati.

5.) Visit the Contemporary Arts Center

This museum is also free to get into. What exactly is contemporary art? Go and find out!

6.) Walk all the way across the Purple People Bridge

Start on either side, Kentucky or Ohio, and look for a big purple bridge (Like the bridge’s website says, “Of the nine bridges crossing the Ohio River at Cincinnati, only one of them is purple”). This bridge provides a great view of the Cincinnati skyline. Since 1872, this bridge has allowed many methods of transportation to get humans across the river (cars, trains etc.), but now its vehicle free. Designated by the people, for the people: The Purple People Bridge.

7.) Ride to the top of Carew Tower

Only $4 for adults, a trip to the 49th floor of Carew tower gives you a spectacular view of Cincinnati right from the heart of it.

8.) Walk around Coney Island

You don’t technically have to pay to get into Coney Island. It’s actually a park that anyone can walk through. You don’t have to pay for a pool/rides pass to have fun. Check to see if there are any events there throughout the year. Events range from firework competitions and hot air balloon glows, to an Appalachian festival.

9.) Find the “Sing the Queen City” sign

As a part of the CityInk project, this sign is set up right in front of the Roebling suspension bridge. This bright, 3-D sculpture is actually just a fraction of a whole poem that has been “inked” on several other locations in Cincinnati. This sign makes for a super cute photo op for you and your friends.

10.) Visit Union Terminal

Trains are a huge part of Cincinnati’s history. Most of Union Terminal has been turned into a museum center (which you do have to pay for), but the terminal itself is free to get into! Bring a friend to test out the amazing whispering fountains on the walls of the terminal.

11.) Go to Carabello Coffee

There is the cutest coffee shop on 9th street in Newport, Kentucky that you have to visit. Their coffee is amazing, but the story behind this company is even better. Carabello coffee gets its coffee from 3rd world countries and is based on a philanthropy that gives all the profits from the coffee back to the nations, such as Nicaragua or Kenya. Visit this coffee shop and be prepared to smell them roasting the coffee in the back and have beautiful latte art in your cup.

12.) Visit the first location of Tom + Chee

Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese? Tom + Chee, is a rapidly growing franchise that became famous after appearing on CNBC’s Shark Tank. Starting in Cincinnati, this restaurant is unlike any place you have ever eaten before. Customize your grilled cheese and tomato soup just the way you want it and don’t forget to try their famous specialty, the grilled cheese donut.

13.) Go window shopping at Findlay Market

This market is a huge part of Cincinnati’s history. It’s bright, colorful, and lively as there are over 100 merchants who sell produce at this market! You may be tempted to spend some money, but you technically don’t have to.

14.) Take a ride on the new Cincinnati Bell Connector

Okay, so why not? This street car has been a debatable Cincinnati subject ever since the start of the project, but now that it’s open we might as well put it to use. At the cost of $1 for two hours or $2 for an all-day pass, this street car takes you to many of the places that are on this list, and will save you major bucks on parking in the city.