14 Things Only Photographers Understand

I started taking photos in 2008 while my family was moving across the country. I had gotten the camera for Christmas and decided to put it to use while we stayed at Yellowstone National Park. After that summer it saw very little use. It wasn't until my freshman year of college did I pick it up again to start photographing the plants and animals around my campus. That summer, I asked my family to get me a DSLR camera so I could begin my journey as an amateur photographer. While college is a time to try new things, it can also be a difficult time to pick up a new home and hone your skill in it. Even though I have been taking photos for years now, I'm still very much an amateur, but I am involved in the online community and here are some things I think all photographers can agree on.

1. You aren't usually in the photos.

Well someone has to take the photos for everyone else.

2. You go through tripods faster than a pair of shoes.

Maybe it is time just time to get a heavy duty one from Gitzo.

3. When taking a photo, you will try to explain the intricacies of photography to your friends, but they won't understand.

They don't care. They just want the picture taken.

4. Anytime you want a still photo in nature, the wind blows.

Not to mention hair blowing into someone's face.

5. Even the most decrepit and rotted building can be beautiful in your eyes.

And you will take the photo to prove how beautiful it is.

6. You've had the feeling someone has taken the same photo as you have.

It's not the best feeling, but it motivates you to get more creative.

7. You have rushed to get a photo of a sunset you were not prepared for.

You didn't think the sunset that evening would be perfect for a photo and you were wrong.

8. Your camera goes with you everywhere.

It pretty is just like your baby.

9. You can never have too many lenses.

You carry them with your camera at all times in case the situation calls for it.

10. You know there is more than one kind of photographer.

There is more than just amateur and professional.

11. You will get into Olympic gymnast level positions to get "the shot."

We will really bend backwards if we think the angle is better.

12. You really don't care how you look when taking a photo.

People might think you are crazy, but you know the results are worth it.

13. You really will do anything to get "the shot."

As long as your equipment stays safe, only the photo matters.

14. You wish your eye was a camera.

In a single blink, you could take a photo of exactly what you were seeing and share it with the world.