14 Things That Are Better Than a Significant Other On Valentine's Day

Or: You're Alone On Valentine's Day And You Need Some Comfort

47
PinImg

For those of us who are alone right now, it's a bit of downer to see couples acting all lovey-dovey and holding hands and going out to dinner in their finest on Valentine's Day. It feels like for every single person you see, there's at least 30 other couples around smooching, hugging, or doing some other form of PDA that even Cupid doesn't want to see. It can all get to be a bit much, and before long, you start thinking: Am I going to be forever alone?

The honest answer? No, probably not. But it might feel like you are, so you've just got to remind yourself that there are things out there that are much, much better than a significant other on Valentine's Day.

And don't you forget them!

1. Sunrises and sunsets

I mean, there is nothing better than watching red merge into orange and gold and dip below the horizon, and there's nothing better than a sunset until the sun rises again. They are starts and ends of each day, and they bring more peace than any SO ever will.

2. Spending money

Sometimes we all need to act a little like Donna and Tom from Parks and Recreation and just treat ourselves, ya know? So long as you don't blow your life savings, I'm sure Valentine's Day can be one of the best days of the year.

3. Hugs

There's really not a whole lot like a good hug where the person just completely envelopes you in warmth and oh man-- it just makes any and all feelings of loneliness disappear just like that.

4. Waffles

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2F11%2F636223729082081076-168018736_azvp48g9bizlk7uombiv.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=248&h=645ae4dfde840f40e6610aa2a4f242d96818f0e9c9bd10fed4b97a26325957e4&size=980x&c=1327521874 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F02%252F11%252F636223729082081076-168018736_azvp48g9bizlk7uombiv.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D248%26h%3D645ae4dfde840f40e6610aa2a4f242d96818f0e9c9bd10fed4b97a26325957e4%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1327521874%22%7D" expand=1]

I just put this in here because you can't have a Valentine's Day article without referring Parks and Recreation more than once, and also-- Galentine's Day is a thing, and should be a thing, forever and ever, and without Leslie Knope, founder of Galentine's Day and lover of waffles, single people everywhere would be sorely let down.

5. Netflix

If you don't have a significant other, you can always watch other people's relationships crash and burn on TV. (Gossip Girl's still on Netflix, right?)

6. Naps

Especially after a long day, flopping down into your comfy bed is far better than an SO. But if you really want someone to cuddle up with, just get one of those body pillows. It's comfy and won't talk to you, and it's probably one of the cheapest dates you'll ever have.

7. Massages

The stress of Valentine's Day can easily get to you, so why not treat yourself (see #2) and have a masseuse pull that stress right out?

8. Disney movies

Everything usually turns out OK in the end of Disney movies, and sometimes when we're alone, we need a little comfort that hey, maybe we ARE in a Disney movie, and our princess/prince/gender-nonconforming royal person hasn't yet come to sweep us off our feet! #thereshopeyet

9. Friends

Grab your single friends (or maybe even your couple friends who aren't into traditional Valentine's Days) and do something fun! There's no better way to distract yourself from your singleness than being with tons of other single people.

10. Bubble Baths

Let's sing the praises of Lush and drop a bath bomb into comfortably warm water and just let the worries of your day dissipate. Close your eyes and just breathe in everything. Just don't forget to get out-- no one wants pruny fingers.

11. Romance novels

If you don't want the trouble, responsibility, or stress of a relationship, you can just have someone else go through it for you! And then, if/when it all gets to be a bit much, you can take a step back and rejoice that you are actually not that person!

12. Travel

Just straight get out of town. Don't be around anyone you know and just learn to be alone somewhere else. I promise it'll do wonders for your soul.

13. Chocolate

Go buy some of that fancy chocolate and eat your feelings. Everybody knows that calories consumed on Valentine's Day don't count anyways.

14. Dogs

DOGS! ARE! THE! BEST! THINGS! IN! THIS! WORLD! SO! TAKE! ADVANTAGE! OF! THAT! AND! GO! FIND! A! DOG! THAT! AUTOMATICALLY! LOVES! YOU!

-----

Well, that's my list. I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day, regardless of whether or not you're in a relationship, and remember: dogs will always love you.