14 Signs You Went To A Catholic School

14 Signs You Went To A Catholic School

Amen to that.

4930
14 Signs You Went To A Catholic School
Divine Child High School Athletics

Catholic schools... you either loved it or hated it! It's safe to say if you have you've reading this article, you probably attended a catholic school at one point in your life. Everyone that attended a catholic school will be able to relate to the ridiculous yet influential customs a fellow catholic school-er adopted throughout their years.

See also: 28 Things You Remember If You Went To Catholic Grade School

1. Uniforms.

You know... the classic kilt and blouse! I'm gonna be honest here... throughout my elementary school years I absolutely dreaded uniforms. However, now that I am older, I can definitely appreciate them. It truly is great being able to wake up at 7:00 a.m.., throw my uniform on, and be at school for 7:15 a.m.

2. Coincidentally getting "sick" on mass days.

Ah yes, the monthly one-day-lasting cold just so happened to hit on the day of mass... again! What a coincidence! Oh what, your mom is not buying it this month? Just go in for your morning classes and leave during lunch. One more student in the attendance office calling their mom to come home won't do any harm, right!?

3. Knowing everyone in your grade.

Chances are, your class size was small... like really small. You probably knew everyone and the whole school knew the latest new gossip by the end of first period, despite the fact that us good catholics would never commit such a sin!

4. Every day began with morning prayer and the pledge of allegiance.

You better be standing up, out your seat as soon as the bell rings, ready for morning prayers. And if you're late, stop walking in the hall and face the nearest cross!

5. Eating that greasy cheese pizza for lunch on Fridays during Lent

When I was little, Fridays during Lent was the highlight of my week! ...Until I realized just how gross the greasy, cardboard-like pizza was. Nevertheless, you knew it was going to be a good day when you got cheese pizza with a chocolate milk for lunch... just make sure you grabbed some extra napkins to sop up the grease with.

6. Those classic public school comebacks.

"God loves us for free." -said by every losing public school team ever.

7. Holding back saying all of your sins in confession because you know you'll see your parish priest later that day.

Thank god for the saying, "...For these and the sins I have for gotten, I ask for God's forgiveness," am I right?! Sure, those sins you avoided saying during confession didn't really get forgiven, but it gave you some relief for the time being. There's nothing worse than confessing your sins and the priest addressing you by your first name.

8. Sitting next to your crush during mass so you could shake their hand during the sign of peace.

I mean... how else are they gonna notice you? Shout out to mass for getting you step closer to getting your crush to notice you!

9. Putting forth more effort into getting around the dress code rather than your homework.

"...But it says *insert your school's name here* on it! Why can't I wear it?!" If it wasn't the kilt, khakis, or your button down shirt/blouse, you weren't gonna be able to wear it for long... unless you had the cool teachers that had better things to focus on than students being in uniform.

10. Seeing a Crucifix in every room.

Everywhere you look you saw a crucifix... The halls, classroom, gym, and sometimes even the bathroom!

11. "Parties" were pretty much nonexistent.

Let's be honest... the whole "catholic school parties are far more crazy than public school parties" stereotype was complete crap. There was no such thing as a party when you attended catholic school. Admin could find out about party plans for that weekend and shut it down by the end of first hour with suspension or expulsion threats.

12. Leaving room for the Holy Spirit.

This is the ultimate test to determine whether or not you went to a catholic school. Every school dance I ever attended required me to sign a contract stating that I understood I would be removed from the dance if there was not "room left for the Holy Spirit." Obnoxious? Extra? Call it what you want but rest assured there was always room left for the Holy Spirit when you went to a catholic school.

13. Getting really excited when they sang your favorite song at mass.

When you go to catholic schools for this long, you start to take a liking to some of the songs you've heard over the years. Nothing made the mass more bearable than seeing your favorite song on the song sheet.

14. Religion class.

For some reason, this always seemed to be the hardest class to earn an A in. And while it didn't show up on your transcripts to colleges, it still brought your GPA down when you didn't do so well.