14 Signs You Were A Camp Counselor At The Y

This job is a nightmare dressed like a daydream.

59

In context, getting paid to lounge around with kids all day sounds like a dream. I thought kids were cute. I thought kids were funny. Little did I know that kids have a dark side that no one should ever see... a side of them that only comes out when their parents drive out of The Y parking lot and wave goodbye for eight hours.

The dedicated young adults who investigate these misbehaved children are members of an elite squad known as The Y summer camp counselors. These are our stories. *ding ding*

1. You've learned to despise the term "dress up."

What used to be a fun childhood memory has become a day of terror, masks, and over enthusiastic coworkers.

2. Swim time means a one-piece and that just does not fly.

It also means you have to take your kids to the changing room, which SHOULD be an easy time of the day.

3. You appreciate rainy days so much.

Indoor days are the best days. Rainy days are even BETTER when there's thunder.

4. You've learned to hate parents.

Guys, chill. I don't suck, your kids suck. None of this is my fault, please let me go home.

5. Because of the Y, you can now accept that it's kind of okay to wear your camp shirt more than once without washing it.

Sure, it's disgusting and smelly and probably really unsanitary, but there's only so many hours in a day. Priorities.

6. Camp. Songs. Are. The. Enemy.

You can't ride on my little red wagon. End of discussion.

7. As much as it sucks, you find yourself constantly gossiping about camp... more specifically, your campers.

Your life is completely consumed by camp talk. Kids are interesting little creatures.

8. Being a counselor has made you realize that your parents most definitely have a favorite child because you have a ranking of your favorite campers.

9. You now have trust issues because you've encountered another counselor who is just another camper.

We've all had that co-counselor who refuses to discipline, go swimming, take responsibility, etc.

10. Lunch time is the best time, mainly because it's hard for kids to be annoying when they're shoving food in their mouths.

...until your camper "forgets" to pack their lunch and then you're frantically running amuck looking for food to give them.

11. The term "age is but a number" is so false. Age is important. ESPECIALLY when you're deciding which age group you want to run. Note to self: there is no good age group.

12. You've learned that the threat "I'm going to have to send you to the office" is not effective. These kids are ruthless and will stop at nothing to get what they want.

13. In a way, you've grown to appreciate kids and their sense of humor. They're actually really, really funny...

14. Although you hate waking up in the morning, you can't help but smile at the thought of getting paid to hang out with kids all day.

They're not that bad and you definitely think about them sometimes. So here's to you, kids. Thanks for being completely ridiculous and making my summer anything but ordinary.