14 Quotes To Live By

14 Quotes To Live By

Everyone needs an inspiring quote to live by.

118
14 Quotes To Live By
Greg Rakozy

We can often find refuge, inspiration, and guidance in the words of others. I find that keeping certain quotes in mind can serve as the perfect motivation to allow me to persevere and push forward when I may feel like giving up. Quotes can even summarize everything we couldn't quite articulate ourselves and make us feel more understood. While I could have compiled a list of several more quotes, here are 14 quotes to live by:

1. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

To Kill A Mockingbird is an incredible book for a multitude of reasons, and its lessons are simply impassioned. This quote really encompasses the importance of empathy. Everyone is going through something, or has gone through something, and I think that is essential to keep in mind. In order to truly connect with and understand someone, you need to look at things from their perspective, not solely your own.

2. "The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

Life is all about taking risks. If we never take risks and constantly play it safe, we miss out on so many opportunities and live a life of stagnation. There of course is a difference between a brave person and a reckless person, for a reckless person leads a life that is no better than the life led by a cautious person. Nevertheless, taking the risk and learning from one's mistakes creates a life far more enjoyable than one that is calculated too carefully.

3. "If you can dance and be free and not be embarrassed, you can rule the world."

Never take life too seriously, and similarly, never take yourself too seriously. Life is best lived when you're true to yourself and are carefree. If you can be yourself and do what you think is right and never feel controlled by discomfort or self-consciousness, you can get through life just fine.

4. "If you want to know where your heart is, look to where your mind goes when it wanders."

I overthink every situation I am in and often struggle to decide whether to follow my head or follow my heart. I think it is important to listen to the two and allow them to work together in order to formulate the best decision. Sometimes, some situations require you to just follow your gut, which can be easier said than done when you're constantly overthinking. Sometimes it's best to simply sit back and see where your mind goes and how you feel when you're not overtly analyzing all the possible decisions you can make. The right choice just may lie right in front of you, and you've been neglecting it in ignorance without even realizing it.

5. "Worrying means you suffer twice."

Although this quote comes from the film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Newt Scamander speaks only the truth. I overthink and worry about everything, and as a result, most situations appear worse than they truly are. To constantly stress about how worrisome a situation may be creates a falsehood of how terrible the situation really is and only makes you more miserable in the process.

6. "You can't pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first."

Self care and self love is not selfish. While it is incredibly important to give all that you can to those you love, you must be the best version of yourself in order to do so. You must love yourself in addition to loving those around you. You can take care of yourself and love yourself while still possessing selflessness.

7. "Go after what you want or you will never have it."

While patience is important, so is determination, persistence, and perseverance. You cannot wait for things to happen to you or for things to be handed to you. There is nothing wrong with asking for help or knowing when the situation is out of your hands; however, it ultimately is up to you to go after what you want and make things happen for yourself. Do not hold yourself back, and do not expect anything to happen without first putting in the work yourself. You need to work hard for your dreams and keep trying.

8. "The world is filled with nice people, if you can't find one, be one."

I cannot stress this one enough. Kindness is a universal language, and just a little goes a quite a long way. Be the reason someone feels loved, listened to, and understood. Hold the door open for someone, pay someone a genuine compliment, offer valid advice when asked for it, or simply smile at others.

9. "Doubts kill more dreams than failure ever will."

Your fears and self-conscious thoughts are your worst enemies. Never doubt your capabilities or your dreams. I know it sounds cliché, however, you can truly do anything you put your mind to!

10. "Comparison is the thief of joy."

This quote is additionally one worth stressing. Comparing yourself with others only stimulates a false sense of competition that is completely unnecessary. Your life is uniquely your own, and it is essential to focus on your own progress. Do not undermine your successes by comparing them to someone else's, and never let someone put you down by making your successes seem inadequate.

11. "Get lost in what you love."

Your passions should never take a backseat in your life. Keep your creativity alive and strive to surround yourself with everything and everyone you love. Your hobbies and passions and the people you love are what make life worth living.

12. "Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give."

The development of your character lies in how you treat those around you. Give your all to the ones you love, and don't get too caught up in the things you own.

13. "Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm."

This is similar to #6, though still slightly different. You cannot sacrifice yourself and your wellbeing entirely for others, because eventually you will wear yourself out. In order to truly tend to those you love, you need to be the best you can be, and you cannot get to that point if you're unhappy.

14. "Always go with the choice that scares you most, because that's the one that is going to help you grow."

Change and risk may seem quite daunting; and admittedly, neither are easy things to go through. Nevertheless, facing that which scares you will only make you stronger, braver, and wiser and will change you for the better. Things often seem much more scarier than they truly are, and once you overcome your fears, you can face even greater challenges much more feasibly.

I hope you enjoy these quotes and find them as enlightening and relatable as I do!