14 Movies That Might Make You Shit Your Pants

Because fear makes the heart beat faster.

13787
Pimbaljon on Flickr

One popular tradition for couples and singles alike is that of watching films on Valentine's Day. Many couples reach for romantic flicks, and singles are often drawn towards "Anti-Valentine" movies. Well, we know that just because you're single doesn't mean you have to hate love, and that not all couples always desire the mushy cliches, so here’s an in-between option: horror.

Horror isn’t necessarily just gore and torture-porn; it can be psychological and surreal and filled with dark comedy. Some people love getting scared, and others love comforting others. Horror movies are great for cuddling with a person, a pillow, a friend, and perhaps to let out blood-curdling screams or gut-wrenching laughs. Horror has a little bit of something for mostly everyone, so here are 14 movies you could watch on Valentine’s Day and beyond.

1. "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night"

Taglined “The first Iranian Vampire Western”, the film "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" is nothing that you’d expect. It’s full of love, the surreal, comedy and body-shuddering imagery. A coming of age tale, this vampire flick is rightfully praised and definitely deserves watching.

2. "The Babadook"

Frightening and unnerving, this 2014 psychological horror film shows what happens when your child’s boogeyman is real. The wildly acclaimed movie ventures into the world of widow Amelia (Essie Davis) and her 6-year-old son Sam (Noah Wiseman), showing the complexities of parenthood and grief, as well as the love of a mother and child, all whilst they escalate towards madness.

3. "Below"

Mixing World War II with horror just makes sense. This film is led by Bruce Greenwood and takes place on a submarine. A psychological thriller, this claustrophobic film is filled with the supernatural and features a pre-fame Zach Galifanakis.

4. "Children of the Corn"

A gift from the king of horror himself, this adapted Stephen King story is a cult classic that’s of the classic '80s horror genre, and involves a cult. How fitting. In the typical Stephen King way, the film involves a couple (Peter Horton and Linda Hamilton) that enter a small town that's more than meets the eye -- if more than what meets the eye means ritual murder, which it totally does.

5. "Dead Silence"

If "Chucky" didn’t completely make you nope away to Nopesville, this demonic doll just might. Made by the director of "Saw" and "Insidious," James Wan here delivers comedy and noir elements with jump scares and silly terror. This curse-driven film is definitely one to watch, and Bill the dummy is one to not take eyes off of.

6. "From Dusk Till Dawn"

Undoubtedly iconic, this film is brought to us by the masterful pairing of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. Completely strange, completely quotable and completely bloody, this film’s tone shifts in a way that’ll leave you disoriented, cringing, laughing and blanching all the way through. Not to mention that its sequels are on Netflix if you're down for a double or triple picture.

7. "Honeymoon"

Rose Leslie is here to show us that not only does Jon Snow not know anything, but we know nothing about horror too. A true flipping of Rosemary’s Baby, this isolated cabin-in-the-woods scenario puts lovers grappling against each other, testing not only their relationships but their lives too.

8. "Horns"

Adapted from Joe Hill’s 2010 novel, this Daniel Radcliffe-driven movie is part murder-mystery, part fantasy transformation. A bit odd to describe, the film involves Daniel Radcliffe’s character being falsely accused for raping and murdering his girlfriend (Juno Temple), and as he tries to find the real killer, begins to grow horns and gain other horrifying, supernatural powers.

9. "Housebound"

Another horror-comedy on this list, this film takes another fresh, yet also nostalgic approach to the demonic home invasion story. The movie is about a would-be thief who is in the custody of her estranged mother, considering morality while being absolutely chill-worthy.

10. "The Human Centipede"

This film needs little summary, as iconic is one word for this series. Torture porn at its best, or maybe at its worst? You can decide in a potential Tom Six triple-feature viewing, if your stomach can last that long, that is.

11. "Let The Right One In" (2008)

This Swedish vampire story is truly the antithesis for new-age vampire romance. Step aside Edward, this film is silently horrific. Another coming of age tale, this film involves two young neighbors, Oskar and Eli. Scary, funny and perhaps romantic, the isolated and escalating moments of bloody violence leave this film bone-chilling and subverts what the vampire-love genre has become.

12. "The Monster Squad"

Hey, do you love movies that scream the '80s? Do you love "The Goonies" and "Ghostbusters"? Well then, this is the film for you. Campiness meets sheer terror in this creature feature, which is not only fun, but intelligent and a costuming marvel.

13. "The Nightmare"

Perhaps you’re not down for fiction. That’s OK, let’s get real. "The Nightmare" is a 2015 documentary that has made horror nay-sayer shake with fear and anxiety. Psychological is the simplest term to describe this commentary on sleep-paralysis as individuals who suffer from the literal body-stilling condition describe their horrifying occurrences.

14. "Open Windows"

Described as a techno-thriller, this Spanish film stars Elijah Wood and Sasha Grey in a concept that has been popularized based off realistic events. You’ll shudder as our leads are preyed upon through their own computer and phone cameras, and probably tape up your computer’s camera once it’s over.