The 14 Most Depressing Episodes of Grey's Anatomy

Prepare to cry

1133
hercampus.com

Grey's Anatomy has become the show we love to watch, or bawl our eyes out to. Over the seasons Shonda Rhimes has managed to kill off almost all of our favorite characters and pull our hearts out from our chests. So thank you for that, Shonda. I've decided to put together my own personal favorite tear jerking and most memorable moments and episodes for your pleasure, or displeasure for that matter.

14. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" Season 8 Episode 18

Not everyone may remember this episode but I sure do. An older couple come in after seeing a lion near their bed and breakfast since the husband was having some chest pain. The whole episode you think that he's the one you should be worrying about but BAM right after his surgery when Dr. Altman goes to tell the wife he's fine, she's in the waiting room dead.

13. "As We Know It" Season 2 Episode 16-17

This episode was more intense than it was upsetting considering the wife of the man wouldn't stop screaming and we don't discover that he has a live homemade bomb inside him until they're already in the OR. On top of that, Bailey's husband was on his way to the hospital while she was giving birth and was in a car accident. So not only are we concerned for Bailey's sanity and her husband's life we now have to worry about a bomb. Finally, after everyone has survived and the surgery is over, the bomb explodes killing a member of the bomb squad.

12."Let It Be" Season 2 Episode 8

This episode especially sticks out in my mind to me because while these two were only a subplot, they were such a beautiful couple, Jed and Esme. Upon hearing that she didn't have much time to live she asked for her husband not to be informed, although she didn't realize he already knew and asked the same thing in regards to keeping it secret from her. At the end they are seen smiling and hugging each other, taking advantage of their time together.

11. "Sanctuary" Season 6 Episodes 23-24

Well, well, well. These two episodes were intense, dramatic and tear jerking. When a gunman opens fire on Seattle Grace, no one is safe. Meredith had just found out that she was pregnant and then watched Derek got shot, whom then had to be operated on by Cristina and while Cristina was operating on Derek, Meredith had to operate on Owen. We are also concerned for Alex's life since he was shot and crawled his way to an elevator, whereas luck wasn't as great for Charles Percy who was shot in the room where Bailey and her patient was. The whole episode we thought everyone would die, so that was pretty heartbreaking. This was the episode that proved no one was safe from Shonda Rhimes.

10. "Into You Like A Train" Season 2 Episode 6

I just recently watched this episode again and cried just as hard as I did the first time. After a massive train wreck, two strangers were stuck on a pole and the doctors knew that Bonnie had no chance of survival, so they basically outright told her she was going to have to die in order to save Tom's life. These two characters were both kind, considerate and easy to connect with which made watching this episode so much harder.

9. "Song Beneath A Song" Season 7 Episode 18

A musical? Okay, so definitely a weird episode, and probably not anyone's favorite, but the fact that Callie was pregnant and in an almost fatal car crash is reason enough to be emotional. Minus all of the singing, the plot was actually fantastic.

8. "Hope For The Hopeless" Season 8 episode 12

This was when Adele's Alzheimer's has already advanced pretty heavily and kept thinking that Meredith was her mother. Aside from this transition already being difficult to watch, in this episode Adele was screaming at Richard from the gallery during his 100th surgery and to calm her down he sings their wedding song. :'(

7. "All I Could Do Was Cry" Season 11 Episode 11

Jackson and April lost their son, Samuel, this episode. Learning that their baby had a very rare and incurable disease, April still wanted to be induced instead of terminating the pregnancy due to her beliefs. This episode hurt for so many reasons, mainly because the baby had to die, but also because this was the beginning of April and Jackson's relationship crumbling apart.

6. "Flight" Season 8 Episode 24

AFTER ROOTING FOR MARK AND LEXIE FOR SEASONS ON SEASONS THEY FINALLY ADMIT THEIR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER, ONLY FOR LEXIE TO DIE MINUTES LATER IN AN UNEXPECTED PLANE CRASH. ARE YOU SERIOUS. This episode was just ridiculous. So many emotions all at once. We lost Lexie, and then one episode later the wonderful Mark Sloan dies. Arizona and Callie's relationship begins to fall to pieces, and we don't know if Derek will ever be able to operate again. This episode was sudden, unexpected and all around depressing.

5. "Fear (of the Unknown) Season 10 Episode 24

This episode was heartbreaking for one reason, it was the last time we ever get to see Meredith and Cristina dance it out. </3 This dynamic duo was better than any relationship on the show, ever. Here's to hoping that they bring her back eventually, hopefully, please.

4. "How To Save A Life" Season 11 Episode 21

McDreamy. The infamous episode that no one could stop talking about. I know I know, you're probably wondering why it's not first but you'll see when you keep scrolling. This one was definitely hard, but luckily, leading up to his death we were able to hate him just a teensy bit considering the sizable problems between him and Meredith at the time. Also, it wasn't that unexpected since the episode before he dies the cops show up at Meredith's doorstep, so it's safe to assume that the worst is yet to come.

4a. Meredith putting on Derek's scrub cap

I think that this scene itself was by far more emotional than Derek's actual death. Seeing her put on that scrub cap made it so much more real that there was no coming back from this.

3. "Dark Was The Night" Season 8 Episode 9

RIP Our beloved Henry. We all fell in love with his character the minute he stepped foot in the hospital and his death was unexpected and heart wrenching. It led to many other developments in plot and characters throughout the season. Altman and Henry were arguing before the surgery, Cristina feels responsible for his death, partly blames Owen for not telling her who the patient was and it leads to a fallout between the two. Definitely a tough episode to watch especially seeing Cristina break down after she finds out who she was operating on.

2. "Now Or Never" Season 5 Episode 24

GEORGE. OUR GEORGE IS DEAD. I really don't think anyone is over this or ever will be over this. We thought oh maybe he'll be in the military and they'll follow a sub plot, or maybe he'll change his mind, no one thinks that the patient is George, and when they finally do, it's a shock for everyone.

1. "Losing My Religion" Season 2 Episode 27

Denny Duquette. We will never be over this one. Never. By far the most wonderful patient and most disappointing death ever, especially since we really thought after everything Izzie did he would live. Except no, he didn't. He died. And I'm definitely still not over it.