14 Pro Life Tips For New College Students

Worried about being away from home for the first time? Here is EVERYTHING you need to know.

9

1. Set a weekly budget

Even if you are lucky enough to have your parent’s credit card. This will get you used to budgeting when you’re a real person and can’t afford to have no money in the bank.

2. If there’s no AC in your dorm…

…keep the blinds closed while you’re gone at class and keep your feet cold. Take off your socks while you’re in your room and if it has become hell on earth, soak your feet in cold water.

3. Go to the planned orientation activities

Gross, right? But actually, go to all of them because you aren’t busy for the first few weeks. No, you aren't. Yes, crowds full of people you don’t know are terrifying, but this is how you are going to make friends. Everyone who goes to those events is in the same boat as you. The first two weeks are crucial; everyone forms their “groups” by then.

4. Leave your dorm door open when you’re there

So if you’re not a very social person and don’t want to start conversations with random people, let them come to you! Sometimes if people see that the door is open, they’ll stop by and introduce themselves

5. Learn how to use Facebook

Everything is on this goddamn website. Your friends, campus groups, pages for your major’s department, etc. Fluency with this social media site is how writers of the Odyssey get their articles out every week.

6. Get to know your Professors

Your Professors are people too; they generally really enjoy what they do and want to get to know their students. Don’t be afraid to ask them questions during office hours, or just stop in to say hello! They want to engage with you and for you to engage the material. Most don’t bite. Most.

7. Find a mentor

I don’t mean a tutor from your academic help center. I mean one of the professors that are teaching in your major. Find them, make them your idol, and let them help you achieve all of your hopes and dreams in college and after college. It’s also nice to talk to a real adult that has most likely helped many other college students in your major start their life.

8. Learn to cook & eat healthy

Ordering and eating out gets expensive and unhealthy. Your fast metabolism won’t be there much longer. Every other day, make it a “healthy options” day and cook something that is good for you. A lot of things that are good for you also taste good! Don’t know any healthy recipes? Well, there’s a solution to that.

9. Don’t buy books from the bookstore

You’re probably getting ripped off. Amazon Prime gives 6 months for free and then 50% off subscription after that if you register with a .edu account. Use that and get some free two-day shipping!

10. Prioritize

Sleep and Eat; you’re still human. You’ll do better on that test if you get a solid 8 hours of sleep rather than if you stay up all night studying for it and get only 2 hours. Keep an agenda and prioritize your assignments. Every so often, you’ll miss a meeting or an assignment. Was it the end of the world though? Was there something more important (like sleeping, eating, and keeping a pulse) that you had to do? Chances are, you will recover from it.

11. …… GO TO CLASS

Yes, attendance is optional. No, you’re probably not the 1% of us who can still get an A even though he didn’t go to all his classes Freshman year…. You’ll do better if you go to class. It’s simple logic.

12. Do stuff!

(I'm sorry I had to) Having doubts about that audition? Don’t think that you’ll get a bid to the fraternity/sorority you want to join? Do people scare you? Do what Shia says and just do it. Seriously. This is the only time you’re really going to have the “college experience” so don’t live in regret. You don’t want to make your college experience a regretful one.

13. In the end… Have a good time.

You'll be okay. Relax, don’t stress too much, make friends, date, work hard, play hard. It’s a great experience so do it your way. Don’t ruin it by staying in your dorm for four years. But also don’t go too hard on the booze and partying. The academic part is still kind of important.

14. Oh, and wear a condom.

Always.