14 Important Female Role Models

14 Important Female Role Models

These ladies changed the world.

624
14 Important Female Role Models
Express Impress

Women rock. There are so many fantastic women in the world who deserve our appreciation and eternal admiration for all they have done in clearing the way for the rest of us. This is not a list of any 'top most influential women' because all women deserve the right to take up space and garner influence in this world, and there is no proper way to rank them that would do anyone justice. This is merely a list of women who have deeply affected me in one way or another, women who have led incredible lives and who inspire me to be a better women each day. It's time to appreciate some really bad ass women, so here is my list of some of my favorite female role models:

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The notorious RBG herself. Justice Ginsberg has been on the Supreme Court for 12 years now, and spent much of her incredible career battling sexism. At 82, Justice Ginsberg is still out there proving all the men who told her she would never make it wrong, and fighting for women's rights in the courts every single day.

"Women belong in all places where decisions are being made...It shouldn't be that women are the exception."

2. Aung San Suu Kyi

Aung San is president of the National League for Democracy in Myanmar (formerly Burma). In 1990 she was elected as Prime Minister of Burma. The Burmese military government would not let her assume power. She is one of the world's most notorious political prisoners, having been kept under house arrest by her own government for 15 years, in order to silence her and her pursuit of a free and democratic Myanmar. She received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.

"The only real prison is fear, and the only real freedom is freedom from fear."

3. Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou was an incredibly influential African American author, poet, and Civil Rights leader. She became a mouthpiece for the oppressed, sharing her experiences with sexual assault, racism, and poverty in America, and touching the hearts of generations. Maya passed in 2014, but her words will echo in eternity.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

4. Malala Yousafzai

Malala is a teenager from Pakistan who was shot in the head by a member of the Taliban on her way to school in 2012. She has become an outspoken activist for female education and is the youngest Nobel Peace Prize laureate ever. She and her family continue to travel the world, campaigning for female education and raising awareness to the fact in many places around the world, women and girls are still not allowed to go to school, often on fear of death.

"I tell my story, not because it is unique, but because it is not. It is the story of many girls."

5. Gloria Steinem

Gloria Steinem is arguably one of the most influential voices of the second wave feminist movement. Steinem has led an incredible career of feminist activism and jouranlistic excellence. She has been unwavering in her support for women's rights to their bodies, abortion rights, trans and gay rights, and has vehemently campaigned against genital mutilation and the pornography industry.

"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."

6. Laverne Cox

Known for her role in Orange is the New Black, Laverne Cox became the first transgender person to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for acting. She has become a trailblazer for the trans and LGBTQ community and continues to work for the welfare, awareness and safety of all trans people.

"It is revolutionary for any trans person to choose to be seen and visible in a world that tells us we should not exist."

7. Park Geun-hye

Park is the current president of South Korea and the first female president.

"I have no child to inherit my properties. You, the people, are my only family, and to make you happy is the reason I do politics."

8. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is the current and first female president of Liberia, and is also the first female head of state in all of Africa. She was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2011 for her "non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women's rights to full participation in peace-building work."

"All girls know that they can be anything now. That transformation is to me one of the most satisfying things."

9. Wilma Mankiller

Wilma Mankiller was the first female chief of the Cherokee Nation. A recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Wilma battled sexism in the Cherokee hierarchy and fought tirelessly for the rights of indigenous women her entire career. Wilma dedicated her life to the betterment of the marginalized native peoples of the United States.

"Prior to my election, young Cherokee girls would never have thought that they might grow up and become chief."

"I've run into more discrimination as a woman than as an Indian."

10. Toni Morrison

Toni Morrison is an acclaimed American novelist and serves as Professor Emeritus at Princeton University. She is a recipient of the Pulitzer Prize, Nobel Prize, and Presidential Medal of Freedom and is best known for her novels, The Bluest Eye, Song of Solomon and Sula.

"The loneliest woman in the world is the woman without a close woman friend."

11. Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington is a very successful author and syndicated columnist, and is the co-founder and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post.

"The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly - indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection."

12. Serena Williams

Ranked number one in world for women's singles tennis, Serena Williams is at the top of her game. In 2015, Serena completed her "Serena Slam" by winning all four of the major competitions in the sport. She is beautiful and one of the best athletes in the world, and not afraid to remind us all of what she is capable of.

"Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come."

13. Sally Ride

Sally Ride was an American physicist and astronaut, and was the first American woman in space. She is still the youngest person to have ever been in space, at 32, and was a pioneer and life long advocate for women pursuing careers in math and science.

"If we want scientists and engineers in the future, we should be cultivating the girls as much as the boys."

"Young girls need to see role models in whatever careers they may choose, just so they can picture themselves doing those jobs someday. You can't be what you can't see."

14. Loretta Lynch

Loretta Lynch is the current Attorney General of the United Sates. She attended Harvard for undergrad and law school, and went on to be a completely bad-ass prosecutor. Personally, I think we will see her running for president in the next few years (or at least I think she should). #LorettaLynch2024

"The power to arrest - to deprive a citizen of liberty - must be used fairly, responsibly, and without bias."