14 Highlights From The 14th ELCA Churchwide Assembly

This ELCA Churchwide Assembly was historical and will lead us to influential changes in this world.

7
ELCA

This past week I had the opportunity to attend the 14th Evangelical Lutheran Church of America Chuchwide Assembly in New Orleans, Louisiana. Even though this was my second Churchwide Assembly, I have learned so much about Louisiana's culture, the ELCA, and the Global Church. Since this was the 14th ELCA Churchwide Assembly, here are 14 highlights from the assembly.

1. The ELCA is much larger than the United States and Lutheranism.

Voting-members and guests heard greetings from individuals around the world and from our Ecumenical partners. Greeting were brought forth from the Episcopal Church, the Lutheran World Federation, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, the Conference of Catholic Bishops, members of the Jewish faith, members of the Muslim faith, and many more. Voting-members heard about the marvelous work of inter-religious dialogue and actions. Much is being done, even though these actions aren't broadcast to the rest of the world.

2. All things are possible with God.

The adaption of Declaration on the Way is an important milestone in Lutheran and Catholic churches together as after 50 years of dialogue these two churches can come together in faith to agree on 32 statements. This was a huge milestone as the 500th Reformation anniversary is coming in 2017. This brings us, the Lutheran and Catholics, closer to the day we can share the Eucharist together.

3. Like Jesus, the church cares for all brothers and sisters in Christ.

AMMPARO Strategy (Accompany Migrant Minors with Protection, Advocacy, Representation and Opportunities) passed with overwhelming support to stand with unaccompanied minors and their families. This strategy will help make a difference in upholding and advocating for basic human rights and safety for migrant children and families, while changing policies and addressing root causes of migration from Central America and Mexico.

4. "An end to hunger is not only possible, but doable."

The world today has enough food to feel enough to feed this world 1.5 times, but unfortunately people across the world are still hungry. The ELCA World Hunger effort has and continues to provide aid and advancements in decreasing deaths related to starvation and diseases from preparing the food.

5. Make sure you have snacks for plenary sessions.

Sessions are educational and business orientated, but since they last all morning and the afternoon, you need snacks to get you by. The Assistant to the Bishop has the duty to buy snacks for the table, but make sure the snacks are protected. Snacks seem to walk away from the table.

6. Your bishops know so much and can provide so much insight about everything.

I have learned so much about Robert Rules of Order, the ELCA, the Lutheran World Federation, and the world. Thank you bishop, bishop elect, and vice president for proving so much insight into the assembly and everything.

7. The ELCA makes a difference in this world.

Even if you weren't present to help with the clean up after Hurricane Katrina, you did make a difference in New Orleans. We need to remember that this is OUR church and YOU are apart of the larger church that is making a difference not only in New Orleans, but all over the world.

8. Youth and young adults are the now of the church.

The youth and young adults are the now of the church and this was evident in the plenary sessions and throughout the assembly. The youth and young adults made up 13.8% of the voting members. These members even took it upon themselves to take their lunch bags from Thursday's box lunch and refilled them with food to pass out to the homeless on Friday. They might only be a small portion of the church but their actions and voices need to be heard.

9. With the Holy Spirit, the assembly elected a new Vice President.

On Friday the assembly voted to elect Bill Horne II to a six year terms as the ELCA's Vice President. Earlier in the week we had the privilege and honor to thank Carlos E. Peña. Carlos Peña was elected to his first term in 2003 and was reelected in 2009. The assembly honored his years of dedication and service with the Servus Dei award.

10. We went old school during assembly.

We started voting with a voting card and handheld device, but due to technically difficulties we had to retro back to the old ways of voting. Technology can be great, but you must have back-ups in case of glitches.

11. Lutherans love their coffee and Twitter.

Twitter and coffee were hand in hand this week. Twitter provided updates and insight about all the happenings at the assembly, especially about the line for coffee. If you didn't have Twitter and Livestream you missed out.

12. Robert Rule's of Order can lead people to be salty.

Robert Rule's of Order is not an easy thing to understand, so much props goes to our ELCA Churchwide parliamentarian and Presiding Bishop for conduct the meeting of the church accordingly. Personally, I don't know how you can remember all the rules, especially because they are different depending on the motions already being discussed.

13. Scarfs, hats, mittens, parka, and long underwear would have been beneficial to pack for the plenary hall.

It was cold in the plenary sessions, but we made historical movements that will lead this greater church and create a more justice and peaceful world for all. Though our external bodies were cold, our hearts were warm with acceptance and perseverance to a more free and justice world.

14. Not everyone knows what a kiddie cocktail is. #Cultureshock

Sometimes we can get wrapped up in our culture that we sometimes forget about differences within the United States. This Churchwide Assembly main topic was diversity and it was not only seen and talked about in the plenary sessions, but in the streets of New Orleans. We indulged ourselves into the local cuisine and found ourselves tasting spices and seasonings we had never experienced. Be open to accept new things with love and interests as I found out this world has so much to offer and we are often closed to new experiences and ideas.