14 Apps For Successful High School Students

There's an app for everything.

420
MOHI SYED

I know. You're a high school student, or soon to be. You realize that a high school student's plate isn't just filled with classes, but also sports, clubs, SATs and a social life of football games, proms and pep rallies. Don't head into the classroom unarmed — turn to your phone or tablet. There are plenty of apps to help keep your life organized and have a successful high school career.

1. Studious

Studious is an intuitive homework planner that helps students organize their homework and exams to quickly and efficiently improve their organization and time management skills. The app reminds you when due dates and exams are approaching, and it also silences your phone during class when you input your schedule (we all know the feeling...).

2. Quizlet

Research has shown that learning material through flash cards utilizes metacognition, which is known to ingrain memories deeper into your knowledge; so in our digital age, Quizlet is the place to be! Quizlet boasts millions of flashcard study sets for numerous topics created by students around the world, and it also allows students to make their own. To add variety to the learning process, Quizlet flashcards also support images and audio.

3. Mathway

Unsurprisingly, math homework and tests in high school can be quite challenging; way too much time in a student's life is spent guessing-and-checking as they search for the right answer. Mathway, the world's number one problem solver, will guide you step-by-step while you search for algebra, geometry or any other math solution. Simply type your problem in or snap a quick picture with your camera to receive free instant answers!

4. Documents

It can be confusing to keep track of where all your files are, especially if students and their teachers use various services like Dropbox and Google Drive. The Documents app combines all the major services including Apple's iCloud, Microsoft's OneDrive and Box ) to store all your documents and files in one convenient, accessible location! The app also allows you to annotate PDFs, browse photos and read e-books.

5. Wolfram Alpha

Dubbed the "Star Trek computer," the Wolfram Alpha app holds more than 10 trillion pieces of data and 50,000 equations. The app uses these to compute answers and generate reports on topics ranging from trigonometry and astronomy to genealogy and mythology. It provides you with graphs, step-by-step explanations and formula details. Meet your new know-it-all best friend, which also happens to help power Apple's Siri.

6. 30/30

It's about time! Completely gesture-based, this app divides tasks into 30-minute time periods with breaks in between to help get work done efficiently and increase productivity.

7. Notability

Notability is the perfect PDF annotator and note-taking app for students. The app comes packed with tools such as highlighters, pens and shapes to make notes look organized, beautiful and allow students to annotate with ease. The in-app filing system also makes it easy to organize notes for each class and make them accessible when it's time to study for a big exam!

8. Wunderlist

Wunderlist is a simple to-do list that increases productivity. The app includes a wide variety of features such as the ability to add, organize and schedule to-dos from any device, set due dates and reminders to never forget important deadlines (or birthdays!) ever again and collaborate with others on lists.

9. Alarmy: Sleep If You Can

For persistent snoozers who always seem to wake up about 20 minutes late for class, Alarmy: Sleep If You Can is the perfect app. Alarmy requires users to complete small tasks such as taking a specific photo or shaking the phone up and down vigorously before the alarm turns itself off. The app not only ensures that users are alert when they wake up, but it also provides the latest weather updates so that they can be sure to arm themselves with an umbrella before they leave.

10. Duolingo

For any student taking a foreign language class, this app is a must-have. This number-one app in "Language Learning" turns brushing up on languages such as Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English into a game using activities involving voice recognition and an achievement format.

11. Zombies, Run!

Exercise often loses its appeal and priority when students have challenging and time-consuming exams and assignments to worry about, but Zombies, Run! is an app that makes jogging seem fun and can quickly turn anyone into a track star. The app plays personalized music playlists alongside recorded audio depicting a zombie apocalypse in which users must run from the infected. A little bit terrifying? Sure. A great source for effective workouts? Absolutely! For students who may prefer a zombie-free workout, 7 Minute Workout is another great application for brief and effective workouts.

12. Power-napping App

You snooze, you lose...is a phrase commonly uttered by people who don't know what they're talking about. Science has revealed that taking a timeout to sleep during the day not only provides an energy boost but also has significant cognitive and health advantages. The Power-napping App allows students to set their nap timer to five, 10, 15 or 20 minutes and customize wake-up sounds and graphics to ensure that they are awake on time. High school doesn't have to involve running on less than five hours of sleep a night, and the Power-napping App is here to help!

13. Unstuck

An app that has helped the leaders of companies such as Apple, Starbucks, Nike and Disney, Unstuck is a motivational life coach conveniently located on your phone. According to the website, Unstuck is “an in-the-moment digital coach that’s ready every time we’re feeling stuck.” It asks a series of questions to help users become motivated…and, especially in the case of high school students, prevent procrastination!

14. Kno-Textbooks

Kno-Textbooks is a fantastic app for students who don't want to carry around pounds of heavy textbooks on their backs all day (everyone?). The app has lots of e-textbooks which can be highlighted and annotated, and it has an easy user interface which allows users to synchronize content throughout multiple devices, share notes with classmates and add media.