14 Of The Most Alluring Lines From "The Great Gatsby"

Gatsby? What Gatsby? F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel is read in thousands of high school classrooms every day. We were taught the significance of T.J. Eckleburg's eyes and the green light. In our haste to leave, we didn't stop to look at the beautiful language of Fitzgerald's novel. However, as I've gotten older and re-read my favorite novel, I stopped to take in all the elegant dialect Fitzgerald wrote. Here are the most alluring lines from "The Great Gatsby."

1. "I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life."

2. "I wasn't actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity."

3. "Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive, and not after he is dead."

4. "Life is so much more successfully looked at from a single window."

5. "The exhilarating ripple of her voice was a wild tonic in the rain."

6. "Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and miss it? I always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it."

7. "One emotion after another crept into her face like objects into a slowly developing picture."

8. "Their eyes met and they stared together at each other, alone in space."

9. "I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy."

10. "Calmness wasn't an end in itself."

11. "Blessed are the dead that the rain falls on."

12. "And I walked on I was lonely no longer. I was a guide, a pathfinder, an original settler."

13. "You see, I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad thing that happened to me."

14. "So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight."