14 Adorable Animals You Probably Haven't Seen

There's more than just puppies and kittens out there.

National Geographic
414

Nothing tugs at the heart like cute furry creatures; that's why therapy animals are a common college campus stress reliever. Dogs at the Student Center? I'm there. But there's even more adorableness in the animal kingdom that you need to see.

1. Siberian Flying Squirrel

They look too adorable to be real, but I assure you they aren't stuffed animals.

2. Dik-dik

These little antelopes weigh seven to 15 pounds can run up to 26 miles per hour.

3. Rock hyrax

Also commonly known as rock rabbits or dassies, the rock hyrax actually has an ancestor in common with elephants. They also live in colonies, so there's a whole group of these little cuties living together!

4. Golden Lion Tamarin

A group of these majestic primates is called a troop.

5. Spectacled flying fox bat

The spectacled flying fox is aptly named for the lighter fur around its eyes—all the better to look at you adorably with, my dear!

6. Pangolin

It looks like a creature from fantasy, but the pangolin is native to 15 African countries. Its scales, which account for 20 percent of its weight, are made out of keratin (like human hair and fingernails).

7. Sugar glider

The nocturnal marsupial's gliding membrane is called the patagium.

8. Bee hummingbird

Native to Cuba, the bee hummingbird is regarded as the world's smallest bird.

9. Red panda

Unfortunately, the red panda species is endangered. There may be less than 2,500 wild adult red pandas today.

10. Tree kangaroo

The fourteen species of tree kangaroo are native to the forests of Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Australia. Their tails measure 16 to 34 inches.

11. Patagonian mara

While it might look like some species of rabbit or deer, the patagonian mara is actually an Argentinian rodent.

12. Fennec fox

Weighing in at 2.2 to 3.3 pounds, the fennec fox is the world's smallest fox. Its large ears radiate body heat and keep them cool in the Saharan desert.

13. Wombat

It just looks so cuddly!

14. Margay

The margay is the only cat that can rotate its hind legs 180 degrees, meaning it can run head-first down trees.

While sometimes there's nothing like playing with your dog, there are lots of adorable creatures out in the world to appreciate!