13.1 Tips For Running A Half Marathon

13.1 Tips For Running A Half Marathon

From the crazy, to the crazy.

16
13.1 Tips For Running A Half Marathon

I'm no expert on half marathons, but I have run around the block a few times (pun severely intended). For those of you who don't know, a half marathon is 13.1 miles – the perfect distance. I know what many of you who haven't caught the running bug are thinking. Why, oh why, would you want to run 13.1 miles for fun? Well, because there's nothing better than working your ass off for however many weeks your training plan is, to be rewarded by a medal, a shirt and the satisfaction that you did what few others have done. Here are 13.1 tips for training for your first half marathon.

1. Find a training plan you can stick to.

If running five days a week is unrealistic for you, find a different training plan. There are plenty three or four day a week training plans that will work just as well for your busy schedule.

2. Buy a good pair of running shoes.

Seriously, go out and invest. I know shoes aren't cheap. But you know what else isn't cheap? Physical therapy because you injured yourself because you weren't running in good running shoes. Go to a running store that performs gait analysis. Marathon Sports, Runner's Alley and Sound Runner are a few great ones in New England I can think of just off the top of my head. They'll work with you, they'll help you find some great shoes and you might even gain a little more knowledge on half marathons while you're there.

3. Eat!

This is just as vital when training for a half, depending on how many miles you're running each week, so eat well! Feed your body food, so it can use it as fuel, so you don't fizzle out during your runs.

4. Stretch.

This coming from the girl who absolutely refuses to stretch and now can barely touch her toes- stretch. After every run, no matter how tired you are, stretch. You'll thank me for it one day, I promise.

5. BodyGlide is your BFF.

Have you ever had chaffing in between your legs? I have, and it's miserable. So, listen to me when I tell you to invest in some BodyGlide. Put it all over your body, and I promise you, even though you'll be tired and sore, you won't have any raw chaffing anywhere on your body. When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere. I won't say it, but you know what I'm trying to say. Everywhere.

6. Stick to your training plan.

I know the last thing you want to do your only two days off is wake up early and run, but just do it. There's other ways you can manipulate your training plan. Don't feel like doing long runs on your weekends? Make them on Fridays! Read up, ask people – there's always a way to make your training plans work for you.

7. Find your nutrition!

During races, people tend to snack just to keep their energy levels up. What you eat before you run is important, but what you eat during your run is also really important. Gu is really popular for most runners, but find what works best for you. Go to a running store (like Marathon Sports, Sound Runner, or Runner's Alley) and buy a few different options and find which one works best for you. The last thing you want to do is grab something the day of the race, and half way through, you realize it doesn't want to stay in your stomach!

8. Find your race.

Most people like to find a race first. I like to find a race about three weeks into my training plan. Either way, finding a race is important. If you're from the New England area, some awesome half marathons are Boston's Run to Remember, Big Lake Half Marathon, Eastern States Half Marathon, any of the Yukan Halfs (usually out of Glouster) and the Cape Cod Half Marathon.

9. Find good running clothes.

Be it a bomb sports bra or some great spandex, purchase some good running clothes. You are going to be in these clothes for a while, and you want them to be comfortable. You don't want them to rub the wrong way or move around while you're running.

10. Don't set a time goal.

Things happen. You could be running all 8:30's, then the day of the race bam! It's 101 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, but for your past few longs runs, it's been mid 50's and raining. Your goal is to finish, and you should be damn proud that you do!

11. Practice smiling during your run.

There are camera people on the course taking pictures of you, so practice your smiling through the pain beforehand, so people don't get pictures of you mid sob.

12. Cross train!

When training, it's easy to forget there are other forms of exercise other than running. Hit the gym and make sure to throw some weight lifting and other exercises into your training plan.

13. Make a good playlist, or enjoy the sounds around you!

At first, I was an avid iPod runner. If there was no music, there was no runner. I slowly learned you don't need music to run, though. The sounds around you are beautiful and enough to keep you going. You wouldn't believe how many problems can be solved when you're alone with your thoughts for an hour. But, a good playlist is always great, too. If you Google "half marathon playlists," there are plenty of them out there with a great tempo!

13.1. Have fun!

After all the training and hard work you put in, don't forget it's supposed to be fun. Enjoy your race, take pictures and talk to your other runners because you're all in the same boat. You wouldn't believe how much you learn about people at mile eight when there's no one else around and you're trying not to throw up the bagel you ate that morning.

Good luck!