13 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Friday The 13th Tattoo
popular

The only thing superstitious thing about Friday the 13th is the flash deals offered at tattoo shops.

3848

Friday the 13th is notoriously known for being a superstitious day where you are always down on your luck. It is also a day where an abundance of tattoo shops (and sometimes piercers) provide flash deals for $13 dollars.

The concept of getting a tattoo spontaneously on a day as unlucky as Friday the 13th seems like the last thing anyone should do, but for what it is worth, the phenomenon of this "holiday special" is hard to pass up.

1. No appointments. 

Most shops will only accept walk-ins and use a first-come, first-served system based on a sign-up sheet. Depending on the shop, you should plan accordingly because the wait time can be a long time. Some shops will announce a day before on social media of the modified shop times and how the day will progress, but expect to come early and wait quite some time.

2. Pick your favorite flash design.

Flash designs are sheets of designs creatively made by the artist before the event. In the spirit of Friday the 13th, most flash designs -usually the smaller ones with the number "13" hidden in it- start at the base price of $13 and are posted on the shop's social media pages. If you're looking for something more curated to your liking, today might not be the day to get a tattoo, but I am a firm believer that there's a design out there for everyone.

3. Research the artist.

If there is a tattoo style you specifically like, research tattoo artists who specialize in that style and see if they are having a Friday the 13th special. If you have never heard of the artist you are assigned to get a tattoo by, please look them up and view their previous work. Friday the 13th tattoos are a great deal, but that does not mean you have to sacrifice quality for it.

4. Research the shop.

Like researching your tattoo artist, you should always research the shop. A shop should always be clean, comforting, and informative. Friday the 13th is an extremely hectic day for tattoo shops, but even during the busiest rush, they should treat you like any other client they receive on a regular day. The tattoo shop that I went to for my Friday the 13th tattoo had a two hour wait time, but the floor manager still answered all my questions, provided me with water, and genuinely made my wait time worth it in the end.

5. Don't be cheap, tip your artist.

Most flash designs start at a base price of $13, but depending on the shop or tattoo artist some designs can be more expensive. Usually, when designs are more expensive than the average base price it is a more intricate design or it is bigger than the typical flash. It should go without saying, but tip your artist. Just because it is a day where tattoos are cheaper than usual, does notmean you can skip out on tipping your artist. They provided their time and craftsmanship and deserve to be tipped. If you can, bring cash with you because sometimes, shops will only accept cash on busy days like this and tipping the artist directly will make their day.

6. This is going to be on your body forever.

Tattoos are permanent. My first tattoo was a potted cactus on my ankle that I got done on Friday the 13th. The morning after I woke up, it still shocked me that this design was going to be on my ankle forever wherever I went -job interviews, formal events, etc. I even googled the price of how much it would cost if I decided to do laser removal (to which I discovered it was quadruple the amount I originally paid for the tattoo). Luckily, I am in love with my tattoo and live without regret, but many others cannot say the same. Your body is a temple, so make sure you will not wake up one day and regret the design forever.

7. Don't forget your license.

Like any other establishment that requires consent when you are modifying your body, you are going to have to sign an extensive amount of paperwork and prove that you are old enough to get a tattoo. This should be an obvious fact, but the amount of individuals that forget to bring their license when getting a tattoo or piercing is astonishing. You do not want to play the game of placing yourself in the queue for a tattoo then having to drive back home to get it, only to come back to the shop to realize you missed your name being called and have to wait all over again.

8. Always eat before getting a tattoo.

Everyone's body is different, but you should not go into a tattoo appointment starving or dehydrated. Your body is going to undergo a little bit of trauma from the needle permanently altering your body and you may get a little light-headed. Everyone gets a little anxious, but if you decide not to eat or drink anything beforehand, there is a possibility of you getting lightheaded to the point where you faint. It does not happen to everyone, but it happens. If the wait time ends up being longer than expected, bring snacks and water. The shop would much rather have you eating snacks in their lounge than fainting mid-session.

9. Location, location, location!

The decision of choosing where your design will be placed on your body is just as important as choosing the design itself. You should ask yourself several questions when choosing the location of where your tattoo is going to be placed forever; "do I want my tattoo to be visible?", "how painful will the process be if I get tattooed here?", "is this design going to fade out faster here?", etc. Some areas -like your elbows, the bottom of your feet, or inside of your lips- will eventually fade over time due to friction and sweat. If you plan on going into a professional field, you might want a tattoo placed in an area that is not visible. Everyone's different, but make sure you know where you want it.

10. Bring a friend.

Getting a tattoo, especially if it is your first time, is an anxious feeling. When your name gets called for your turn, your stomach drops a little and you feel like you are going to throw up from all the emotions you are feeling. You begin to question yourself, "am I really going to go through with this?" Bringing a friend along to hold your hand while someone is sticking a needle into your skin is nothing to be ashamed of. The process is more relaxed when you bring a support system to accompany you, but do not bring a posse to join you in the artist's workspace. Bring a friend who will support your decisions, make the time go by faster, and even get a tattoo with you.

11. Do not be under the influence .

Getting a tattoo under the influence is one of the stupidest things you can do along with getting a tattoo of your significant other's name or getting a tattoo because you lost a bet. More than likely, the shop will not even tattoo you if you are under the influence of alcohol or anything that clouds your judgment. Some shops emphasize the fact to not drink alcohol or even take drugs like aspirin the night before they thin out your blood and will make you bleed more during your session. Do not be that person, go in sober.

12.  Always say something. 

Things do not always go accordingly, it is Friday the 13th after all. Whether it is the design or the session itself, always say something if you are feeling hesitant and need that reassurance. The potted cactus design I picked out for my session originally had other intricate flowers on it and I had a voice in the back of my head that kept saying "do not get the flowers tattooed, the ink will bleed out together overtime." Usually, flash designs are not modified but it was a feeling I could not get over. I asked the tattoo artist if I could modify the design -even though he already placed the outline on my ankle- because of my fear, to which he happily agreed to do. He understood the fear I had and throughout the process kept asking me how I was feeling. This is not the time to wonder "what if?" Always say something to the artist if you are not feeling it.

13. It's okay to back out last minute.

You are not obligated to get a tattoo and at any point in time during the process, if you decide you do not want to go through with it, you do not have to go through with it. Tattoos are not for everyone and sometimes we let the adrenaline from the idea of getting a tattoo get the better of us. Do not let anyone peer pressure you into getting a tattoo you do not want and do not let anyone tell you you are a coward for backing out of a session. I cannot emphasize enough that you are allowed to decide the last minute, even after the tattoo tracing has been placed on you, that you can you do not have to go through with this. You are not less of a person for doing so and I commend you for sticking to your judgment.