13 Reasons Why You Should Watch '13 Reasons Why'

A show that deals with heavy subjects, such as suicide, substance abuse, and bullying in a profound yet haunting way that mimics real-life.

52
Refinery29

On Friday night, I logged back onto my Netflix account and started watching 13 Reasons Why. I never read the book, so I didn't know what to expect. But within the first 10 minutes of the show, I was hooked. It tells the story of Hannah Baker, a girl who killed herself, through a set of cassette tapes. I'll try to not spoil too much of it for anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the show yet, but there a lot of very important and relevant topics included in the show. After I finished binge-watching the show, I thought of my own 13 Reasons Why.....you should watch "13 Reasons Why."

1. The Production Value

The production team of this series is amazing. Selena Gomez produced the show, Oscar-winner Tom McCarthy directed it, and Tony-winner Brian Yorkey worked with the author, Jay Asher, to adapt this for the screen. It's visually appealing with showing gut-wrenching scenes in low, blue and black light while still showing glimpses of hope within the darkness. It is a true masterpiece.

2. The Music

With Selena Gomez on the production team, she obviously knows what music would be the best. The score for the show is brillant. The music reflects the emotions seen on the screen and are often strikingly haunting.

3. The Character Development

The characters are people that you can emphasize with and truly understand. Each character has an interesting background that plays into their role in the show. You can relate to certain situations in the character's lives and even understand why they made the decision they did.

4. The Emotion

The strong character development helps bring out the emotion in each of the characters, and you feel like you are experiencing their pain. You feel their pain, their guilt, their suffering, anger, jealousy, all of it. No viewer will walk away unscathed.

5. The Topics

The topics that are included in this are things that people go through every day. There is no sugar coating these issues and the show doesn't sugar coat them. It talks about bullying, rape, drugs and alcohol abuse, physical abuse, and suicide. This is a very large trigger warning as these are very sensitive topics, but topics that need more awareness.

6. The Contrast in Technology

The use of technology is spectacular. You have the use of the cassette tapes, iphones, photography negatives, and note passing. It shows the devastating consequences of how quickly things are passed around and how we all relate to eachother. The contrast of the different means of technology adds yet another engrossing layer to the show.

7. The Bystander Effect

The bystander effect is never explicitly said in the show, yet each of the characters takes part in it. They all see Hannah being bullied, some are even part of the problem, but no one does anything to stop it. This is an important effect and how to stop it needs to be taught to teens and young adults in order to help prevention of bullying and suicide.

8. The Guilt

What if just one person had helped her? The guilt that each of the characters feels is overwhelming for the viewer because you feel it too. I know I started to think about what if I had contributed to someone's pain in the past? The show forces everyone to be introspective and think about what you could have done and what you can do in the future.

9. How Fragile Everyone Really Is

13 Reasons Why shows that no one is as strong as they seem on the outside. Someone out there is not standing on sure footing, or someone else feels like they're drowing. It just shows that life is difficult and we need to help others find their footing or help them through the deep waters.

10. It's Not A 'Stupid Teen' Show

Yes, everyone loves to watch Gossip Girl and Teen Wolf, but this shows real teen life. This is not something to just watch on a casual day. This is heavy material, but it's real.

11. Everyone Has Their Own Story

Yes, Hannah's truth was her truth and Clay's truth was his. But everyone has their own story and you can't just assume that their going to be okay. Before you think that someone's life is easier than yours, it might not be. We never know what is truly going on in someone else's life.

12. This Is Real Life

Bullying, substance abuse, stalking, suicide, these are all things that happen to people every day. This is not to be taken lightly. We should learn the signs, help those who ask for help and not brush them away, take in an interest in other's lives, and stop assuming about other people.

13. How To Heal

Healing is a process. It's not done by a snap of the fingers or by some magic wand. That's why we need to be there for those who are trying to heal, reach out to people who might be having a hard time and help those who ask for help. Often times asking for help is the hardest part, so don't push them away.

Overall, this show was by far the best series I have seen. The production team did an amazing job on dealing with the fragility of the subjects, the emotion of the characters, and the story-line. Please watch this if you have the chance, and please help those in need.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Bullying and Cyber-Bullying: 800-273-8255 or text ANSWER to 839863

Depression and Bipolar Support: 800-273-TALK (8255)

Eating Disorders: 800-931-2237

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network: 800-656-HOPE (4673)

For more hotlines please visit: http://www.teenhealthandwellness.com/static/hotlin...