13 Reasons to Watch/ Read "13 Reasons Why"

It's more than just a show or a movie. It speaks on all different levels.

36

So, you're wondering why you should watch Netflix's new original series, 13 Reasons Why. And maybe, just maybe, you're even considering reading the book. I'm here to highly encourage you to, and I'll tell you why, 13 reasons why:

1. The book is beautifully written and yes, I know this might not seem relevant if you are just planning on watching the show, but it is. There are a good amount of changes from the book to the show, but one thing that remains is the quality. There isn't beauty in the main topic of the book/show, but there is in the small moments, in the good.

2.The show is beautifully filmed, for those who may have read the book, or who plan to, it is always wonderful to see what you read come to life. Whether or not you think it was accurate enough to the book, there is something magical in seeing any kind of perspective of something that previously existed only in your mind.

3.The soundtrack. I don't say this lightly, I take soundtracks very seriously. Besides hearing from Selena Gomez, who P.S. was an executive producer of the show (bonus points), it captured the mood in just the right way. But really, the song from the dance is what got me (you'll know it when you hear it).

4. You have to use your brain. It is hard, for many reasons, to wrap your head around. But, it is also partially a mystery, you wonder who could come next, what other reasons could she have, and how do these all connect. Far too many shows don't have a quality of thought in them anymore.

5.There are layers of plot. You hear about the past and the present at once, and both are done from multiple perspectives. Each character also has a ton going on with themselves as well, it isn't just Hannah's story, or even Clay's.

6.Hannah's Poem. This might not mean a lot to someone who isn't an English Major, but I found this to be incredibly important. Though they were different in the book and the show, both were meaningful and beautiful. Words say a lot, they have power, and her's were so unbelievable. To find out what's so great about this poem, you just have to crack open the book or press play.

7.It is made for everyone. (Teen and older) Anyone that reads or watches 13 Reasons Why will get something out of it. No matter your age or background, this is important. It can be related to anyone and that's because...

8. It's relevant. Though the book was published 10 years ago, the topic remains relevant, and may have even become more relevant. The show put's the situation of bullying into 2017 perspective by involving a lot more technology. We are forced to be reminded that this has not gone away, that it remains and will continue to be brought into media, watching this and talking about it is important!!

9. It is about so much more than suicide. The show and book both deal with endless amounts of topics that should be discussed. Some of these are sexual orientation, diversity, sexual assault, bullying, and mental illnesses.

10. The acting. Not only are the topics important to be talked about and portrayed, but the actors did an incredible job doing it. Viewers are forced to watch scenes that are hard, and they should be, this show shouldn't be easy to watch, as it isn't easy to read. The actors made sure to capture each scene in a meaningful way, showing it in a realistic way that may have been done before, but not in that way.

11. It makes us talk about suicide. Just think about how many times I've mentioned it in this article. People are so afraid to talk about it, and this is one of the reasons it keeps happening. If people are willing and able to discuss it, then maybe we would all understand it better, before it is too late for someone. Reminder that it is real, and not just something in a book or a show.

12. Your heart will break and it should. Again, this is real. It is heartbreaking. More than one heartbreak is guaranteed in watching or reading this. It should because it means something, though it may impact each of us differently, we will all be heartbroken together.

13. It teaches us to be kind to one another. By the end, this should be clear. There is so much guilt and regret visible in the characters of 13 Reasons Why. Clay said it best, "The way we treat each other, and look out for each other. It has to get better somehow." There are many things that we may not feel in control of, things that we may feel we are unable to do, the one thing that we can do is be kind. Not just so that someone doesn't do what Hannah did, but just to be good human beings. We can build each other up, or we can break each other down, it is all on us to decide.