13 Reasons Why Good Will Hunting Is The Best Movie Ever Made

"How do you like them apples?"

6244

1. The screenplay was written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, who also happen to be childhood besties in real life.

How cool is that?

2. The location.

Not only is the location great because it's based around the wonderful city of Boston, it's great because it's so authentic! Affleck and Damon actually grew up together in Cambridge, MA where the film is based.

3. The friendship between Will, Billy, Chuckie, and Morgan.

The loyalty among this friend group was the glue that held this movie together. These guys accept each other for every weird obnoxious thing they do(most of them coming from Chuckie), and they remind the audience that family does not just come in one form.

4. And especially, the friendship between just Will and Chuckie.

The monologue from Chuckie to Will about how the best part of his day is when he walks up to Will's door and hopes that Will has left is one of my favorite parts of the entire film. "No goodbye, no see you later, no nothin'." It's friendship in the truest form.

5. The wicked good Boston accents.

Boston accents are so much fun to listen to and they're definitely an icon when it comes to this beloved film. The fast-talking and faded R's definitely add a distinguished, recognizable quality to the movie. Also, as mentioned above, Ben and Matt grew up in Cambridge, so the accents they used, though a bit exaggerated, are the real deal.

6. It also introduced us to some wicked awesome, quotable lines.

7. A large number of significant lines were unscripted.

The very last line of the film in fact, was made up on the spot by Robin Williams.

8. The phenomenal acting.

Every role in this movie was cast and performed to utter perfection. Not one actor seemed out of place in the role they played. The performances were incredibly powerful and believable, and definitely one of the biggest reasons that this movie was such a beloved success.

9. The Soundtrack.

Elliot Smith was responsible for many of the wonderful songs heard in this movie; each one adding a perfect element to the scene in which it is featured.

10. It develops a unique relationship between the audience and the main character.

Typically, the main character(s), in a movie is working towards a goal, and the audience is right by their side cheering them on. In this film, that is not the case. Will Hunting is not embracing his intellectual gift, in fact he seems hell-bent on wasting it. This creates a growing frustration in the viewers of the film, causing the audience to root for him even more. This idea creates a fascinating depth to a fairly simple concept.

11. The chemistry between Minnie Driver and Matt Damon is undeniable.

The effortless interactions between Skylar and Will kept the audience rooting for them, without the writers needing to focus the whole movie on their relationship.

12. It incorporates the perfect amount of lighthearted humor into a movie based on a serious premise.

This movie plunges into great emotional depth, addressing the psychological effects of abuse, while at the same time indulging us in witty banter and comical exchanges.

13. Robin Williams (R.I.P.)

No one cou�ld play the role of Sean Maguire better than this talented man. The powerful monologue he delivers in the Boston Public Garden is so resonating and it became so famous that when he passed, a memorial was created for him on the very bench where he delivered it.