13 Pros and Cons for Watching 13 Reasons Why

3449
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/04/26/6362878800955097861464006061_13-reasons-why-hannah-baker-poster.jpg

13 Reasons Why is a show that has sparked a lot of controversy. Whether people are arguing for or against the show, I thought I'd compile 13 pros and cons of the hit show, 13 Reasons Why.

Pro

It stemmed from an amazing book. Which by the way, you should read it!

Pro

It starts a conversation about everything from rape, to bullying, to suicide. We need to break the stigma!

Pro

It will satisfy the need for you to binge watch a show and trust me… you won’t be able to stop watching.

Pro

It puts the reality of suicide into the spotlight.

Pro

If you think bullying doesn’t affect people, you are surely mistaken.

Pro

If you think that suicide is cowardly, or “an easy way out”, you will be opened to the harsh reality that it is not.

Pro

It really makes you think… what would you do if you received a tape? How much do your actions really affect people?

Con

It does not address Mental Illness, which is a HUGE factor in suicide.

Con

In some cases, people can feel suicidal even with a support system, this is where qualified professionals and therapy come in, hotlines, medication, etc. The show never gives any hope to those who may be in Hannah’s shoes in real life.

Con

There are very very VERY rarely only 13 reasons why a person kills themselves. And it is not truthful or fair to either parties to say so.

Con

If you have ever been suicidal, it is triggoring. This is a big one. According to the Suicide and Mental Health ­Association International’s report on Suicide Contagion, the media should not sensationalize the event or glamorize the victim or act. When the event is described or shown in detail, it only further increases suicidal thoughts in those that are struggling with their mental health.

Con

Too many people identify with Hannah. We’ve all been bullied and we’ve all felt like we have no way out. The show, instead of offering hope, reveals that the only logical way out for Hannah is suicide.

Con

Spoilers are everywhere!