Telling people you're from Brazil can conjure up a variety of reactions... as well as some preconceived notions. So, here's 13 things people actually believe about Brazil and it's people:
1) No, I don't speak "Brazilian."
Guys. Seriously. It's Portuguese.
2) No, I didn't have a pet monkey growing up.
3) Yes, I can speak Spanish. No, it's not the same language.
Honestly, now it's just sounding ignorant
4) The country is NOT a continuous party.
5) Not everyone is tan.
6) The chances of you getting robbed are not as high as you think.
I mean, I lived there for 10 years and was never once robbed.
7) Rio is NOT our capital.
Neither is São Paulo. C'mon guys, it's Brasilia.
8) Not everyone knows how to/enjoys Samba.
Hate to burst your bubble but...
9) We have major beef with Argentina
That beef lasts about 10 minutes after a soccer game tbh
10) Every place you go is tropical and "beachy"
Going to São Paulo is the equivalent of going to Manhattan...except you're in Brazil. No floral shirts there.
11) The Amazon Forest is actually very far from Rio and São Paulo
Most Brazilians don't ever even go there
12) Brazilian women are "easy"
We're actually very traditional and like to be wooed before anything happens. You're gonna have to try hard #sorrynotsorry.
13) We prefer casual flings then long term relationships
Honestly we're just like everyone else in the world. We want to love and be loved in return. Simple.