"How I Met Your Mother" Quotes About Life And Love

Our 5 favorite people know exactly what they're talking about

34
tvguide

We all want to be Ted's best friend, go on a double date with Marshall and Lily, go on adventures with Barney, and go laser tagging with Robin. This show always keeps the laughs coming. Not only are there laughs but there's plenty of great quotes that "How I Met Your Mother" gives us along the way. Here's some quotes from our favorite people:

1. "Because sometimes even if you know how something's going to end that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride." Ted
2. "Lily, there are a million reasons why I love you. You make me laugh, you take care of me when I’m sick, you’re sweet, caring and you even created an egg dish and named it after me. She puts a little Italian dressing on the eggs before she cooks them, it’s called Eggs Marshall and it’s awesome. But the main reason is you’re my best friend, Lily. You’re the best friend I’ve ever had." Marshall
3. "We’re going to get older whether we like it or not, so the only question is whether we get on with our lives, or desperately cling to the past." Ted
4. "Look, you can’t design your life like a building. It doesn’t work that way. You just have to live it… and it’ll design itself." Lily
5. "A word of advice: play along. The more you fight it, the worse it’s gonna get. It’s like when your car slides on ice, you stir into the skid" Ted
6. "In marriage, being right is less important than being supportive. Remember: Happy wife equals happy life." Lily
7. "I’ve never asked Lily to do anything “no questions asked” because I never wanted to. She’s the love of my life. I never keep anything from her." Marshall
8. "I used to be in such a hurry all the time. Everything was so urgent. Now I figured, if it’s going to happen it’ll happen when it happens. I’m not going anywhere, she’s not going anywhere. What’s the rush, right?" Ted
9. "That's how it goes kids. The friends, neighbors, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you're young, as the years go by, you just lose touch. You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That's why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it." Ted
10. "Shouldn't we hold out for the person who doesn't just tolerate our little quirks but actually kinda likes them?" Ted
11. "The future is scary, but you can't just run back to the past because it's familiar. Yes it's tempting, but it's a mistake." Robin and Barney
12. "I know it's a mistake, but there are certain things in life where you know it's a mistake but you don't really know it's a mistake because the only way to really know it's a mistake is to make the mistake and look back and say 'yep, that was a mistake.' So really, the bigger mistake would be to not make the mistake, because then you'd go your whole life not knowing if something is a mistake or not." Lily
13. "The great moments of your life won't necessarily be the things you do, they'll also be the things that happen to you. Now, I'm not saying you can't take action to affect the outcome of your life, you have to take action, and you will. But never forget that on any day, you can step out the front door and your whole life can change forever. You see, the universe has a plan, kids, and that plan is always in motion. A butterfly flaps its wings, and it starts to rain. It's a scary thought, but it's also kind of wonderful. All these little parts of the machine constantly working, making sure that you end up exactly where you're supposed to be, exactly when you're supposed to be there. The right place at the right time." Ted