13 Ohio Gems That You Don't Want To Miss Out On This Summer

Who says you can't find adventure in the Buckeye state?
179

Summer is right around the corner. If you're looking for adventure in Ohio, surprisingly enough, there are many places to explore that are scattered all throughout the state. Here are just a few examples of summer adventure destinations that Ohio has to offer — time to plan a road-trip!

1. Southbass Island

Put-In-Bay, Ohio.

Spend a weekend on the island. Put-In-Bay offers lodging, shopping, entertainment, monuments and makes for a unique summer experience. Enjoy Lake Erie, the view of Cedar Point in the distance and rent a golf-cart for days full of sunshine and island adventures.

2. Ohio Caverns

West Liberty, Ohio.

Known as America's most colorful caverns and one of Ohio's most popular tourist attractions, this 35 acre-park makes for a full day of adventure. Explore the caves with guided tours, sift for gems and learn the history of this rich, natural beauty.

3. Aut-O-Rama: Twin Drive-in Theater

North Ridgeville, Ohio.

Open from the beginning of April until the end of September. Double screens mean double movies — each night patrons can enjoy two movies per screen. This is perfect if your family or friends can't agree on one movie — visit Aut-O-Rama and find a movie for everyone!

4. African Safari Wildlife Park

Port Clinton, Ohio.

With a drive-thru and walk-thru safari experience, you will get up close with exotic animals you don't see every day! Pet a giraffe, feed a Bison - every moment is full of excitement, laughter and life-long memories.

5. Botanical Gardens

Cleveland, Ohio.

11 different garden experiences that are guaranteed to provide serenity, excitement and a whole new outlook on nature and all its beauty. The Cleveland Botanical Gardens will all your senses for

6. Ohio State Reformatory

Mansfield, Ohio.

The home of history, hauntings and the filming of the Shawshank Redemption. You will walk the corridors and sit in the same cells as some of history's most infamous prisoners. Enjoy the architecture, stories, paranormal activity hunts and rich history of one of Ohio's most unique destinations.

7. Duck Tape Festival

Avon, Ohio.

June 14th-16th at Veteran's Memorial Park. Experience a unique festival event including rides, food, entertainment, craft vendors, and even a Duck Tape parade and fashion show. You can put your creativity to the test as you enjoy colorful activities to celebrate America's most beloved tape brand.

8. Cedar Point

Sandusky, Ohio.

Do you live for action-packed entertainment? Are you seeking a good thrill? America's Rockin' Roller Coast is the place to be. Stay in one of their lake-side reports and make it a weekend full of fun — you are all clear and out of here!

9. Hocking Hills State Park

Hocking, Ohio.

Enjoy an Ohio "staycation" by renting out a cabin and exploring nature. With caves, waterfalls, ziplines, hiking trails, local outdoor festivals and much more, Hocking Hills may just me the get-away you've been searching for.

10. Columbus Zoo and Aquarium/Zoombezi Bay

Columbus, Ohio.

Deemed one of the best Zoos in the U.S, and definitely Ohio, you'll find some pretty incredible exhibits when you visit the Columbus Zoo. Sure, maybe they don't have Fiona the Hippo, but does the Cincinnati Zoo also have an outdoor waterpark? I think not.

11. Vectren Dayton Air Show

Dayton, Ohio.

June 23rd and 24th at the Dayton International Airport. Heading to the Vectren Dayton Airshow equals a weekend full of heart-pounding air performances, activities to enjoy with the family, and a chance to get up close and personal with amazing aircraft and pilots.

12. Chateau Laroche

Loveland, Ohio.

For only $5 a person, you will explore all wonders that a castle, built in the 1920s has to offer. Complete with sword and various weapon collections, historic documentation of knights and ghost stories, this destination is one you don't want to miss out on.

13. Tree Frog Canopy Tours

Glenmont, Ohio.

You'll venture outside of your comfort zone, push your limits and feel the adrenaline as you soar through the treetops. A premier location for those who are looking to enjoy nature and get away from the everyday tasks of life and work — it's like a city in the trees.