13 Harry Potter Quotes That Apply To Real Life

'Read more, see more.'

710
Youth Are Awesome

The Harry Potter series is a world-wide phenomenon that has touched the lives of many. Almost everyone knows at least some small details about the series. Harry Potter has brought comfort to those who sought for it within the books, as well as created a new world for people to explore in their minds. Some may view the series as "just 7 books" or "8 movies", but within these books and movies are many thoughts and ideas that speak many truths in the real world. If more people read these words, digested their meaning, and considered how applicable they are to our daily lives we might live in a different society.

1. “Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both influencing injury, and remedying it.” -Dumbledore

Albus Dumbledore is a genius. There's no way around it. This quote speaks volumes to writing and the power behind it. The most powerful wizard is saying that something as mundane as words are the greatest type of magic. If that doesn't make you feel like the wizard you've always wanted to be, then I don't know what will.

2. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” –Sirius Black

This quote is really something to think about when you are trying to find out who a person really is. In our lives it is always easy to treat someone who is your equal in a pleasant way, you don't think they are better than you or below you. When you are forced to interact with someone who is not an equal, the true test is if you treat them as if they are. If someone is able to do that, it shows that they are a good person.

3. “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” -Dumbledore

As humans we struggle to forgive people who have wronged us. We tend to be more willing to forgive people who were in the wrong because it makes us feel superior to that person. But when we forgive those who were right, we feel inferior to them.

4. "You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve." -Ginny Weasley

This quote says a lot about bravery and about changing as a person. Many of us have thoughts of doing things that scare us but we don't act on those thoughts. When you work up the nerve and finally conquer something you thought to be impossible, other actions don't seem to be as daunting.

5. "We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” -Dumbledore

This quote is closely related to the thought process that no one is born evil (I mean even Voldemort had to have some sort of good in him at one point, right?). Peoples thoughts can be be both good and bad, but if they react in the negative way that speaks to who they truly are as a person.

6. “We are all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” –Kingsley Shacklebolt

Kingsley hit the nail on the head with this one. More people need to recognize the truth behind the fact that we are all human. No life is worth more than another. If everyone could see this the world would be a different place.

7. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” -Dumbledore

People feel pain both physically and mentally. Generally people try to avoid pain as much as possible. We tend to push it away and avoid feeling the pain because it seems like it is easier. But Dumbledore speaks the truth. Pain will always be felt, even if it is long after the specific incident. The longer you wait to feel it, the worse it will hurt.

8. "Always." -Snape

This is such a simple word, but there is so much meaning behind it. Always is a promise, and it is used too frequently. The phrase is used loosely, when it should saved for those who actually mean it. Snape saying this held a lot of explanation behind why he was so awful to Harry in the series. But it also meant more than just the definition of the word.

9. “Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living, and above all those who live without love.” -Dumbledore

People who go through their lives without love truly are missing out. Many feel bad for those who have passed on, but they moved onto the next phase. Those who are deceased are able to pass onto a better place and reach some sort of inner peace. Who better to trust than a (roughly) 115 year old wizard who lived through the rise, fall, and rise of Voldemort?

10. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?” -Dumbledore

More people should consider this quote when they are feeling like their thoughts and ideas aren't worth taking to the next step. Everything in our lives came from an idea, and if those ideas aren't acted upon we would be living in an entirely different world. So act upon ideas, make them a reality.

11. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light." -Dumbledore

Every situation has an upside. Even if it is only a tiny spec of light at the end of the tunnel, you have to look for it. But to see the light you have to think positively, negativity will only darken the tunnel. Living for (again, roughly) 115 years will teach you a few things about turning around bad times.

12. “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” -Dumbledore

This speaks a lot to people who come from backgrounds that they aren't proud of. People can be who they want to be, but it requires work and effort for change to occur. This is also important to remember this quote when judging other people based on their past.

13. "Even though we come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one." -Dumbledore

This quote needs to be printed on bumper stickers, sewn onto flags, and be plastered on every sign. Our world has so much chaos and destruction in it, if more people remembered this simple idea the chaos and turmoil would stop. We come from different backgrounds, but we all work best together as one.