13 Great Conversation Starters For Those Awkward Silences

Did you know...?

513
Alexis Brown

You know those times when you're having a great conversation and suddenly it just stalls? Or even worse, just sitting there not knowing where to start? That lull is not only awkward, but pretty uncomfortable when you're both desperately searching for a way to fill the space.

Although the best relationships are those in which you're completely comfortable sitting in silence, sometimes you just need that little push.

Conversations can take serious or even random, wacky turns, but as long as you're filling that space, you're gold. The following are 13 conversation starters for when you're in a social rut.

1. The Weather.

Baby steps, right?

Believe it or not, with a little creativity and imagination, this topic can get pretty interesting. Just recently, a friend and I decided to spend the first part of a long car ride discussing cloud types, which led to a random invention of "the cloud market" instead of the stock market.

For example, what if clouds were like celebrities, and received royalties for every time we talked about them? We would pay these royalties in tears, which led to a surplus and inflation in the market, and thus, rain.

Random, right? You're probably scratching your head and wondering what on earth we were on at the time, but you can bet there wasn't a dull moment!

2. Discuss your childhood and current spirit animals.

What kind of animal did you want to be when you were a kid, and if you want to be something different now, what caused this change? We all evolve from childhood to adulthood, so make it a fun story!

3. Point out the elephant in the room.

You both know the silence is awkward and uncomfortable, so why not talk about it?

You're bound to spin off into another conversation about why society expects us to fill spaces, and how you love being able to sit quietly with no pressure for conversation.

4. Is there anything you wanted to do as a child that seems silly now?

You could talk about how you used to pretend you were the singer on the radio, or how you wanted to be Mary Poppins and live in the clouds (OK, those were mine). My sister used to want to grow up to be Hello Kitty, and that's when I realized that we really couldn't be anything we wanted to be, simply by wanting it bad enough.

Whatever the case, I guarantee you'll find some great stories to laugh about. Just make sure you aren't drinking anything when you talk about it.

5. Disney.

This conversation starter literally requires only the one word -- at least in my friend group. It could branch off into a myriad of different conversations, from Disney parks, themed weddings and parties, sing-alongs, and just our pure love for it.

You could talk about how much you loved it as a kid, and even more now that you can really appreciate it. Or, if you're really feeling bold, you can talk about how much you dislike it (if that's even possible).

From trivia to the history of Walt Disney Co., you can pull hours of conversation from your back pocket.

6. Hold a trivia contest.

Did you know...?

See how many times you can trip your friend up. Not only does this make great conversation, but it can also be a fun game.

7. What was your first concert?

Just like Disney, you can never go wrong with music. Talk about your favorites, your inspirations, trivia, or even the history behind it all. Literally hours and days of content are at your fingertips.

9. Android vs. Apple

What's your stance on this controversial tech debate? In high school, I remember this guy coming up to me, sitting down and asking me out of nowhere, "So what do you like more, Android or Apple?"

All I'd ever owned was Android, so I just responded with Android, to which he asked me "why?" I felt like it was an odd question to ask a stranger, but it certainly got a conversation started.

10. Childhood and current celebrity crushes.

Who knows, maybe you had (or have) the same ones?

11. The last thing you read.

You can talk about the last book you read, the last news article, or even the last menu you perused. Anything can be fuel for conversation.

12. Conspiracy theories.

JFK, Roswell, Russia...you name it, you can talk about it. Things can get heated in no time.

13. Movie theories.

Speaking of conspiracies, go to town debating different theories within your favorite movie franchises.

What are some conversation starters you have stashed away for a rainy day?